EZR's Full Suspension Summer Project

GoldenMotor.com

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
40+ miles eh, my butt's sore looking at the pictures, how did yours hold up? (c) Walter F. P.S. see they can be made reliable, good job with your build & nice bike!!!

Fosscati

Jul 3, 2008
Ocean Shores, NSW
Do you think you could fit a honda 50cc engine in that frame?
Darcy
No way can a Honda go into that frame cos there's nowhere near enough room but you can't have swinging rear arms on a frame-mount anyway because it changes the chain length while you're riding but you could probably have a rack mounted motor.

Fosscati

Jul 3, 2008
Ocean Shores, NSW
Well back to my progress on my bike. LOL
We mounted the motor and started working on the pipe. I need to get a chain tommarrow. Dean put a 47 tooth sprocket temporarly on it until Andrew finishes the 56 tooth sprocket. After that it should be ready to fire up in a couple of days.QUOTE]

Easy, is that a Morini motor? What size or model is it? Won't the chain change length when the rear suspension compresses or is it pivoted around the drive sprocket so the arc of the axle is always the same length from the drive sprocket?

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Fosscati, I removed the rear shock and converted it to a hard tail. It actually worked out pretty good. I ended up putting a chain adjuster in its place. The motor is a 5.8hp.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
40+ miles eh, my butt's sore looking at the pictures, how did yours hold up?
I rode standing on the pedals most of the time. My arms are like rubber this morning...and my butt is a little sore. lol :ride2:
I'm glad I replaced my seat with a new spring loaded gel seat before this trip.

Last edited:

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
The 3hp hp is probably the perfect motor for bicycles. They are thinner than mine and since the cylinder is cast iron, the motor is unbelievably quiet. I rode the 3 hp bicycle the other day and was pleasantly surprised how fast it was and the power band was smooth.
so, Easy, is there a kit anywhere using the 3hp engine? if not, would the less technically proficient among us have any chance of cobbling together a bike using that engine?

man, that bike you've built is beyond cool! that's a great leap forward from anything i've yet seen.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks for the complements guys. I couldn't be more happier with the outcome of my bike. I finally made it back home (5 hours later) where the weather is a nice 80 degrees in the sun.
UncleKudzu, I would call Dean at Pipelyne. He makes the kits and the pipe is included. (408) 279-2307
I talked to the owner of the 3 hp bike and he told me he already has 1300 miles on it and it runs better now then when it was new.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I was wondering how the rear suspension was going to work out. I was thinking that you would need to run a jackshaft down to the pivot point and then back to the rear, I know that if you are below or above the pivot the chain changes tension. I know you will figure a way to solve it, we've seen all the fine work you have put out. You may be able to put a sprocket on the pedal shaft on a bearing so not to interfere with the pedals, that would be another way to get in line. Have fun, Dave
I wasn't too disappointed with the fact that it didn't work. Dean at Pipelyne/SCSW wanted to hack up the frame to make it work but I told him that I really liked the bike as a bicycle w/o the motor. That's only one of the reasons he didn't do it. The 2nd reason is Dean will be making Chrome moly full suspension frames for these motors real soon.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
what kind of motor are you running?
Its an Italian 5.8hp 50cc 6 port 2 cycle motor with a centrifugal clutch. Lean Dean from Pipelyne did the motor mounts and got the motor to fit in perfectly. Everything is aligned and feels smooth at top speed. (mid 40's)

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Re: Facelift

The current front shocks I have on my bike are decent but I got lucky yesterday and got these pair of downhill forks pretty cheap. Since I'm on a 2 week restriction (From the Mrs.) for my last incident yesterday. haha I'll have plenty of time to install these.:D

gb123

Apr 7, 2008
San Jose
The fork looks awesome EZ! But you better check June 2007 Consumer Reports and August 2007 Downhill Biker magazine. That Stratosshocks model MX61 and the OEM Stratos Innovations, are currently involved in a liability suit. The fork ends are weak and seperate from the cast fork tubes. There have been several incidents, some very serious. Contact the MFG at 800 436-0872 for more information.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The fork looks awesome EZ! But you better check June 2007 Consumer Reports and August 2007 Downhill Biker magazine. That Stratosshocks model MX61 and the OEM Stratos Innovations, are currently involved in a liability suit. The fork ends are weak and seperate from the cast fork tubes. There have been several incidents, some very serious. Contact the MFG at 800 436-0872 for more information.
I can't believe something that looks like it was built with quality in mind and made of billet parts would fall apart so easliy.
That # you gave was really helpful and they answered all of my questions about the forks.

Very Funny Gary!rotfl

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Well Gary, I installed the forks and jumped them off of every curb on my street at high speeds and for some strange reason the forks didn't fall apart on me...very strange. :D

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I've enjoyed watching your build on this forum the bike looks to be top of the line. I wish you could have a working rear shock that would really set off that bike, but it is in a class by itself. Good job.(^)(^)
Norman