Cafe Creme - my Boardtracker project.

GoldenMotor.com

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Redditch [UK] and Reichenau [Saxony ]
Just done a POC for the headers using plastic plumbing fittings. No way the rear will clear the Valor fuel cell, so I'll have to go with under engine cell as my KZ750 Cafe racer. Plenty of room, just another outsource job. Two options for the rear header - the sexy version and the boring version. The steel versions will have some shape to the sweeps, for now I just wanted to see what's possible.

Did a check on the under "tank" electrics and the starter relay is too big enough to fit on the side - have to go underneath or maybe on top of the main tube.

While I was mocking up the rear header it became obvious that the gearlinkage [ hand change ] would cause difficulties in removing fitting the exhaust - so that's got to be moved. Fortunately it can be mounted off the rear frame down tube to the engine.

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Sheldonhurst Ltd. and Legend Motor company.

Some very nice club cars.

Sheldonhurst was where I designed and manufactured my own version of a 356 Speedster - and later a T4 Roadster. I was also a freelance design consultant for RAM automotive [ Shelby endorsed Cobra ] and Mohr Innovationnen in Germany.

In my Legend days I designed a 550A Spyder as I wasn't a fan of VW Floorpans or backbone chassis.

Very cool!

I only mentioned the Beck because it's a full tube chassis... (it's not a VW pan).

beck chassis.jpg

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Here's my 550A chassis. Unequal wishbones front and back.

I also built a prototype to take Boxster mechanicals, - body was enlarged by 15% to accomodate

Attachments

Last edited:

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Looks like the final bit of tacking on the frame will be done by Monday. My pal ran out of wire and couldn't complete the job when he came over last.

just sorting a time out wth him now .................. then it's finding someone who will fully weld it all up. Been let down twice already !

Gathering the parts now to mock up the stalnless headers and arranging to have the 76mm alloy billet turned down into the two retaining ring / flanges.

Good news on the fuel cell front - after getting quotes ranging from £95 to £135 for a simple rectangular alloy tank I remembered many years ago seeing a 1 gallon [ imperial ] version of the 2 gallon vintage petrol cans. Good old Ebay !!!! Found several and they will fit in the space behind the engine and clear the rear header. Currently £10 with one day to go and I'm the only bidder.

Bit of enginuity required for the filler location, but I have a plan.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
BC heartfelt condolences on finding a competent tradesman to weld a bit of tube, but seems par for the round in these times.

Fuel tanks are all a bit fussy on bikes that's why so many end up bending their own. I'm certain you will sort it all!

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Tank issue sorted - £10 !!! Plus a few brass BSP hose tails and fittings and a right angle copper plumbing fitting to bring thr filler neck vertical so I can still use the original brass filler cap. In the vertical position I get 1 gallon [ imp ] and it JUST fits behind the engine and bottom frame rails ..... phewwwww.

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
I've now scored a 1 gallon [ imp ] petrol can which fits perfectly behind the engine but will give additional clearance for the rear header.

I'll have to mount it vertically and move the filler through 90 degrees. BTW - the brass cap that came with the can is worth £35 on it's own !!

I was quoted anywhere between £95 and £135 for a simple rectangular tank in aluminium ! The vintage can - £10, plus a couple of brass hose tails and a 90 degree bend for the filler and job done - total £15.

The vintage brass syringe pump has been modified to be a fuel log as it comes with it's own tap. Just had to fit a brass hose tail to the other end for the inlet supply from the electric fuel pump.

I was looking for a vintage look for the gearchange [ hand ] rods, so came up with the solution to cut off the ends from the original linkage [ Honda traillie ] and insert them into the correct length copper tube. Used my best new friend Epoxy resin - perfect.

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
And 20 minutes later the POC fuel cell !!!

Fits perfectly and gives me 1 imp gallon. I'm hoping to find someone who can solder the neck / filler elbow and also the 2 brass hose tails [ for fuel supply ] and a breather take off.
If not - I've still got 3 packs of resin glue !

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
THANX, I've got one or two other little detail touches lined up !
Tank is almost there - just some fettling and working out how / where to attach the "Milano" belt

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
At last, I contacted the guy that does my machine work. He's only just come back to working full time.

I asked him about making the exhaust flanges for me - no problem.

Then I asked him if he knew anyone who could weld my frame ................. "I'll do it", came the reply.

I'm going down to his workshop next week to sort it all out, then it's dismantle the bike and hopefully end up with fully welded frame.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
I dropped the alloy billet off today for the exhaust flanges to be machined.

I showed my machine shop guy the pix of my frame and he has no problems for welding it for me.

Frame stripped down now, just got to remove the odds and ends and I can take it down to him. I'm leaving the engine in as it is a semi-stressed member and will act as a jig while he's welding - good job it's not the 1000cc Virago I was going to use at one time !

Attachments