DISK BRAKE SPROCKET install??!??

GoldenMotor.com

66cc

Jul 14, 2012
HOUSTON, Tx
2strokers,

I had a question about what I should do about installing a sprocket on my next build, it has disk brakes in the rear and idk if I should remove the rear brakes altogether or somehow fab a sprocket adapter?

I’m attaching the pics below so y’all have an idea.

Thanks!

66cc aka MOTOGUIDE

84E2EE2B-6753-4EAE-A2CE-E4BED5120480.jpeg 0495826B-5713-4A32-8FC3-144732239A1C.jpeg 13340F48-051D-46B3-80F5-C13D0D337A8C.jpeg

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Installing a disc brake / sprocket combo is very complicated!!!!

The adapter that Tom linked will work, but you'll probably have to switch to a much larger disc & then use a super small sprocket so the chain & caliper don't hit each other, (because there's not enough room for them to be right beside each other), & then you'll most likely have a gearing that's too tall for your liking. & then you're probably going to have new alignment issues with both the sprocket & caliper that will need modifications to fit properly.

The easiest (& least expensive) way to get your bike going is to use that disc adapter for the new sprocket & then change the brakes to 'V-brakes'. (you already have the posts welded to the frame for them). ;)

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
The adapter I linked to does require V Brakes.
I was supposed to make adapters to mount V brakes for Lynne but lost interest in the project..
I became a Sportsman Flyer customer

66cc

Jul 14, 2012
HOUSTON, Tx
Installing a disc brake / sprocket combo is very complicated!!!!

The adapter that Tom linked will work, but you'll probably have to switch to a much larger disc & then use a super small sprocket so the chain & caliper don't hit each other, (because there's not enough room for them to be right beside each other), & then you'll most likely have a gearing that's too tall for your liking. & then you're probably going to have new alignment issues with both the sprocket & caliper that will need modifications to fit properly.

The easiest (& least expensive) way to get your bike going is to use that disc adapter for the new sprocket & then change the brakes to 'V-brakes'. (you already have the posts welded to the frame for them). ;)
Thank you for the feedback.

Being a DIYer, i'd rather spend the time and fab something myself, its enjoyable and fulfilling as opposed to just buying a product.

front disk rear V brake works for me.

How do I cut a lock attached to the frame I lost the key for?

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
66cc,
Do you have access to a machine shop?
I made a Disc Hub Sprocket Adapter on another build, using my lathe and Bridgeport mill.
Using 7075 T6 is recommended.
As for the lock... McGiver it
Tom

Reactions: 66cc

bike4life

Dec 4, 2018
Middletown NJ USA
66cc,
I made a Disc Hub Sprocket Adapter on another build, using my lathe and Bridgeport mill.
Tom
I made a quick and dirty way to shift over the disc brake until i trashed the idea and built a custom jackshaft. The thing ya do is take some bolts and washers and offset the disc brake rotor to your needs. Then do the same with the actual rotor by cutting some scrap steel and fabricobbling something up. Keep the stock disc brakes and offset them if you have clearence issues. the cost is free but if you didnt have the scrap stock it would be 1.89 dollars.
https://motoredbikes.com/attachments/img_0396-jpg.82301/
https://motoredbikes.com/attachments/img_0395-jpg.82302/

Last edited:
Reactions: 66cc

66cc

Jul 14, 2012
HOUSTON, Tx
66cc,
Tom
Thanks Tom!
On the subject of Macgyver, I was thinking dremel tool and some HD cutting disks? IDK never done this before, oh and the lock is a kryptonite chain link lock, those chains look like some hardcore titanium type alloy, although ive seen some HD bolt cutters go thru it like butter...

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

66cc

Jul 14, 2012
HOUSTON, Tx
I made a quick and dirty way to shift over the disc brake until i trashed the idea and built a custom jackshaft. The thing ya do is take some bolts and washers and offset the disc brake rotor to your needs. Then do the same with the actual rotor by cutting some scrap steel and fabricobbling something up. Keep the stock disc brakes and offset them if you have clearence issues. the cost is free but if you didnt have the scrap stock it would be 1.89 dollars.
https://motoredbikes.com/attachments/img_0396-jpg.82301/
https://motoredbikes.com/attachments/img_0395-jpg.82302/
bike4life,

This is exactly what I had in my mind, but with the limited clearance, I was thinking ofsetting the disk would require some frame bending or something.

Did you have to buy a bigger disk, I see that youve used a fab metal for the caliper.

Dude, can you share you custom jackshaft!?

I would love a jackshaft on this build, it has 9 gears!!! I was thinking this thing would pop wheelies easy if I had that.

Can never get my head around paying more for a shift kit than for an engine kit.

bike4life

Dec 4, 2018
Middletown NJ USA
bike4life,

This is exactly what I had in my mind, but with the limited clearance, I was thinking ofsetting the disk would require some frame bending or something.

Did you have to buy a bigger disk, I see that youve used a fab metal for the caliper.

Dude, can you share you custom jackshaft!?

I would love a jackshaft on this build, it has 9 gears!!! I was thinking this thing would pop wheelies easy if I had that.

Can never get my head around paying more for a shift kit than for an engine kit.
I will tell you. B.c I am 16 and dont have the cash, I had to built my own jackshaft kit from scratch. Bought some bearings, a freewheel, some 5/8 rod stock and cut off the chainrings from an old bike from the junkyard.
With offsetting the disc on mine, I lucked out DID NOT NEED TO BEND THE FRAME. And my bike had 3.5" tires, so i imagine it would work on any bike really, as i had to offset more than u have to, like nearly 3/4". I actually put in some washers between the frame gausset plates where the axle thing goes to get some extra clearence which was about 1/16" from the frame.
Here:https://motoredbikes.com/threads/almost-there.54091/ AND I will post another video when i get home from school. Not sure what u were saying about the bike lock but any angle grinder will cut through ANY lock, its like a nuke, the ultimate burglary weapon and nothing can stop it. **** an angle grinder can cut through a railroad track given the time (10-20min) I am not a fan of using a dremel to cut metal unless its small engraving work; angle grinder is a must plus its cheaper. Its the most used tool in my shop and the cutting discs are like 90cents and last a long time vs dremel which is much more and last like nothing.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I bolted a drive sprocket to my disk brake wheel. Power delivery was so much smoother than my stock sprocket that I didn't mind having only a rim brake on the rear.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon