Coaster brake danger!

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Has anyone else had trouble with the rear coaster brakes on their bikes?
Bean Oil (Chris) & I both had our rear brakes lock-up on our saturday ride at the beach...
His rear wheel skidded to a stop, & my pedals locked and started turning & threw me a little into the air!, I landed on my butt on the seat and started dragging my feet like Fred Flintstone to stop!!!
We are both currently buying new rear wheels, & I am having a front wheel built with a old drum brake in it.
(I think a drum is the best way to go with a springer fork.)

If anyone has a bike with a rear coaster brake, I would advise that you have a front brake too!!

Any thoughts?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have both because I broke a chain once.. Never had them lock down and two at the same time would be vegas jackpot odds... go figure... glad no one was hurt.

Bean Oil

Jan 10, 2008
I was surprised to hear about Norm's failure... I was on a different route home that afternoon.

My brake's issue was more of the same that I've had before (cheap HI STOP junk's brake shoes gouging the iron drum inside the hub) so I bought a Japanese-made Shimano coaster brake rear wheel.

Now all I need is the proper-sized rag joint; I misplaced my original rag joint then ordered another which wound up being a much larger bolt circle and basically unusable without mucho modification.

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Right now I'm relying solely on my coaster brake.Looking to put a drum brake hub on the front wheel.I did score a nice coaster hub from a guy on a bike forumKogswell Cycles but to avoid downtime with the weather just getting nice, I think That might be a good project for next winter.Ron

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
My bike only has a coaster brake. I've had many close calls that's why I'm installing a front disc brake. My latest was on our Santa Cruz ride. We were flying at full throttle for a 1/2 mile and when I decided to let off the throttle, my throttle stuck at full throttle. Then was I was trying to slow the motor down by braking. My coaster brake arm's bracket snapped and the pedal almost kicked me off the bike. I evenually got the bike under control and haven't rode it since.
But I am in the works of upgrading my braking system!^5

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Now all I need is the proper-sized rag joint; I misplaced my original rag joint then ordered another which wound up being a much larger bolt circle and basically unusable without mucho modification.

For my "rag joint" I used the soles from an old pair of slippers . The material is much thicker than that supplied with the kit . You can put the holes anywhere you want . An other choice is industrial floor mats used to relief foot fatigue . One small mat will provide enough material for several kits . .... D.J.

ssmario1

Apr 26, 2008
port hueneme
So wazzzzz up felles. I'am looking to buy a kit 4 my bike.?But i can find a good 1.I was read that u guy only buy japaness motor only.{But i went into the internet i found junk from china!!!!!!}SO CAN GUYS POST SOME PLACE 2 GET A GOOD MOTOR KIT..(:confused::-

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
My engine is from Japan or Taiwan- the TAS Spitz. It's really a Tanaka engine circa 1980.

I will say the Chinese "junk" is fun partly because we all know what we are buying going in. If there was a Japanese equivelent of these frame mount kits, they'd be about 599.99 instead of a buck sixty.

You may have more luck if you ask your question in the general disscusion area, but with a new thread....

Last edited:

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
I think if the Chinese would just improve the casting of the cooling fins the general impression of the quality would rise drastically.I've gotten over that and find I'm growing quite fond of my little "China girl".Ron

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Has anyone else had trouble with the rear coaster brakes on their bike?
I learned the hard way going down Mt. Lemon. A 9,000ft mountain. Our Death Race 2007 was up Mt. Lemon, I missed the race due to work so I went by myself the next day. It was great going up, coming down my coaster brake got hot and just stopped working. I had to jam my foot between the tire and frame to stop. I had several close calls and even got the attention of a sheriff.
He was a nice guy, he gave me a ride back down. You know what the sad thing is. I'm still using that very same coaster brake and have not upgraded my brakes like I said I was. It did the same thing again just recently going down A mountain. Once it cools down it works just fine.

ssmario1

Apr 26, 2008
port hueneme
So wazzzzz up felles. I'am looking to buy a kit 4 my bike.?But i can find a good 1.I was read that u guy only buy japaness motor only.{But i went into the internet i found junk from china!!!!!!}SO CAN GUYS POST SOME PLACE 2 GET A GOOD MOTOR KIT..(:confused::-
so cant u guy tell me which china kit is a good one 2 put on my schwiin cruiser:confused:

ssmario1

Apr 26, 2008
port hueneme
getting a good china kit

:confused:
so cant u guy tell me which china kit is a good one 2 put on my schwiin cruiser:confused:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Re: getting a good china kit

:confused:

Mario, I know some guy's dont like king's. Several years ago I purchased seven 80cc kings motors kits when they where $150.00. Every one of them is still running strong. Except for two that I have not used. I have over 3,000miles on mine and ride it everyday.
I also have used several from Spooky's, and as far as I know they have been just fine, one was a 80cc and the rest 48cc.
The only problem I have had is a wrist pin, but that was my fault, had nothing to do with the motor.
I have heard horror stories of some of the china motors, but I have had no problem what so ever. Who's the best place to get it from, I really dont know. As far as I know they all come from the same place, unless someone knows other wise.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think if the Chinese would just improve the casting of the cooling fins the general impression of the quality would rise drastically.I've gotten over that and find I'm growing quite fond of my little "China girl".Ron
A file and some sandpaper go a long way toward making one look like a "quality engine".;)