Cranbrook Springer Forked BTR YD100 Replica Build (without fabrication)

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Well I laid down another coat of brass and have started filing. This is a tedious process. I’ll post pics when I get it more cleaned up. Probably a day or two, work is really busy.
Tedious is what it is, dull files exacerbate the work. Many are called, few can perform hand work.
Day one of my apprenticeship, I was given a roughly square sawn block of steel. A master square, and a file.
The test was to see your hand work and patience to complete a defined task.
A Bridgeport is now my preferred tool.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
While searching eBay for a seat for my WLA build, I came across this beauty and could not resist for my Indian BTR with copper accents.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Got any Gorilla tape to avoid chewing on the frame? Remember, the only thing between your neck and the road is that fillet.

The Indian Brooks has the nose screw, which adjusts the saddle tension. Saddle break-in is more about racing saddles that for weight reduction have no such adjustment. But that Indian saddle, has no suspension. I got one hanging on a nail.
Painful so called prostate massager is real on a un- adjustable saddle frame.

I was hugely lucky to acquire what for now was a new release, prototype B190 Brooks saddle last year. It is double sprung.
On rough roads, is a comfortable ride. Full sprung saddles.
Currently their best offering for a sit on saddle. B135 (brooksengland.com) Had not the B190 briefly appeared, the B135 would be my saddle today. The B190 has a slightly broader seat pan. Pricey? No Chit. The only fault is the seat clamp.
cheap and under engineered. Stamped, formed steel mounted do not hold up to our stresses.
I made my own seat post saddle clamp components. Solid.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Got any Gorilla tape to avoid chewing on the frame? Remember, the only thing between your neck and the road is that fillet.

The Indian Brooks has the nose screw, which adjusts the saddle tension. Saddle break-in is more about racing saddles that for weight reduction have no such adjustment. But that Indian saddle, has no suspension. I got one hanging on a nail.
Painful so called prostate massager is real on a un- adjustable saddle frame.

I was hugely lucky to acquire what for now was a new release, prototype B190 Brooks saddle last year. It is double sprung.
On rough roads, is a comfortable ride. Full sprung saddles.
Currently their best offering for a sit on saddle. B135 (brooksengland.com) Had not the B190 briefly appeared, the B135 would be my saddle today. The B190 has a slightly broader seat pan. Pricey? No Chit. The only fault is the seat clamp.
cheap and under engineered. Stamped, formed steel mounted do not hold up to our stresses.
I made my own seat post saddle clamp components. Solid.
Tom
I do have some gorilla tape, thanks

and I hear you on the saddle. The looks totally got me. I’ve still got options for riding and swapping out something springy, but if I was ever gonna put it in a bike show I would want the uncomfortable sexy copper framed seat.shft.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Springy is the ride of my 1950 Harley project (not for sale until I die) . Road curves on a rigid frame, sprung saddle bike is disconcerting, until you get used to the rear wheel dancing about. While the front wheel stays the course.
And Harley's don't speed shift. In 1970 my buddy's were mostly on Honda 750's and 450's.
Old buddy Bob Groves Jr , long deceased, rode a Norton P11 Commando Norton Commando - Wikipedia
Bob was an excellent horseman. Motorcycles, not so good, well he was he was good. I sold him my Harley Servicar chopper in 1983. He had this Pit Bull that rode in the tail box i built for that Servicar. 10" over hydraulic forks.
No rake. "83" no digital photos. Keep pecking away, Danny. I am doing to complete my Hotrod Flyer.
Peace.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Springy is the ride of my 1950 Harley project (not for sale until I die) . Road curves on a rigid frame, sprung saddle bike is disconcerting, until you get used to the rear wheel dancing about. While the front wheel stays the course.
And Harley's don't speed shift. In 1970 my buddy's were mostly on Honda 750's and 450's.
Old buddy Bob Groves Jr , long deceased, rode a Norton P11 Commando Norton Commando - Wikipedia
Bob was an excellent horseman. Motorcycles, not so good, well he was he was good. I sold him my Harley Servicar chopper in 1983. He had this Pit Bull that rode in the tail box i built for that Servicar. 10" over hydraulic forks.
No rake. "83" no digital photos. Keep pecking away, Danny. I am doing to complete my Hotrod Flyer.
Peace.
Nice to hear about another M/C rider who enjoys riding Motorbikes.
Riding a good Motorbike is the only way to have the experience of what it must of been and felt like when M/C was first invented back in 1901, 1903.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Peace.
Servicar and no digital photos

I owned several motorcycles, but no hard tails, yet!!!!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
My home made adaption of a banana seat even with plenty of foam that looks like ****, is OK, but I stand on the foot pegs a lot trail riding. The yellow tape cover I used attracts butterflies and bees, but then they soon look elsewhere. My head took a bit of what might be called whip lash. I'm OK but when I did not see and slow very much in time I went over a mound of dirt and then a little gully right after. I'm thinking exoskeleton suit with a damper for neck motion? I also took a spill but at like 3 mph when baseball size rock field striping areas of a trail section got me. Laid the bike down on its side. I quickly made sure my left leg was not under it as it fell on its side Myself and the bike had no damage due to the stainless steel covers I made that I tested initially by standing on then with my weight. Helmet Cam has it on video.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
So I was messing with my front brake arm clip and it’s way too small. I see the only thing that’s available from Sturmey archer is the 7/8 and 11/16”, I am assuming I have the 11/16 but it’s kinda hard to tell. If I do then I can tell you now the 7/8 is probably too small also.

what so people do to overcome this?

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
You son, have hit the proverbial wall. A loop to retain the brake drum arm is necessary. You have demonstrated adequate welding skills to get er done.
Use the provided strap welded to the fork leg. Or $hit can the stock fork for either a Monarch copy or a Felt springer. Both are able to use SA drum brakes without mods. Disregard this message if it no longer applies.

Reactions: fasteddy

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
You son, have hit the proverbial wall. A loop to retain the brake drum arm is necessary. You have demonstrated adequate welding skills to get er done.
Use the provided strap welded to the fork leg. Or $hit can the stock fork for either a Monarch copy or a Felt springer. Both are able to use SA drum brakes without mods. Disregard this message if it no longer applies.
This isn’t even a stock Fork, these are my nice faux Indian Chinese made forks. But if welding is the correct answer, I guess I’ll have to git her done.

thanks Tom