Cranbrook Springer Forked BTR YD100 Replica Build (without fabrication)

GoldenMotor.com

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
The Ice Man Cometh. I remember the horse drawn ice, bakery, dairy and coal delivery not to mention the rag and bone man and his horse and wagon going around the area once a week.

Big city living had a lot of benefits but not to a kid who would rather have been in the country.

Steve.
I grew up in the city, didn’t get to the country till I was in my late 40s. My family has a little over 20 acres, I would never go back to the city

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Here is a powder coating cabinet made in Alberta, the province next to me. This is for a commercial company but I'd use the build method and build it to my size. Find a stove with a working oven and rob the oven parts and controls.

Tall enough to hang a bike frame and wide enough to put car wheel rims in because when the word gets out you have it you will be beyond popular. Could be a sideline business.
You will need a good sandblasting set up to clean the metal before you powder coat it. I'd make my own sand blasting cabinet to the size I want.

I'd use plywood with a glued on metal liner. Well ventilated with a good feed system and lighting. Lots of DIY on YouTube.

Steve.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Here is a powder coating cabinet made in Alberta, the province next to me. This is for a commercial company but I'd use the build method and build it to my size. Find a stove with a working oven and rob the oven parts and controls.

Tall enough to hang a bike frame and wide enough to put car wheel rims in because when the word gets out you have it you will be beyond popular. Could be a sideline business.
You will need a good sandblasting set up to clean the metal before you powder coat it. I'd make my own sand blasting cabinet to the size I want.

I'd use plywood with a glued on metal liner. Well ventilated with a good feed system and lighting. Lots of DIY on YouTube.

Steve.

Very interesting. Got some more YouTube vids to watch. And it could be a nice side business for sure sure if I built one big enough. Lol

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I can 'cause that's what we had before the electric service was installed. Mentally I still think of the fridge as an ice box and Mom never called a refrigerator anything else. Doing so helps me smile. My older brother worked at the local ce plant during the late fifties so it was still a thing here for both cracked and block ice.

Rick C.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I should be working this morning, but it’s raining again :rolleyes:

well, I am at least feeling well enough to work on the bikes again. Me and the drill press got reacquainted this morning and I put two holes in the gas tank.

for the first time, I believe I might be able to pull this gas tank off in one attempt. We’re not there yet though.

Have to try get to the welding shop before noon to pick up some silver soldering rods.

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Well I was practicing my silver soldering and it was going very well when my acetylene quit flowing.

It did this once before and I took it to the welding shop. It was something in the regulator system. He showed me but I didn’t completely understand. I’ve been in there enough times he didn’t even charge me for it. Well now I believe it’s happened again.

the welding shop is closed until Monday, so I believe I’ll start taking things apart and see if I can fix it.

it actually did this about a week ago and today when I fired it up it was working fine. So I didn’t take it with me to the welding shop when I went. It only worked for about 10 minutes and it went down again.

anyway, if I can get this thing fixed I believe I’ll get my nut and filler bung soldered on today.

it was a little red piece down in there, does anyone know what I’m talking about, LOL

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
OK I dug into the regulator but couldn’t find anything obviously wrong. Could not find a rebuild kit either. probably just gonna order another regulator. Mine is very old.

I also got the gas tank welded up today. Once the acetylene torch is up and running again I’ll do a little silver soldering or brazing to fix my leaks.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
There is a boat builder. Built a Bartender Boats 26 footer/timber frame carpenter named Lee Baxter.
He bought his dads farm in Farmington, Oregon. His hay baler knotter wasn't knotting right.
I offered my advise repairing JD bale knotters. His baler is a NH. His dad's baler was a NH. His dad used a hammer. size was not specified. But Lee seen it work for his dad, and did the same and the knotter is back to even bales.
Likely a drop of oil here and there before the knotter stuck would have saved Lee resorting like his father to a hammer.

If there is a corollary, it is that occasionally a judicious rap/ tap on a cheap sticky regulator can mitigate unnecessary work.
Now for something completely different.
We Harley dudes are occasionally accused of penis compensation.
Enter the BIG ONE. Allen Millyard's 5000cc Flying Millyard. The build section is the best and first start up.
The Flying Millyard 5 Litre V Twin - Part One - YouTube

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
There is a boat builder. Built a Bartender Boats 26 footer/timber frame carpenter named Lee Baxter.
He bought his dads farm in Farmington, Oregon. His hay baler knotter wasn't knotting right.
I offered my advise repairing JD bale knotters. His baler is a NH. His dad's baler was a NH. His dad used a hammer. size was not specified. But Lee seen it work for his dad, and did the same and the knotter is back to even bales.
Likely a drop of oil here and there before the knotter stuck would have saved Lee resorting like his father to a hammer.

If there is a corollary, it is that occasionally a judicious rap/ tap on a cheap sticky regulator can mitigate unnecessary work.
Now for something completely different.
We Harley dudes are occasionally accused of penis compensation.
Enter the BIG ONE. Allen Millyard's 5000cc Flying Millyard. The build section is the best and first start up.
The Flying Millyard 5 Litre V Twin - Part One - YouTube
I have definitely tapped on it. I also thought that might free something up.

anyway off to watch the video