Cafe Creme - my Boardtracker project.

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
It certainly is here in the States Norm. I've a few vintage bikes which have serial numbers on the frame which in some states can be a help to registration of a motorized project. Though my use of a fake VIN plate with say HD or Indians reg Trade mark, but with the correct frame seriel number would not be legal yet I think the DMV here would ok it for registration. I would just not mount the VIN plate till registration was approved.
I have two bikes which though pedal equipped are straight up motorcycles and in order to sell and get full value would require registration and all legal accessories.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Redditch [UK] and Reichenau [Saxony ]
Things are different here in the UK. provided that the actual chassis / frame / commission number remain the same [ proof required ] it's OK to use a new plate.

As a Low Volume Vehicle manufacturer [ Cobras, Porsche Speedsters, Jags ] I produced my own chassis plates, but there was no legal requirement for me to log these with the DVLA [ DOT ].

Once my customer registered their replica cars the chassis / engine numbers were then recorded by the DVLA and remained with the car.

Usually the donor vehicle's details were incorporated on my chassis plate.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Another year dawns ...... and I pick up my project [ s ] pretty well where they left off in November !!

Pal who was going to weld my frame and press in wheel bearings suffered a double whammy of Covid and a close family member death.

He is just about getting himself back to normal and hopefully I will see my frame and wheel soon.

It's YEARS since I last fitted a tyre [ 45 ? ] and I don't trust myself NOT to damage my newly powder coated rims, even with my plastic rim fitting protectors. I have another pal who races with his son nearly every weekend in the season [ motocross ] and fitting tyres is second nature to him. he's volunteered to do the fitting as soon as my front wheel comes back with new bearings fitted.

I should be finished with the bike ramp soon [ for the Boardtracker ] so the Glemseck KZ750 Cafe Racer can go back on.

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Thanx for your interest.

Progress ? Nothing substantiual as I'm still waiting for the frame to be welded and returned !

I have also suffered a return of the CKD [ chronic kidney disease ] after being stable for the past 6 years or so, not at critical levels, but enough to slow me down. Almost stabilised now - just in time for a final push this year to get it finished.

However the rear wheel has been built up with the tyre and I finalised the rear brake plate - painted in matching colour and satin lacquered.

I'm collecting my front wheel on Thursday - it was at the welder's to have front wheel bearings fitted.Yes, I could [ should ?] have done it myself with bolts wshers, but I didn't want to risk damaging the powder coating.

The pal who fitted the rear tyre [ 3 hours after waiting for THREE MONTHS ], will fit the bearings and the tyre.

In the event the frame isn't welded I'm going to have to look for yet another " yes no problem" welder.

The bike was pretty well dry built with all the essential parts fitted and bracketed. Just final positioning of the pedals and foot controls, seat and finalising the hand gearchange assembly design.

Thanx again for nthe feedback guys - keeps my spirits up. TJ

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Real ray of light ................... i went to my mechanic's yesterday to drop my old Volvo off for it's annual MOT [ tech inspection ].

Also collected my front wheel and unfitted bearings !!

Then the real bonus - I bumped into an old buddy that I sub let part of my workshop too [ for free ] when he lost his own workshop - abruptly.

My old workshop was next door [ see pix of my Speedster / 550 Spyder bodies awaiting buildsback in the day ] to my mechanic's present workplace. On my way out I bumped into my old pal.

Long story short .... when he heard about my welding issues - he volunteered immediately !!

He has had a 4 year battle with cancer - which he has now won - so I haven't seen him on my visits to the units. He only works 3 days a week now, but has promised to get the frame welded - and knowing him well, it WILL happen.

I'm now 3 months behind my schedule, but with summer and decent weather coming up I intend to have a real blitz.

Attachments