Cranbrook Springer Forked BTR YD100 Replica Build (without fabrication)

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Danny, I had the same issue anchoring the Sturmey Archer drum brake arm to the faux springer fork leg on my BLUE BAMBOO electric bike. My answer was to use an appropriately sized clamp - the kind normally used to mount headlights. I needed to saw off part of the brake arm, then drill it to accept a high tensile bolt. A turned/drilled alloy spacer twixt arm and clamp completed the install.

RSCN3653.JPG
DSCN3619.JPG

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Danny, I had the same issue anchoring the Sturmey Archer drum brake arm to the faux springer fork leg on my BLUE BAMBOO electric bike. My answer was to use an appropriately sized clamp - the kind normally used to mount headlights. I needed to saw off part of the brake arm, then drill it to accept a high tensile bolt. A turned/drilled alloy spacer twixt arm and clamp completed the install.

View attachment 107251 View attachment 107252
Wow, cool Pete. Thanks

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Not exactly period correct, but I like it. Sits me down lower and looks sick !!! No springs of any kind on this bike. I need a board trackr.ly.

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
There is a couple that ride a pair of those Nirve Switchblade bikes around here. Their bikes have Ape Hanger handle bars.
Venice Motor Bikes / Norm is the Chopper dude. \\pete gave you a good example of a fork adaptation to anchor the SA brake arm. I casually looked at the kit taped to the SA wheel, something different in it, might be a cable guide.
Or a much larger brake arm clamp. Guess I can look again with my reading glasses on.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
There is a couple that ride a pair of those Nirve Switchblade bikes around here. Their bikes have Ape Hanger handle bars.
Venice Motor Bikes / Norm is the Chopper dude. \\pete gave you a good example of a fork adaptation to anchor the SA brake arm. I casually looked at the kit taped to the SA wheel, something different in it, might be a cable guide.
Or a much larger brake arm clamp. Guess I can look again with my reading glasses on.
Tom
It’s a fulcrum clip. I guess it’s to hold the cable against the forks, I dunno either

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Just fired off an email to Pat for some black Indian BTR handlebars.

also, apparently I suffered my first scam in several decades of doing business on eBay. The $30 I spent on an unbranded 2 stroke motor is now in dispute. Trying to recover that money, but in the meantime, would I be better off to buy something upgraded like this? Balanced crank, upgraded bearings and clutch.

Even comes with a warranty . Your thoughts ?

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Just fired off an email to Pat for some black Indian BTR handlebars.

also, apparently I suffered my first scam in several decades of doing business on eBay. The $30 I spent on an unbranded 2 stroke motor is now in dispute. Trying to recover that money, but in the meantime, would I be better off to buy something upgraded like this? Balanced crank, upgraded bearings and clutch.

Even comes with a warranty . Your thoughts ?
I’ll ask over in the 2 stroke forum

Good news, I was able to bend the very top of the sturmey archer brake arm from its inward bend to and outer bend. Might need to buy the larger mount, but it’s connected.

filing was done until I looked closer, touching up in a few more spots with more brazing lol

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Ok so out of acetylene again, but I believe I finished all my touch ups, back to filing. I’ve also decided to remove less brass and rely on some bondo for a final touch up before sanding.

Reactions: fasteddy

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
Get a handful of the sandpaper style finger nail files, about 3/4" wide and 6" long. They work good for cleaning up brazing work. 2 sides, one coarse, the other fine, like sanding wood, coarse then fine. Auto paint stores have the best wet dry sandpaper, you will want some finer grades of sandpaper.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
real gas tank welding taking place. No more practice.

should I drill my bung hole for the filler cap just slightly smaller than the bung? I’ve already rounded it off to meet the curvature of the tank.

I’m probably Gonna get someone to TIG weld it and a possibly a petcock or .should I tap the petcock hole?

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Drill the hole for the petcock, then braze a correct threaded nut in place. This way the petcock can be removed if if it needs to be replaced. Also makes it easy to clean out the tank when the bike sits for awhile and the gas turns to varnish.
Cool, thanks dog

Maybe I’ll just braze the Filler bung also.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Danny,
Good work getting your SA brake arm correctly attached.
Tank building... I build mine in aluminium and use Alu-build brazing rods to attach the alloy filler neck. a 40mm hole saw cuts a perfect-fit hole to make the filler neck a tight, snug fit with no potential for movement whilst it's being brazed in place.
For a steel tank, I'd use 'Easy-Flo' silver solder to attach a filler neck to a steel tank. When the 650 degree melting point of silver solder is reached - workpiece should glow dull red - it very tidily flows along the pre-fluxed joint like water. Just keep pointing the flame to where you want the solder to flow. Biggest benefit of silver solder? Almost zero clean-up of the joint is necessary other than to wash off flux residue.
I imagine you've already had your fill of hand-filing brazed joints on your bike frame. How are the callouses? Haha. :)

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Danny,
Good work getting your SA brake arm correctly attached.
Tank building... I build mine in aluminium and use Alu-build brazing rods to attach the alloy filler neck. a 40mm hole saw cuts a perfect-fit hole to make the filler neck a tight, snug fit with no potential for movement whilst it's being brazed in place.
For a steel tank, I'd use 'Easy-Flo' silver solder to attach a filler neck to a steel tank. When the 650 degree melting point of silver solder is reached - workpiece should glow dull red - it very tidily flows along the pre-fluxed joint like water. Just keep pointing the flame to where you want the solder to flow. Biggest benefit of silver solder? Almost zero clean-up of the joint is necessary other than to wash off flux residue.
I imagine you've already had your fill of hand-filing brazed joints on your bike frame. How are the callouses? Haha. :)
Lol, for sure. I filed and filed and filed. Had everything looking decent except for a Few spots that I felt were too low. I’ve built those up and am no longer going for perfectly filed brass lol. I think I have a sufficient thickness now. I have done a little more filing, but I’m about done. As I have mentioned, bondo will it make it look pretty. It’s on pretty thick.

and ok on the silver soldering and thanks for the tips. I’m off to research that a little more. Definitely tired of filing lol. All the other little things I have going on with both builds gives me a nice break from the filing though.

thanks on the bung info as well. You and dogcatcher have convinced me to take care of all of the gas tank.

welding & grinding on one end of the gas tank continues

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Pete is spot on about Silver Solder. Beautiful flow at low temps.
Danny if you sure of your brazed joints. Mind you, it's your cranium at stake. Bondo and glaze compound be your friend.
I was visiting Lynne of MBrebel, and one of her bikes gas tanks had this amazing contour. It was a bike she had purchased for show. Metal flake paint and all. 1.5L tank had been sculpted with Bondo. It was Legit as they say.
Tom