E-trike

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
My wife has become interested in buying a e-trike, we don’t want a strip down model but one with hydraulic disc brakes and enough power for a fairly good trip. I’m asking all of the electric guys to tell me what watt we need, thanks in advance.

Reactions: Tony01 and fasteddy

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
My wife has become interested in buying a e-trike, we don’t want a strip down model but one with hydraulic disc brakes and enough power for a fairly good trip. I’m asking all of the electric guys to tell me what watt we need, thanks in advance.
You’ll save and get a better product if you build it yourself. I would shop for a trike with the brakes you want then buy a fwd hub motor kit. Make sure you get the torque arms as well. Like This kit. For a battery you’ll get a bigger and better deal from this company called Amorge I’m hearing good things about. Ask for a price on a 48v 25ah. So I’ll assume you’re looking to go 30mph max, so something in the range of 1000-2000w is fine.

I normally don’t recommend fwd kits however, with trikes it is more complicated because they can only run a mid drive rear as they’re usually 1-wheel drive.

93732A29-B456-4FEE-9A56-721051EC138C.jpeg

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Thanks Tony, we will be riding mostly in campgrounds which have a posted 15 mph speed, there’s a company called Lectric that makes a folding trike with rear wheel drive and had a differential, at 5’2” she has problems with most bikes.

Reactions: fasteddy

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I looked it up, that a long way 60 mile for a camp bike, and with a differential both wheel will be turning, that I think should be perfect…………Curt

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I have built a number of bikes and trikes using both gas and electric hub motors. I now have a Lectric 3 wheeler on order. It should ship this month (April) it had hydraulic brakes as well as a differential rear drive and the price is reasonable. If you do go the build it yourself route you probably will need a hub motor. I really don't like those due to wheel slip. The Lectric has rear wheel drive.