Dems da Brakes?

GoldenMotor.com

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Front brake on my Spooky Cruiser style bike is a little on the anaemic side for my tastes: Hard to pull and not very effective.

I've tried searching the web and the forum(s) for a good quality side-pull front brake. Something with real stopping authority. All I can find is Tectro has a nice looking brake, but I can't find anywhere to order it. They don't sell to individuals.

I'll just add a bit more info -- my bike has a springer front fork, so it can't accommodate V-brakes, and I have no idea about disc brakes. The brake on it mounts to the bolt that holds the front fender.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Brenton

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Hi
In wet climate (and when engine powered) the v brakes are dangerous to say the least (own experience)
I upgraded to a generic disc brake like this
Bicycle Brake Assembly
You will go too fast (being a bicycle) and you will need increased stopping power
Needs front disc hub too
Peace

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
See "The Next Venice Chopper" in the pictures and video gallery where a guy added a front disc brake to an old schwinn with a springer fork. Maybe you could try that. The Arai front drum brake on my cruiser is not very powerful, but its dependable in bad weather.

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
V-brakes aren't the least bit dangerous as you have said, on the contrary V-brakes are the best thing going unless you can use disc brakes.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now this is not a suggestion it is a question... Is there a significant difference in the pads on the brakes. I would think once they engage with max force if there is any difference it would be in the pads.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Maybe a decent set of pads is worth a try. They came with v-brake style pads, and that's not what's really called for.

But as I noted, it's darn hard to pull on the brake, and I think a super high quality upgrade is something I'd like. I'm sure, by comparison, I could do a so-called "brakie" on my 11 year old Marin mtn bike with 2 fingers on the front brake. THAT thing has some stopping power.

Nowhere on the springer to mount v-brakes.

I think I must look into the suggestion of a disc brake. I didn't know if that could be mounted.

Brenton

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Hi
In wet climate (and when engine powered) the v brakes are dangerous to say the least (own experience)
My sad story
Tried to brake with light rain
Didn't stop and I ended in a garden, only my pride got injured
Later I discovered my rear wheel covered with a thin oil film
I am 42 and have 2 kids, I want to see them grow
Next thing I did was to install a safer braking system, had to change the front fork too
Peace

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
See "The Next Venice Chopper"....
I can't tell how it's mounted to the fork, but it can obviously be done. Perhaps I should try a disc brake then.

Good ideas, guys.

Into a garden fence on account of oily v-brakes, huh? Glad to hear you weren't impaled on a pointy fence picket. Geez!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
well I use a coaster brake on the rear and a side pull on the front. I don't go very fast so I have always been able to stop way before I needed to. I can also lock down both brakes if I need to.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
any time the roads are wet you should allow more time for stopping. This usually means that you apply the brakes sooner and as you are approaching the stop, simply apply the brakes so that they can dry the surface they are making contact with.
There is nothing wrong with V-brakes, the problem seem to be from people not understanding that ANY brakes do not work as well if they are wet.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
It's an easy thing, with these motors, to get up to a speed that is very un-bicycle like.

It's a funny thing, cause it just feels like I'm riding a bike, but I look down at the speedo, and it tells me I'm going 25! And now for stopping!!!

Brenton

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Motorcycles come with drum or disc brakes for a reason
Bicycles come with coaster and vbrakes
The speed we reach was not taken into account when designing our bicycles
Thing is, brakes should work even in emergency situations
I know wet vbrakes don't brake, but disc brakes do
Peace

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
long before I put a motor on my bike, I was riding in excess of 20 miles an hour most of the time. Once I was riding my mtn. bike down the road not even thinking about how fast I may have been going, when I got to the stop light at the end of the street this work van pulled up next to me and the driver asked me if I had any idea how fast I was going. I told him, "not really, but I was in top gear and pedaling almost as fast as I could, so about 30 or so" he told me that when he caught up to me he started to pull out and pass me but looked at his speedometer and saw he was doing the speed limit (35mph).
My point is what ever brakes you get DON'T get the cheapest. If you get GOOD cantilever brakes, get the best you can afford. Same goes for disc brakes, if you get the cheap ones, they wont stop you as good as a good set of cantilevers.
My second point is this, no matter how good your brakes are if you don't know how to use them properly they wont stop you very well either.

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Hi
Makes sense
I was thinking about using motorcycle type brakes if we are riding at motorcycle speeds
Peace
PD I used my road bike to go to the medical school in 4th and 5th year, riding too fast most of the time braking with caliper brakes-maybe i had no problems bc they were shimano units..

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
I completely agree. I see some brake sets for 10 or 17 bucks, and it makes my stomach turn a bit. Of all the things on the bike that could be ok to compromise quality here and there, the brakes, for me, need to be really good.

That Sturmey thing looks nice. I don't understand it. 2.4 volts? Anyway, I've got some good ideas to chase down. Drum, disc, or maybe a good quality side-pull system.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
My second point is this, no matter how good your brakes are if you don't know how to use them properly they wont stop you very well either.
Good point NunyaBidness. Also if I might add: If you do go with a disc brake, get an 8 inch rotor. When I first started my project, I had a 6 inch rotor on mine and it didn't stop at all.
Here's a good place to buy stuff:

Brakes/Disc at Price Point

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
That Sturmy hub is a generater as well, cool! Pads vary greatly and your local shop can help. Size, or better surface area is a factor. V brakes and cantilever brakes give you more leverage than a side pull. There used to be some good side pulls for bmx bikes, I assume there still is. I'm curious about the coaster conversion for a front brake too.:ride: