CR Machine's test bike clocked at 54 MPH!

GoldenMotor.com

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Yeah, it was hard for me believe it too, but I was the only thing the traffic radar had in it's sights; there wasn't anybody behind me.
My test bike is running a 32 tooth sprocket and I think there's enough power to run a 30 tooth and acheive the same engine speed. I'm running a richer mixture now, so hopefully I won't loose a wrist pin bearing like my last engine. I'm also running a 1:20 oil/fuel ratio. The oil is a Klotz product with 20% castor bean oil added. I'm running all the latest CR Machine parts and modifications. The engine is a non GT-5 engine with the longer stroke (47X40 bore X stroke). This engine is nicer because it has a little more torque, but I was able to go just as fast with the shorter stroke GT-5 motor (47 X 38 bore X stroke). My test bike can tackle pretty steep hills too without a reed set up or a shift kit. Even with that said, I still want to try one of Arrow Motor bicycles reed kits to see how it compares to the CR Machine intake.
I think one of the funniest things about this crazy horse power is that I'm running the little NT "speed" carb! I had to do a few minor modifications to it like removing some material underneath the round slide so the engine would hold an idle. Also, I bypassed the little fuel petcock of the side of the carb. as it presented a restriction to fuel flow.

-Fred
.duh.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just a word of caution for you, sir. All unproven claims of speed, and they're all unproven, can and historically will generate some friction on the forum. We try to discourage speed claims for that reason, expecially those in excess of what is normal for a Chinese 2 stroke engine. I applaud your efforts and wish you well with your project nevertheless be prepared for the unbelievers here to challenge you to provide proof of your claims. Please no photos of speedometers, GPS displays or roadside traffic signs any of which are easily faked.
I recently passed a road side speed sign in my car that told me I was doing 10mph over what my speedometer indicated. If I'd been on one of my motorbikes I'd have been very pleased indeed.

Tom

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Not certain it is the most accurate regarding speed although it uses the same accelerometers and GPS data as any other app but it's free: Waze. I use it for iPhone but I think it's also available for Android. Doesn't record data though. Any other suggestions? Anyone know of a solid iPhone handlebar mount to recommend?

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hmm, Yes indeed 2 Door, I think you are right.
Whenever I've been clocked by that radar unit driving in my car, it's always seemed to coincide with the speedo in the car, but it's possible they tweak it, I guess.
But you are right 2 Door; making such claims really seems to trigger some kind of ... I don't know, well, I'll try to keep it to myself.
Thanks
-Fred
laff

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hi Fred, moving away from the speed thing, I think the bearings r the weakest link in these motors, with the small end being the worst as the piston's bosses r 2 far apart allowing radical drift. There r a lot of 10x14x15 bearings available 2 replace with, but NTN also have a 10x14x16.5 that will fit in most 66cc motors (the 48cc dont need as their bosses r properly spaced). The NTN bearing is a decent quality 2. Cheers

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
Sorry I can't help Fred in New Hampshire, but since I have a radar gun maybe I should bring it to the next SoCal event at Adams Motorsports Park on Sept 15th. Is there a long straight at that track for some top speed runs?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If ever I say i'm hitting 51.4 mph and turning 7,500rpm and my gearing at that time is 10.5:1 on my 212cc Slant race bike......you can believe me ;) And I don't really care if ya do or not, but I can prove it.......just ride my bike!

.wee.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
CR send me one of those engines and I will set everyone straight on how good they are... I will install it on one of my custom race bike frames, race it and send it back... What better proof then on the track. I have an aluminum frame just waiting for it...so think about it...

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If ever I say i'm hitting 51.4 mph and turning 7,500rpm and my gearing at that time is 10.5:1 on my 212cc Slant race bike......you can believe me ;) And I don't really care if ya do or not, but I can prove it.......just ride my bike!

.wee.
I think I've read that it takes about 13 hp for a motorcycle to go 60 mph, so I'm guessing your bike must be about 10 hp?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
CR send me one of those engines and I will set everyone straight on how good they are... I will install it on one of my custom race bike frames, race it and send it back... What better proof then on the track. I have an aluminum frame just waiting for it...so think about it...
It would still be unproven to the people that weren't there to see it.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
It would prove something that's for sure, I got a lot of peeps at the track and we don't lie, why would we. It would be a good ground to test the motor... On a track... I am just putting it out there to help CR.. I like what he is doing... And sure like the head that he offers, I have seen it in person and that will be my next purchase.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I downloaded a app. Called "ski buddy " which is GPS just turn it on and stick your pocket , then give it your best run. If you have ear mugs plugem in reuse ski buddy talks you every few seconds.it also shows the date and time elevation from sea level latitude and longitude were you are in the world.and here's the best part it's a free app for Android are Apple.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
By my calculator with a 4 to 1 happy-time bevel-gear ratio, a 10-tooth main, a 32-tooth rear, and rolling a 26-inch tire, you'd be turning 8400 RPM

Wicked!

As far as reaching 60 mph, I am going to do it with a GPR46 that is rated at 4.1 HP.

Currently I can reach 42.8 MPH with less than 1.5 HP. I have the numbers to prove it out, so its only a matter of dollars and motor-mount fabrication.

:) I am targeting 60+ MPH at 11000 RPM.

My gear calculator: http://thebitstream.com/transcomp/

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Wow I clocked at 138 MPH on my 4 stroke ROFLMAO
I agree with the mods unless you can prove it leave it at home.
unless you want to show us the speeding ticket or ask a friendly cop
to authenticate it using vascar since their is too little body mass for
radar to read it right or you might find a track that will certify your speed.
LOLxct2

VASCAR

Most states allow police officers to catch speeders using technology called VASCAR (Visual Average Speed Computer and Recorder). Despite the fancy name, VASCAR amounts to a stopwatch coupled electronically with a calculator. The calculator divides the distance the target vehicle travels (as recorded by the stopwatch) by the time it took to travel that distance. For example, a car passing between two points 200 feet apart, over two seconds, is traveling an average speed of 200/2 or 100 feet per second, which converts to 68 miles per hour.

Joel G.

May 2, 2012
Guam
I used to have a 1973 Yamaha 2-stroke motorcycle.. It was 200cc, and had two cylinders and would easily do 80 mph! The speedometer would go to 100 mph. What I don't understand is why on this forum there is such friction that is generated from speed claims?? Our bicycle(s) would most likely have not a many bells and whistles or heavy of duty frames, so why are people so in awe as to take away from the others' experience? Personally I do enjoy just cruising on my 66cc China girl, but if I hit supersonic speed one day, it would be nice to be able to share it with you ALL.