Can you get back the $ you put into a bike?

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I can honestly say that I've never sold a bike.........but, I've given many away to needy homes (never given a motorized bike away, at least yet!).

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Even though it is difficult to make a profit when letting go of your motorized bike, I can guarantee that the learning experience and fun are well worth the money and effort. I think that the main reason keeping market prices on used bikes low is that there are millions of mopeds, scooters, and motorcycles out on the market which have standardized parts, service manuals, and reliability reputations (i.e.: Honda) so people tend to go the safe route when selecting a motorbike. The trials and tribulations which lead to development and learning how to repair unfamiliar stuff is part of a the fun though. Each type of bike and the engine has its own weaknesses which you will find from riding, and by breaking down, and you get the opportunity to figure it out. The only reason why I would want to sell one of my bikes is for the cash to start a new build and make myself a new set of problems to solve! :p

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Thanks guys. I'm going to move forward with the build, but being on vacation has put a pause on it. It will be exciting! Just afraid of what a cop can do to me with such an illegal engine. But hopefully I will get by with a CA plate. I will be making a lot of the parts normally provided in a fit, such as the throttle (modified grip shifter epoxied to custom grip with plastic sleeve inside). The throttle will be more sensitive than the 80cc kit. I find I have to twist it a lot to get full revs. I will buy a CNC mount, clutch, build the bicycle, and go from there.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've been watching this thread for a few days... It's really bad for everyone when someone gets hurt on one of these things & I strongly advise that you get a better bike than a Huffy for a 212cc engine!!

I did a little searching & found this for you... http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/5930150270.html

It's a much stronger bike for that engine & will also be worth a lot more money when you try to sell it... (& don't forget to buy a good front brake for it). ;)

I also did a little research here on Oregon laws... It seems they're very strict on these bikes & having such a large engine on a bike will probably lead to endless bad encounters with the law... any cop that pulls you over with that CA plate on it will instantly call BS on you & make you register it in your own state... (which you won't be able to do).

Your best bet is to install a small 49cc engine, lights, mirrors & a horn & try to legally register it as moped in your state.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Venice, I believe it was you suggested another bike to me, a Schwinn middleweight, which is what I'm buying?
I've tried to say a few times that I won't ever again use crap for a build. I've never even touched a huffy bike and I don't plan to, although as an experiment I did try a cheap bike for my HT kit.

Well, after that comment I don't want to build this. I could still use it for joyrides on quiet roads.
I could make a fake vin and try to register it as a motorcycle but that would be really difficult in Oregon. Plus I'd need endorsement. And there are pretty much zero cops here.

There's an option of making it an electric hybrid and using the engine only out of sight. But then it seems useless.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I've been watching this thread for a few days... It's really bad for everyone when someone gets hurt on one of these things & I strongly advise that you get a better bike than a Huffy for a 212cc engine!!

I did a little searching & found this for you... http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/5930150270.html

It's a much stronger bike for that engine & will also be worth a lot more money when you try to sell it... (& don't forget to buy a good front brake for it). ;)

I also did a little research here on Oregon laws... It seems they're very strict on these bikes & having such a large engine on a bike will probably lead to endless bad encounters with the law... any cop that pulls you over with that CA plate on it will instantly call BS on you & make you register it in your own state... (which you won't be able to do).

Your best bet is to install a small 49cc engine, lights, mirrors & a horn & try to legally register it as moped in your state.
AMEN! To that, can't do what ya want have to abide by the law.Keep this sport alive not abuse it..........Curt

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
A fake VIN won't work... (they're smarter than that).. :(

If you want to just use it on back roads?, that's fine, but if you're planning on trying to get your money back out of it someday?, your best bet is to build something that's street legal (& easier to sell).

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Oregon is weird. There are laws for motor assisted stand up scooters, but not for bicycles. They are a grey area. But there are laws for electric bicycles, and they're completely legal. So here, any gas powered bike can be considered either legal or illegal since there are no laws for them except electric bike laws.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
There is no way to register as a moped, they are not the same class. The on,y way to be completely "lega"l here is with an electric motor. Perhaps I'll build another smaller engine bike (with disc brakes) and see how long I can put around without getting a warning.
The law system is messed up.

Maybe I could build a 212 bike and sell it to someone in CA via eBay. Lol. UPS will ship 150lbs. For $200. That's not a bad price for something so big and heavy.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Why can't you register it as a moped? I seriously doubt that you will get in trouble as long as you abide by the speed limits for a moped/motorized bicycle. If you ruffle feathers, well, you're prolly gonna get a ticket and the bike impounded whether it's legal by displacement or not.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Ah never mind, sounds like you might have issues trying to register it in Oregon because it isn't a mass manufactured and tested moped. This thread talks about it, very unfortunate...
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=4190

Maybe build a full-on motorcycle with all the turn signals and junk and register it as a custom motorcycle, or motor-driven-cycle (less than 250cc in CA)?

I'm glad at least CA has made the motorized bicycle laws more relaxed to promote the use of cycles to reduce traffic congestion. Electrics are promoted because they are quiet and don't produce emissions, but they aren't quite yet an affordable way to build a powerful bike which also has range, it's a trade off due to the Watt-hours of battery packs.

Whatever you choose, it's best to promote a good image for the hobby while promoting your freedom to ride. If enough people do the same, then maybe public opinion (or lobbying) will change things in your state in favor of motorized bicycling.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Took another look at the Oregon laws because I don't want to spread misinformation. If you keep it under 50cc and have all the Dot stuff like a moped you should be able to register it. If you register it as a moped with a 212cc installed, I'm not really sure what you would be charged with if caught but they will probably find something. They would probably use the charges used against pocket bikes. I think the manufacturer safety test stuff is misinformation being used to discourage people from building gas bikes, since Oregon is big on pedal bikes, and pedal bikers hate motorized bicycles. In CA you make your own VIN for a motorized bicycle, which is probably the case in OR, the DMV can help you figure it out.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Dang. It's complicated. I wish batteries were cheaper for Ebikes. Dot stuff is hard to find for bicycles.
How would they ever catch you? They can't pull apart an engine.
Maybe I should build it and go from there

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'm sorry, I guess I simply can't understand why you think you need an engine that is 3X larger than what works great and legal for everyone else.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I'm sorry, I guess I simply can't understand why you think you need an engine that is 3X larger than what works great and legal for everyone else.
212cc works great for lots of people. I use mine every day and ride in the lane with the cars. They give me a lot more respect (in the form of space) when I command it.

Look up laws for homebuilt vehicles. In CA homebuilts have different rules and generally reduced safety requirements, but they cannot be sold as homebuilts (I guess "destroying" it, selling, then having new owner might work). Also small quantity manufacturers can get away with vehicles without all the safety requirements for the special vehicle manufacturer clause or whatever it's called. It seems like the laws in OR really suck; so either make it electric or go the homebuilt motorcycle route. Electrics aren't that much more expensive when you consider their lack of vibration and easier way to install a drivetrain. For a 212 you'll probably need a motorcycle license and insurance which won't be cheap for you at your age (it's not cheap for anybody really, when I was 21 I paid $850 a year for a 250 motorcycle). But if you do get it together it will be the most economical method of transport you can have.

You can get your money back but unlikely on your first bike.