Dax 50 4-stroke vs 70cc 2-stroke

GoldenMotor.com

DarkRide

Jun 23, 2008
Denver CO
Dax says his 50cc Titan is as powerful as his 70cc center mount and more reliable. Does everyone think that sounds right?

Also, I see that Golden Eagle recommends 2-strokes for communters since they're a bit quicker. Again, do you folks agree?

I really appreciate you folks sharing your wisdom.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

I read somewhere (I wish I could remember where BUT it was either on his site or one of the motorized bicycle forums) that Duane himself ("Mr Dax") was surprised to learn (by his own testing) that the ol 2 stroker is faster than the new titan.....As far as reliability, being that the Titan is relatively new , only time will tell how it does VS the 70....

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It is possible that it's more reliable for several reasons. I know the admin here has run both engines....Cruiser? Comments?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Dax says his 50cc Titan is as powerful as his 70cc center mount and more reliable. Does everyone think that sounds right?
Maybe out of the box, maybe. And for sure the 4-stroke (if well made) takes less maintenance. That is not the same thing as reliability. Once the 2 stroke is set-up it can be very reliable. I'm not saying it's easy and happens instantly - it takes effort.

However, when tuned properly a 70 cc 2-stroke will smoke a 50cc 4-stroke.

Don't worry, next year or so I will be doing a 4 stroke frame mount so I'll have both. I was hoping to find larger than a 50 cc though!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i like the titan much better. so far no maintnence. it is faster then my 70cc was prior to the tuned pipe. after the tuned pipe the 70cc was a little faster but not alot. i love not messing with the clutch and tightning bolts. everytime i rode the 2 stroke i had to fix something. for me the titan is the perfect bicycle motor

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
I have a 50cc 4 stroke, and I wouldn't go back to the 2 banger again.
Once you own/ride a 4cycle, you get spoiled by the lack of vibration and parts loosening up.
If you want speed, go with the 2 cycle. If you want dependability, low maintenance, and torque, go with the 4 cycle.

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
i wish dax had the titan on a frame/center mount, i whould buy that any day of the week. a for shur must have

duane, is that somthing to see in times to come?

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
How much weight difference is there between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke??? I know that for r/c aircraft engines it's significant.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
The 4 stroke Engine only weighs 12lbs. That is with out the gear box PTO. When you add that, it is only a few pounds more than the 2 stroke. The Total kit 2 stroke is around 20-25 pounds depending on the size motor. The 4 Stroke Titan is a little over 30 pounds complete. So the 4 stroke kit does weigh more. But not a whole lot. Since it is being placed on a bicycle, it is not that big a deal. We are developing a Titan In Frame version called the Titan IF. I hope to have that ready by Spring 2010. As for now, the Focus has been the Titan XC Rear mount. With the Titan XC R3 now being released, most will find the quality, ease of maintenance as well as reliability is well worth the extra few pounds. When it comes to rear mounts, there is nothing better than the Titan XC. And it is half the cost of any other 50cc Full size setup. Actual Displacement is around 48cc. The Titan 4 Stroke is CARB Phase II compliant. The 2 stroke does put out more emissions, but still, the 2 strokes are clean burners. They will easily pass any emissions test with 20:1 mix. People do not realize that these new 2 stroke oils are biodegradable. That is why a higher mix is needed these days and burns cleaner. Just because the 4 strokes are cleaner, does not mean the 2 strokes are polluters. There are emissions with everything you do. Do not let the 2 strokes get a bad rap. 2 Strokes are awesome !!! 4 strokes are awesome too !!! Anything that gets 110-160 mpg is as low a foot print as it comes. Enjoy the ride...

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
The 4 stroke Engine only weighs 12lbs. That is with out the gear box PTO. When you add that, it is only a few pounds more than the 2 stroke. The Total kit 2 stroke is around 20-25 pounds depending on the size motor. The 4 Stroke Titan is a little over 30 pounds complete. So the 4 stroke kit does weigh more. But not a whole lot. Since it is being placed on a bicycle, it is not that big a deal. We are developing a Titan In Frame version called the Titan IF. I hope to have that ready by Spring 2010. As for now, the Focus has been the Titan XC Rear mount. With the Titan XC R3 now being released, most will find the quality, ease of maintenance as well as reliability is well worth the extra few pounds. When it comes to rear mounts, there is nothing better than the Titan XC. And it is half the cost of any other 50cc Full size setup. Actual Displacement is around 48cc. The Titan 4 Stroke is CARB Phase II compliant. The 2 stroke does put out more emissions, but still, the 2 strokes are clean burners. They will easily pass any emissions test with 20:1 mix. People do not realize that these new 2 stroke oils are biodegradable. That is why a higher mix is needed these days and burns cleaner. Just because the 4 strokes are cleaner, does not mean the 2 strokes are polluters. There are emissions with everything you do. Do not let the 2 strokes get a bad rap. 2 Strokes are awesome !!! 4 strokes are awesome too !!! Anything that gets 110-160 mpg is as low a foot print as it comes. Enjoy the ride...

man your cool^5

and i can FN wait for the Titan IF.

plz let me know(or ill PM you) when you get the specs for the IF, because i would like to built a bike around the titan.

the only reason i like 4-strokes over 2's is because you can pull right up to a gas pump and pump right up and go along.

but 2 storke are easyer to under staind.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The 4 stroke any thing will make one not want to go back to a 2 stroker. On a heavy frame it just feels like a motor bike, not a bicycle with a motor. I Love my china girls, but a long ride on any of them makes you need a break. Just my thoughts.

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
all 4 stroke center mounts ive seen are maid to fit a GXH50 engine.

they only down side i can see is that you have to stop and start by pulling the cord to start, not just pedaling it on.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
Dax,
You may wish to correct your typo. You said 2010 for the frame mounted 4 stroke and I, and many others, wish you actually meant to say 2009 Spring.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Sorry no.. that is 2010. A little over a year from now. Spring 2009 would be nice. Depends on how quickly the Testing and then manufacturing and then re testing goes. As of now. It looks like spring 2010 .

As for Titan XC Cross Country and starting from on the bike. That is one of the Attributes of Titan that no other rear kit "none that I know of" offers is that you can start from on the bike. Since the titan engine is 180 degrees different than all the others, it puts the rope start right at your left hand . Just reach down to the left rear and keep your right hand on the throttle and one easy pull and the motor lights. Twist and away you go.. On other rear mounted kits, you have to dis mount and walk around to the rear of your bike to pull start. You may be able to re clock the pull starter so you could reach it with your right hand. But that is not the best since your right hand is your Control throttle hand. Again, from a riders perspective, the Titan Rear mount is superior. It is a marvel of simplicity and reliability. Quiet, smooth and fast.. Easy to start and live with. Clean and green. These principles will be the main ingredient for the Titan IF or "in frame" version. But again.. It will not be ready until 2010. Enjoy the ride......

o yes.. Another Attribute of Titan XC is that you can mount rear wheel or front wheel. It matters not. For Trikes, a front wheel mount is a quick and easy way to go. The Engine is so quiet that even in front, it is a great ride. Heck.. Put a Titan on your rear and your front. The First Bike with Dual Titans.. Wow !!! Talk about Traction !!! And.. Speed? Might be a record in there somewhere.. Dual Throttle cables? Humm.. Interesting.. Enjoy the ride....

Last edited: