Cafe Creme - my Boardtracker project.

GoldenMotor.com

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Redditch [UK] and Reichenau [Saxony ]
As a lifetime welder who's mid 70's I encourage you to learn now. Instructional videos are better than ever and free. Machines are better than ever and for hobby machines, quite inexpensive. Then practice often. I know you will surprise yourself with your proficiency.

Rick C.
I can stick 2 bits of metal together - but not pretty !

When I had my business I had coded welders working for me on the chassis' and other parts so I never bothered to learn - stupid.

I did seriuously look at getting one of the new breed of gassless Mig welders - £50 - £100.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I hope your friend comes through his surgery well. I've had friends who have had either open heart surgery or stents and it got them back to good health.

I understand the feeling as you bring the frame to your friends shop, have it welded, and bring it home and take it out of the jig and it's straight on where it should be.

As Rick said you can learn to weld. YouTube has many videos available that will show you how. I'd ask your friends who are welders what machine they would recommend to start with and then when your set up, weld use all the scraps of metal in the shop to practise on.

Steve.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Hi Steve,

thanx for the kind words re: my pal. His surgeon is very hopeful of a good outcome.

At my end of the age scale [ 78 ] far too many of my peers are dropping off their perches. However, after a few health scares of my own in the past 10 years, I'm now in good health and keen to get things completed.

Even more important with more behind me than in front to try to maintain schedules where I'm reliant o n other peeps.

I always encourage "youngsters" in our hobby to get on with stuff ....... don't put it off saying "loads of time" ........... unfortunately time is finite as far as we're concerned.

Wow, that was a deep thought for a glorious sunny Tuesday morning !!!!!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Glorious days indeed! Sincere gratitude mixed with our individual and corporate life realities makes for a more pleasant now. Life has been. and is a messy affair at times yet well worth the effort.

Rick C.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
I decided against using a leather strap to hold the tank down and settled on a couple of Rivnuts in the top tube with some brass allthread and domed nuts. Got some nice oversize brass washers to go under the nuts. They are not doing any work as the "tank" only weighs a couple of pounds.

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Now becoming a collection of parts again [ !! ] as the POC mock up gets pulled down for the frame to be fully welded, bearings stripped from wheels [ for powder coating ].

Had to skip the mounts for the foot pedals and gear / brake , but I did get a rough mock up before stripping down.

I was able to finalise the front brake plate position and by a stroke of luck the lower fixing screw for the bottom clevis of the front fork hoop can be aligned with the original Honda brake torque slot.

Only major headscratching now is how to get the rear exhaust header in to clear the fuel cell. No big deal if you are a welder / fabricator - there is room - but I need to be able to mock it up accurately for someone else to fabricate.

I need to get the seat and tank back in place and securely attached so I can sit on it and figure out the ergonomics - I want to be able to ride it !! One day.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
You're making splendid progress despite having to depend on assorted others for specialized work. I too use others where it makes sense to do so and not compromise the standard of my build. There was a time when I wanted to say I laid and joined every tube and cut and formed every sheet of metal in a build, but got over it a few years back and now buy most everything I used to fabricate. Now I might alter a frame or tin to my taste, but I buy if it's availible. Custom stuff I fabricate still and make no apologies for either.

You are doing a fine job of it!

Rick C.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
You're making splendid progress despite having to depend on assorted others for specialized work. I too use others where it makes sense to do so and not compromise the standard of my build. There was a time when I wanted to say I laid and joined every tube and cut and formed every sheet of metal in a build, but got over it a few years back and now buy most everything I used to fabricate. Now I might alter a frame or tin to my taste, but I buy if it's availible. Custom stuff I fabricate still and make no apologies for either.

You are doing a fine job of it!

Rick C.

Thanx for the kind words of encouragement Rick, feedback from you guys spurs me on.

I decided that I didn't like the polished lower fork stanchions against the black gaiters, so took a step back and painted them in the main frame colour. Bit of overspray on the gaiters [ mask up properly ! ], but that will clean off easily enough.

I was a bit reluctant to change from my original plan of Coffee and Cream for the colourways, but I'm pleased with the colour combo.

It's difficult selecting a period correct colour, but the Celeste Blue is the correct original Edoardo Bianchi colour and still used today on their bicycles.

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It's always a slower march to success than originally anticipated. However success is always reached no matter how slow the march. The blue is a beautiful colour and age appropriate I'd say. Buying ready made parts is a necessity for most of us. Even with a machine shop and the skills to back it up, the time to make them far out weighs the cost of buying them ready made.

Steve.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
I've ordered some 35mm plastic plumbing fittings ..... my cunning plan is to use these to mock up the rear header to clear Valor tank...................

There is a plan B - ditch the Valor fuel cell in favovour of a tank under the engine - I've done this before successfully [ also my KZ750 Cafe Racer ] .... but the Valor can is growing on me - comments ?

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Do you think this bike will be finished in time for the 10 year anniversary of this build thread on November 3rd? :eek:
I would like to think it will be, painted, assembled and looking like a bike by then.

Unlike the past 10 years with 5 years of kidney failure [ now arrested ], and 3 years of matrimonial separation [ after 40 years ] and toxic / expensive divorce I'm hoping for a smoother path to completion. Regrettably there are some large lumps of outsource work that I have to rely on others for.

Get the anniversary cake ready.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Life at times is similar to a minefield which can't be avoided and one can't remain stationary in either; Bouncing Betty is always ready; to top it all organized withdrawal isn't a survivable option. Press on. It's what we do.

Having lived in 9 decades I've trusted my training and my comrades to move and shoot and of the two moving on is the most important. Not easy just necessary.

After all this time, I'm still having fun! I'm also up for some cake and icecream.

Rick C.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Although it is 10 years since I started seriously collecting parts and planning for my Boardtracker, in my defence, can I say that this FINAL incarnation was only finalised after several years in the doldrums and only started in May 2021 !!!!

In reality, I'd been ruminating about a Boardtracker homage since 2002.

In the days when I had good helath, workshop facilities and a dozen skilled craftsmen working for me I designed, prototyped and built POC machines in my spare time from my day job - designing, building, manufacturing and marketing replica sports cars. That's what paid the bills and allowed me to play with my passion hobby stuff - bikes.

The Oilhead Cafe Racer went from a "whatif" to a riding prototype in 12 weeks, the Boxster based Speedster in 16 weeks from the 1st pic to driving pre-production car.

Enough of the Rose tinted Mk 9's - back to reality ......................................

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
In the days when I had good helath, workshop facilities and a dozen skilled craftsmen working for me I designed, prototyped and built POC machines in my spare time from my day job - designing, building, manufacturing and marketing replica sports cars. That's what paid the bills and allowed me to play with my passion hobby stuff - bikes.

The Oilhead Cafe Racer went from a "whatif" to a riding prototype in 12 weeks, the Boxster based Speedster in 16 weeks from the 1st pic to driving pre-production car.
Pretty cool stuff! (^)
What was the name of your old company??

One of the guys in my vintage Volkswagen club has a Beck Speedster replica... It's a really nice car that has a full tube chassis!
You can see some of our cars here... WestSide VolksWagen Club (@westsidevwclub) • Instagram photos and videos

275506639_565575501169527_1052233517181932301_n.jpg

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Sheldonhurst Ltd. and Legend Motor company.

Some very nice club cars.

Sheldonhurst was where I designed and manufactured my own version of a 356 Speedster - and later a T4 Roadster. I was also a freelance design consultant for RAM automotive [ Shelby endorsed Cobra ] and Mohr Innovationnen in Germany.

In my Legend days I designed a 550A Spyder as I wasn't a fan of VW Floorpans or backbone chassis.

Attachments