Dump Find!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
I was at the dump today when i saw this road bike... it was rusty, tires flat and stuff... i took it home and looked at it closer to see that it was a Chinese bike, from Shanghai from a company called "Yong Jiu" it is really cool ill post picks later. Its braking system doesn't use wires instead it uses metal rods. It has a spring saddle that needs to be "recovered and it has this really cool locking system that still works and has the key!!! if any one knows any thing about these bikes please say something. I am planning on restoring it over winter. :D

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
they're called "rod brakes." a lot of english and japanese bikes still use them.

those locks are cool, too. it stops the "theft of convenience" (like leaving your bike out front at the liquor store for a minute.

most of those bikes have an oddball tire size, like 26x1 3/8 and they can be hard to find, since there's a schwinn size, an american size, and an english size all claiming to be the same thing, but they're not.

the seat alone was a great score.

Barely Awake has a similar bike he started a thread on.

i've got one too, rusting away in my backyard i'm eventually gonna fix up for a buddy, without a motor.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If any bike was asking for a Chinese motor, that's it. Cool bike. A little bikebug motor up front would be just right and period correct. although wrong country. Bikebugs were made by Tanaka of Japan, set up like a Solex, but smaller. I love shopping for bikes at the dump. I've found lots of good parts and a few good whole bikes. The top find remains a 1950 Schwinn Panther. Hard to beat that one, but I keep looking for an Elgin Bluebird anyway... ha!

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
wow!...wadda dump find....i've never seen anythin like that....rod linkage...way cool...when you restore can you have all the decals reproduced?....maybe do them yourself with photo-shop an decal blank paper?....any idea of the vintage?...history?.....enjoy the resto!

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Great find. I have found a good many bikes at the dump in the past but never find any now. We have a lot of unemployment and the price of scrap iron is up pretty good. The pickers beat me to them now.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
wow!...wadda dump find....i've never seen anythin like that....rod linkage...way cool...when you restore can you have all the decals reproduced?....maybe do them yourself with photo-shop an decal blank paper?....any idea of the vintage?...history?.....enjoy the resto!
Could you elaborate on making your own decals? I didn't know that was possible... do you have to have photoshop, will something like picasa work or some kind of freeware?
SB

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
Could you elaborate on making your own decals? I didn't know that was possible... do you have to have photoshop, will something like picasa work or some kind of freeware?
SB
hey bear.....there is copier paper availiable so you can print on it and cut your own decals!...im sure it doesn't/ isn't exclusive to any one program...im surprised no one here has mentioned it before?..ill try to find it on another window an see if i can post a link.....

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
hey bear maybe this should be posted for all to see?.....i can only think that it would open up a can o' worms for all of the builders to use?....oh the endless possabilites.....custom logos.....theme bikes....etc.....nice !.....and you guys all thought i was crazy?................

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
hey bear maybe this should be posted for all to see?.....i can only think that it would open up a can o' worms for all of the builders to use?....oh the endless possabilites.....custom logos.....theme bikes....etc.....nice !.....and you guys all thought i was crazy?................
Sure, open it up with a new thread. I haven't followed up on the link yet, but will. Wonder if this is strictly for stickers or also water decals...
As for being crazy, chances are good if you're here for very long. Gotta be slightly nuts to even find this place. Tinkering with bikes is a good kind of crazy, though. Ha!
SB

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Yep, It's brown, and there are millions of them! China, Korea, Thailand, are some of the places. I had one years ago. There like the Ford Model T for those country's. Good find! (c)

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
Sure, open it up with a new thread. I haven't followed up on the link yet, but will. Wonder if this is strictly for stickers or also water decals...
As for being crazy, chances are good if you're here for very long. Gotta be slightly nuts to even find this place. Tinkering with bikes is a good kind of crazy, though. Ha!
SB
well i'll pass it off to you to handle....yeah i hit 50.....and im playin w/bicycles again?....when i was 8 i was the neighborhood garage for the "bikers"..and now im the neighborhood fix-it guy in our humble lil subdivison.....funny how things change but they don't................

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
That looks like a Flying Pidgeon (no joke). Google it and you'll see the similarities. Maybe that company that you cited actually makes the Flying Pidgeon? Those are very trendy bikes right now in places like New York and San Francisco,etc

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Free Graphic Editors I recommend:

GIMP

Paint.net

Either work well as a graphic editor but paint.net is easier to use than GIMP. Both have plug in effects available as well as custom brushes, either are a free alternative to Photo Shop and much easier to use.

Making decals is easy enough:

1. : Design your decals using any graphic software program. (Use 8 1/2 " x 11" sheet BEL INK JET Decal Paper or cut sheet into half if desired.)
  2. : Set your printer as follows:

Resolution = Best
    Paper = Photo Gloss
    (Print your decal on the glossy side of BEL INK JET Decal Paper.)

3. : Spray your printed sheet evenly with Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear High Gloss spray until the sheet has a shine (2-3 coats). Allow 30 to 60 minutes to dry and set. (This product is available at any craft or hardware store such as Loews, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Walmart, etc. Any acrylic clear coat spray will work.)
  4. : Cut out your image using a standard pair of sharp household scissors.
  5. : Place decal into a cup of clean water for 45-60 seconds and remove when the thin decal film begins to slip along backing. (Discard backing material after the decal has been removed)
  6. : Apply decal to clean surface; ceramic, glass, metal, plastic, soap, candles, mylar balloons, model trains, planes, cars, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Heads up on those clear "waterslide" transfers, while they do in fact work great, unless you've a light color surface - you'll not be able to see it at all & if the paint on the bike isn't white, it'll drastically change the appearance/colors in the transfer. http://motorbicycling.com/f26/gas-tank-decals-23613.html

Another option is ofc the "Inkjet Waterproof Self-Adhesive Vinyl" used for making bumper stickers etc, available here: Papilio Inkjet Media - I've used it (and the waterslide decal stock) for work a bunch & it's good stuff.

Last edited: