Electric Start

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I spent an evening looking at all the electric hub motors. Put one on the front, and you have a means of moving off, bump start if you want, or sneaking up on someone with the electric.

ne2rk

Jul 31, 2010
chicago
I mounted a razor scooter electric motor to my motorbike on the freewheel side(right side) and i use it too start my china slant jug 2stroke 47cc motor(raw is the company). It also is good for overdrive. I can't afford one of those hub electric motors so this was my only option. Check out my picture or post ive posted in the past.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I always wanted to build a hybrid. Using a "soft start" power controler and the guts from elec wheel chair. There was an elec chainsaw out in the 70s (mini brute) that was great 12 volt motor . Ran into same old problem of weight and craming everything in bike frame. Would be cool to be able to press start button run up to engine speed then fire gas motor. Super cool if one could capture braking froce to charge batt like hybrid car . Nice gel cel batt farliy safe acid wise ,still don't want it up my back side in a crash . Seems like almost everything put forward on this forum gets done eventualy though...

madwheels37

Jul 27, 2010
Bradenton, FL
The main thing i wanted besides even doing what everyone is talking about which is also in my dreams (the hybrid run the electric til it starts the gas), but more i was taling about like the pull start type with or without the centrifugal clutch and just like a regular motorbike have a key turn incorporated into the system. or maybe even put an electric motor turn your motor over to start it up. Anyway all very great ideas and actually put into motion a few of my own from yours so thanks very much for all your posts and replies.

ne2rk

Jul 31, 2010
chicago
If you use a normal bicycle engine mount kit. and ditch the pedals/cranks and put a old razor electric motor parts or kit on the freewheel side(myn is 3speed HUB!). You can "soft start" like dude said. pop clutch. then fly on gas(maybee even charging battery's when running gas, if not freewheeled but then you have drag). put it into neutral and kill gas motor.(this is where i put it into 3rd gear :)...) then use electric motor as over drive.

When i did this, it felt amazing at that speed with only the noise of electric motor and mini chain. I say go for it!

Unless you can afford a electric hub and/or very good battery's. Go hybrid/assist. toss a light 2-stroke in the project. i call myn gas/electric assistance. not a hybrid until its recycle-tive power.

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
On my next build (just collecting parts right now) I was seriously thinking about electric start...I'll be using a 5hp Techumseh engine from a snow blower...all I need to do is replace the 120v starter with a 12v motorcycle unit.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
pocket bike motor with electric/pull start.ive got one new for 100 a few years back to replace a blown one on my kids pocket bike.thinking about buying another for a occ project.problem might be mounting motor and chaining it.the pocket bike motor chain drive is on the right so i would need a shaft to put it on left.then theres the prob of mounting battery box.but i think it can be done.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
On my next build (just collecting parts right now) I was seriously thinking about electric start...I'll be using a 5hp Techumseh engine from a snow blower...all I need to do is replace the 120v starter with a 12v motorcycle unit.
I think if you can find a 7hp snowblower or a 8hp lawn tractor starter it would bolt right inplace of the 120 unit. And maybe even the 11hp's...............Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have a old Case garden tractor. It has a 12 volt generater on it that is belt drive off the flywheel with a big pully the same diamiter as the outside of the flywheel. It has two posts on it so it can also be used as a starter. What I am getting at is any brush style motor will put out juice if spun and inturn will also start in normal mode. I think all you would need is some kind of regulater to control the output voltage. The old Case has a regular old style voltage regulater..............Curt

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Maybe parts could be adapted fron an electerc start go-ped motor. They have a small permanant magnet motor/generator mounted between the recoil starter and flywheel.
Most any starter motor can double as a generator, if it is modified to use ball bearings instead of bushings. And carbon brushes instead of sintered copper.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes. also the old Case tractors had auto decompresion releses( kohler engines ) ,so one might have to do the same. Ace hardwere has brushes in stock if you could find one to work. Electric motor supply for bearings.
Sure would be neet if you got one working..............Curt