Down and Dirty cable end

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm making a simple cable end that anyone of you can make and carry on your bike for emergency road side repairs but you will have to carry tools just for this thing more stuff to loose, Alot of times the cable that breaks will be useless even if you have the end but I thought I'd show you how to and get you all to thinking. If you don't carry an extra cable, just carry the end or for what ever reason. You can skip the threading and drilling for the pinch bolt and silver solder the end on if you want. I don't recommend using regular solder as it will not hold as well if at all. I used a normal 1/4" steel bolt, you can do it that way or use brass for the body. I used a small 6-32" Allen set screw as you can get more torque on it a machine screw might work but then again if you slip tightening it you might stab your hand with the screw driver. Anyway here we go.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Drill the hole take your time do not force the bit. Use a center punch to get the drill to start and lube the bit and don't go like a bat out of **** on the drill these little bits will get mad and hot and break. Got on your safety glasses?

I'm deburring the hole do both sides, it won't take much and will save a little on cussing when trying to stick the cable through the hole

Cut off the head now. I'm cheating by using the dremel cut off wheel as you can cut the bolt with a hacksaw. I'm lazy and like my new toy.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
center punch for the hole that will be tapped for the set screw. #36 drill bit and a 6-32 tap for threads. Get it as close to center as you can. This is where a lathe makes it a cake walk but you can do it with out one.

the allen head set screw, a thread pitch guage to find out what threads I have and a #36 drill

I'm showing about how far I drilled into the bolt go easy on this as well. Just as you beak through the other hole is when the bit will try to bind and break go slow and easy clean the chips often and use oil to lube the drill bit. Fun!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Tapping the hole again go slow and easy with a lot of oil to lube and keep the tap from binding. If it breaks here time to start over. All of this can be skipped by silver soldering the little booger on a cable.

Now is the time to cut off the excess bolt. man I love my dremel tool. I'm really liking the cordless part of this tool I was afraid it would not have the torque of a cord powered but it works great.( dremel should be sending me a check for the advertisement for them)

Chasing the threads just to make sure

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
There it is tighten up on the cable if I was really using this it would be as close to the cables end as possible. wasn't hard was it.

a quickie drawing in case the other forums wants to borrow a picture of how to.

More than one way to hang a bike. Got the hanger kit at harbor freight for $6.00 on sale normal price is $15.00. I hope it doesn't come loose cause I would be very very angry.

3 of my toys I took the big one out for a 50 mile ride yesterday The old lady and I had a nice ride temps in the 60s.
Thats it for the cable end let me know if it works for you.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
you are really a genius norman. very nice post. going to make a few cable ends just to have them on hand(^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Norman,
Im no mechanic as we all know but could you?

Put a short bolt with threads all the way to the head in a vise. Drill the wire hole through the threads just below the bolt head. Then run a nut up to the end to straighten the threads around the hole. Then just insert the wire, put a lock washer on then just run a nut up to lock the cable In place. You could also run a second nut on to lock the first one. It would be much uglier but would seem to be easier for guys like me, if it would work.

Also I wonder about a bicycle spoke. The end of it is already threaded, If i knew what size the threads were, I could take the end off drill a hole in it for the cable and just get a bolt to run in it instead of a spoke. Again I have no idea if that would work or not.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Well maybe. But can you fit that into the clutch lever or a brake lever?
You could use what you are describing down of the clutch arm.
Drilling through threads can be tough to get the drill started but it can be done. Takes a good lick with a center punch so you can start the drill there's ways around that as well. Use the dremel cutoff wheel or metal file to make a small flat spot to center punch so it easier to try to drill through.
Bythe way No drill bits or taps were harmed in the above posts. rotfl
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If I did it I promise you there would be broken bits littering the floor. Actually the last one I just wrapped the cable around a small bolt then ran a small flat washer a lock washer and to nuts till I could get to the auto store to buy the brass cable ends. I'm not that mechanical lol

I like the spoke end idea to, wonder what the thread size is for one of those. I have a wheel that is about to go junk city Im going to pull a spoke and take it to home depot next week to see.

Big Joe

Jan 6, 2008
Decatur Al
Norman
You continue to amaze me with knowledge and ability. I am unable to ride a bike now because of health reasons, but I read the forum every day. You are an asset.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Thanks Big Joe
I hope to be able to entertain you with more posts and some of the poor boy ways I have on repairing things.
Remember don't ever give up.. It ain't over until the fat lady sings. I'm workin on a way around that.
Norman

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
for someone who needs a little speed . look at this! the video. Of my home made airplane. VW engine built by me, I also built the airplane from a set of plans.
click on the link below.

Last edited:

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
you know they already sell those for like a $1 dont you.
they have some with a screw and some that you crimp.
yea but then you are not a true DIY kinda guy. anyone can spend money on one of those , but not everyone can make them :)

@ Norman, I have viewed many many of your picture tutorials. Only thing that would make them better would be video . I cant wait to make some of these , for some reason my imagination limited me on the idea I could make a nice looking cable tie. But this Tut showed me other wise

Oh and about your garage, I dont think I have ever seen so much junk oops I mean use full stuff hung in every square inch of a garage like you have done. My father used to do the same thing, but yours is amazing . It looks like artwork. You could title it "organized chaos" as that is exactly what it looks like . lol

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Well my son is an artist, that is where he gets his talent from?!
Your right though I am a pack rat I need a bigger shop can't fit all my toys in there like the airplane, racing go kart, and a couple of scooters.laff
WhenI was growing up if you couldn't make it you didn't need it. Living in Linch ,Wy. for 14 years and you will learn how to make stuff no stores for almost 100 miles.
Norman

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Man o man, did I ever learn something great today! I sure am glad I looked here today! That cable end is very important and valuable to learn.You have no idea just how important to me and how much you have helped me.Now I can get bike shifter cable,cut the end-slide through housing-make end at throttle-use my Dremol to grind down small end at carb so it fits into slot. Thanks again Norm.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yer "down and dirty" cable end is great - but I wanted to say I have that exact same 'Dremel Stylus' and I've beat the snot outa it for over three years now - it's only just starting to squeak a lil.

Maybe cause I've had smoke pouring out of it a few times now? Naw... couldn't be the abuse I've put it through lol

I too find I use it alla time instead of a hacksaw or w/e - it is an AWESOME toy, prolly couldn't have built my bike w/o it :D