Dump Find!!!

GoldenMotor.com

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
Here's how I remove rust from small parts, IE nuts, bolts, small brackets, widgets, ect.
It works surprisingly well.
1. Remove any and all oil, grease, ect from the item.
2. Mix up a solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% lemon juice.
3. Submerge the item to be de-rusted in the solution for at least 24 hours. You can go longer if necessary, but I have yet to find the need to do so.
If you cannot retrieve the part from the solution for a few days due to life getting in the way, it will do no harm. The solution seems to be quite gentle to the base metal as well as chrome or zinc plating.
4. Wash the item in warm soapy (I use dish soap) water to remove the black film that will form on the surface. It basically wipes off easily. I have never needed to scrub vigorously.
5. Immediately dry the item and oil it to prevent flash rust from forming.
If you plan on painting the item, do NOT oil it! I have found that dunking the item in a treatment such as Metal Treat (sold in the automotive paint section as a surface preparer) works absolutely awesome. Follow the instructions on the metal treatment label for proper application. Metal treat will convert flash rust as well as the exposed cleaned outer surface of the steel or iron item into iron phosphate which prevents further flash rust and gives the surface a really good tooth for the paint or primer to adhere to.
nice tip!....and cheap .......never know what ya gonna pick up here.....

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
im thinking about painting the bike green, if i don't keep it the original color...an army theme would be nice... i had an idea about using an old/used fire hydrant as an gas tank and mounting it underneath... has this ever been done before on this forum???

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
Okay so i decided to go for the military theme. I am now looking for some empty military ammo cans/boxes to go on side of the rack in back... the gas tank(hydrant) is out, i probably will have to find an old motorcycle or moped gas tank... for right now thats about it... oh where is the best place to get a 4 stroke that wont break the bank???
usflg

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
Spray painting today (hopefully) it finally! is a little warmer and im not looking to do the greatest job just a good one so wish me luck!

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Ummm.... ugh... it looks great...
May i ask why you painted the frame with the wheels and parts still on it?
Im not trying to be a wise guy here... after all that work why cut corners now? A rare bike like that at least deserves a good paint job.
Just my opinion... no offense intended.
Good luck.
BBB

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Ummm.... ugh... it looks great...
May i ask why you painted the frame with the wheels and parts still on it?
Im not trying to be a wise guy here... after all that work why cut corners now? A rare bike like that at least deserves a good paint job.
Just my opinion... no offense intended.
Good luck.
BBB
Slap me for thinking much the same thing.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Slap me for thinking much the same thing.
Lol... great its not just me...
It made me want to volunteer to tear it down and prep it for him for free.
You wanna see a P.O.S. dumpster find turn into a rare beauty?
Ya gotta do the prep work!
Zip strip and coarse steel wool, then some finer and finer sanding, then a good washing and drying with compressed air inside and out and then a good primer coat, more sanding, more primer and then the color coat and clear after the new decals are on it.(I've even used that pin stripe on a roll with good results)
I noticed you did hang some parts up to be painted... you have the right idea.
A few old wire clothes hangers and a wire cutter are all that's needed to hang the frame properly for painting.
I some times use a old hair dryer set on a stand between coats to speed things up.
I still do all my paint jobs with rattle cans and people think its factory.
One more thing.... all that work and your not rebuilding the crank?
As i said... no offense intended, its a great bike it deserves better.
ASK US! we will be glad to help.
DUDE! its hurting my eyes!
BBB
usflg

Last edited:

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
sorry guys but im short on time, money, and experience... I would love to have totally striped it but i tried to take the pedal off and the pin would not come off! so.... like i said no money/time im in my senior year and im doing night college... (just got back) i would love the help!:confused: I really like how it came out though... i love the color...

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
When all is said and done, it's just a bike and it's your bike and you've painted it the color you wanted and done it on both a time and money budget. You are the one who needs to be pleased with the results. If others like it, too, then all the better. My first paint job pleased me to no end and I got compliments on it, but I've learned a lot since, just as your next paint job will be better than this one. When I started I wanted to load too much paint on too quickly and got drips and runs. And I didn't want to wait and sand things out. So that first bike is a testament to my ambition and also to what I did not know at the time. Another thing to consider is that no matter what, the bike is going to get bumped, scratched and show wear if you ride it. I built a bike this fall which looked pretty sharp and decided to bring it with me on a cross country journey of 1300 miles to where I spend my winter. It was on the back of my jeep as I drove through one snow storm after another with lots of road salt along the way. The salt ate through much of the clear coat and some of the base coat, ate chrome and instantly made my 51 Schwinn look at least that old. Unless it sits indoors unridden it is going to get messed up to one degree or another. Best not to get too anal about any of this, even if we want it to look as nice as we can.
I think your color is nice and I'm sure it is going to turn heads. Enjoy it and the next one will be even better.
SB

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
Thanks man i personally love the color and how it came out... there are no drips, the color is perfect and i really love the flat finish to it! it really looks like a army bike its so cool! and like you said it is only going to get chipped and scratched so it is really what it needs... this bike is going to be a workhorse compared to my chopper... im going to get a 4stroke for it... and i want to get some ammo cans/boxes (50 cal.)
dance1

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
What a big wind brake. But sure looks KOOOOL. I think it needs a motor. Could get a different rear wheel and mount a sproket and save the one to keep it origonal. Love the lamp idea.