Can a get a throttle cable locally?

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
What kind of replacement throttle cable should I use on my 48cc chinese 2 stroke?
I was going to use a shifter cable from a bicycle but the cylinder shaped fitting on the end is too big to fit in the carburator slide. If the cable end is too big, will it will prevent the slide from going all the way down and cause a high idle speed?

Can I buy the carburator end cable fitting somewhere and crimp it onto my shifter cable?

I have a good throttle cable on my mo-bike now, but I'm planning to remove the twist throttle (It's uncomfortable to my wrist to use it) and replace it with an older mountain bike thumb shifter, as a few have done on this forum site.
Thanks

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Why not use your stock cable and change the upper end to fit whatever throttle you use? If a screw on cable end will work, go for it.

Also the ends can be modified/reshaped with silver solder

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I took Bikeguy Joes' advice, cut my original throttle cable and added a bolt on cable terminal.
Making a spare cable with the dremel sounds like a good idea.

I like using the lever throttle much more than the twist type.
Thanks everybody.

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Let me know if you find any shops locally that carry that stuff (Cable & shifter). My clutch lever pin came out and I couldn't find a c-clip for it, so I just used a spring from Ace Hardware, drilled the pin and used a cotter pin. Very Sanford & Son.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Guys you are going to find yourself doing a lot of shade tree make do repairs just go with it. I have a lever shifter for a throttle, and a brake lever for a clutch lever. As long as it works and gets you home thats about all you can ask for with these things lol.

I forgot who it was on this forum who took one look at my bike and said there is a true example of "Chrome don't get you home". The bike is ugly as sin but it does get me home. (most of the time)

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
hahhahhaha I love that "Chrome don't get you home." lol love it. We DIY'ers should get t-shirts....

on another note, if you are handy with solder you can wrap the end of your cable in thin copper wire to the size you need, neatness counts and then coat that in a layer of solder, either by torch or iron. you can then dremel it down to what ever size and shape you need.

when I made my cable stop for my weedwhacker engine, I found I had to heat the cable and what I was attaching to it up with a lighter and burn off any lubricant that was on it, it caused the solder to not stick.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you guys who need the special ends on your cables I have a mold to put the ends on with but you will need to send me the cable to do it.