Cordless Drill Starts

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Has anyone used a cordless drill to start their engines?
I think it'd be an novel way of awakening your horse(s).

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
on the 2-stroke, trying to start at the nut on the rotor can strip the threads off the crank

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Had to do it after installing freewheel and breaking my pull start. It worked over and over, but it chewed up the nut and if I had any throttle, once the engine started it would unscrew the nut. Ended up buying a few spare nuts, without any more problems. Not that practical to rely only on drill start because if you engine dies and you don't have your drill with you, you're screwed.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for responding, guys.
I wonder if I could use a super long nut, then wire-wrap the bottom part of the long nut to one of the flywheel's fins.
I could weld a small washer onto the nut, at its base. After torquing the nut on, I'd wire-wrap it to a fin. There'd be enough exposed nut for the drill's socket to spin.

I'd want to carry a small cordless screwdriver on my bike.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Friend and I have toyed with the idea of an impact drill in a holster....

Actually it was in response to a drill friction drive bike that did 50 for about 5min... just be a cool way to start except if your battery dies....

Reactions: Dan

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
One can always carry a spare battery.
My uncle mentioned to me of needing a disengaging flywheel nut and quick reflexes.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Troy Bilt products have their JumpStart technology.
Basically cordless drill starts.
Researching......

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
www.killerrc.com/roduct/power-starter/

It's not a perfect fit. The pull start is made for 54mm/23-29cc engines. The key part is the item which bolts onto the flywheel. That and the driver is all I need.
If necessary, I'll buy one and reverse engineer the thing..weld

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hope the jump start feature bumps the power of that 12 Volt drill. It takes every bit of torque from my 18 Volt DeWalt to start my 66 HT.
We'll see. If it doesn't, WalMart should take it back.

Unsure if thlis drill's shaft is long enough to clear the flywheel fins and pull start housing.

Update:
I bought the TROY-BILT cordless starter for $50.03 online. I picked it up from Wal-Mart Mart today.
We'll see if it works on my engines.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
After reading more about Craftsman and Troy-Bilt's JumpStart Technology, I realized the Troy-Bilt starter would probably not work for me.
The snout is too short, in case it needed to clear the pull start housing.

So I returned it at WalMart and bought this driver at Loewe's:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-JumpStart-Electric-Engine-Starter/3415794
This driver has a one-way bearing. When the engine starts, the bearing prevents the engine from overdriving the drill and its connecting parts.

I'll use an ordinary 18v cordless drill and carry it on the bike.

Hopefully, I can find one that looks like a long flashlight.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I hope this works.

If it does, I'll convert my Tanaka-powered Snow Tiger to cordless drill starts.

Sometimes, when police are around or if I have to maneuver slowly around people, I turn my engine off.

This way, I can restart without leaving my seat.

Besides, it's so obvious it's a motorized bicycle, when I have to yank on the pullstart.

I hope this works.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really cool and like where you guys are going with this!

I have played with this but never got past initial, just using a drill and a purpose made socket.

But was thinking a sprag clutch arrangement. Have the starter above, below, in front or behind depending on the engine and a chain. With a solar panel so as not to rob the engine of any umph. (technical term) With an emergency way to wrap a pull rope. Might be mentioned in one of the very old threads.

A sprag clutch is a one-way freewheel clutch.

It resembles a roller bearing but, instead of cylindrical rollers, non-revolving asymmetric figure-eight shaped sprags are used. When the unit rotates in one direction the rollers slip or free-wheel, but when a torque is applied in the opposite direction, the rollers tilt slightly, producing a wedging action and binding because of friction. The sprags are spring-loaded so that they lock with very little backlash"

source; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprag_clutch

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Dan, yes the driver attachment I bought from Lowe's has a sprag clutch.

I'm hoping everything bolts on.