Cafe Creme - my Boardtracker project.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Redditch [UK] and Reichenau [Saxony ]
Good news on the intake manifold .......... I took the OEM unit off the engine and found out under all the rubber crap - it's alloy ! I have got an original 1 1/4" SU alloy intake flange - bingo, no need to get a manifold fabricated I just need a simple swan neck bend fron the carb to the original manifold. Not often something just drops into place.

I also priced up the rear axle mount plates ...... HOW MUCKIN FUTCH !!! It's only £35 dearer to get a complete rear end tubing kit together with axle plates !

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
I've now sourced a 90 degree alloy tube bend. so that's the connector to the OEM manifold sorted.

There's going to be enough offcut to weld to the SU flange.

In the meantime the rear frame kit has arrived and the 21" rim and TS125 hub have gone off to the wheelbuilder.

Reactions: fasteddy

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Oooops, the intake is a composite - a very complicated composite, consisting of an alloy mounting flange each end with a rigid plastic insert to form the actual manifold all covered in some sort of horrible heavy rubber which also forms the intake mount for the OEM carb !!!!!!!!

Gizzajob Yamaha I could have designed a simple cast alloy part to do the job. My basic plan will still work, although I'll use a copper 90 degree plumber's elbow and glue it into the rubber attachment collar.

Fortunately new manifolds are only £9.00 from Chinabay.

Reactions: fasteddy

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Yep, that'll work.

Can't believe how well it's all falling into place .... for a change !

The copper plumbing elbow [ 45 degree ] is an exact fit for the ID of the intake manifold neck [ rubber ] and a simple HD clamp will do the job of securing it, although because of the weight of the SU, I'll make support brackets to take the weight from the existing head brackets [ now redundant ]. The carb will be fully supported by the brackets with no weight on the manifold joint.

That sits the SU float bowl at the correct angle and all that remains now is to attach the copper elbow to the alloy carb flange.

The overall look is just what I was hoping to achieve - "olde worlde" and the SU is relatively easy to tune and literally ALL the parts and spares are available from the SU continuation company - The SU Carburetter Company in Salisbury England.

Next job is to lay all the components out on the floor [ my extension / dining room has 12" square tiles !! ], and essentially, join the dots.

The only concern at the moment is the 100 x 50 ERW box tube top frame member possibly interfering with the carb. As the tank will actually be a cosmetic dummy [ hiding the electrics and other modern squitter ], I could do one of those clever cut outs around the carb if necessary. I can reduce the top tube to 50 x 50 if I have to.

Attachments