briggs kick start motorbike

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Briggsbiker

Looks like a real motor bike and most likely performs better than most. Belts are so trouble free if set up correctly. Congrats on a state of the art build, for function, dependability and all around good looks.

I did not know about this build till a couple days ago. Was not on the forums much for months.

Ron

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
WITH BRIGGSBIKER`S BLESSING;

Attaching some pic`s for diy kick starter idea`s. The chain ring and pedal crank are for idea`s only, they were handy for pics. Would use a straight pedal crank and maybe a non-dished chainring for laminating for wider teeth on the kick pedal part, or possibly a guide on each side of the chainring teeth.

The sprockets could stay engaged or just use section`s of large chain ring and let pedal rest in the kicked dn position.

The sprockets in these picture`s have a 5.5" center to center distance.

In my experience most fly wheels fit a taper with a keyway`s and a key, then held in position with a nut.

The adapter pictured has a 7/8" keyed hole. A 1/2" length of keyed or non-keyed 7/8" shaft could be accurately center drilled and tapped to match the motor thread. Weld the shaft into the adapter. (staton sells the same adapters with 3 groves for a optional mounting of a thin sprocket with the freewheel for jackshafts) I would opt for the grooved adapter .

The complete free wheel assembly with adapter and threaded shaft section only add`s 1/2" to motor width. Maybe less than the factory nut. Note; needs to be right hand thread.

The freewheel sprocket will screw on from both sides, but only one side will be correct for kick starting. Flip it over for driving a wheel = but then it will screw off the crankshaft unless pegged some how.

This is much easier than i thought at first.

Ron
Pretty cool, Ron. If you make one of these up on something I'd like to see it.
Not only is a kick start convenient, but it also 'kicks' a build up into another level of cool and one step closer to 'motorcycle'.
SB

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Briggsbiker

Not planning on a kickstart build currently. I have so many unfinished motorbicycles and motors now.

I just recently found your build thread and liked your build . Then as members were showing interest in your cool kick start, started thinking on a diy how too.

Culver city classic`s and cobrafreak stripped their motor`s and was sorta thinking of their build`s without starters.

The freewheel sprocket would work fine and is easy. The rest will take a little longer, but could be a solid system.

Would like to see someone develope the idea.

Thanks for the permission to post.

Ron

MotorCrazy

Jul 22, 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Hey Briggsbiker, im interested in how you did your flywheel? Taking all the fins off it, I think it makes the Briggs look real great, could you give me some info please? Im interested in doing something similar. Thanks, awesome bike too :D its got me thinking.....

briggsbiker

Nov 18, 2010
Riverside, CA
Hi motor crazy sorry for not responding right away, things have been busy! Anyways on the fly wheel I just grinded the fins off and then I had someone machine it smooth with a lathe. I did have one problem though with the magnet. I had left it on to shave the one side off but when I went to start the bike the magnet flew off because it only had the inside bracket holding on so I put a new one on and left both sides on.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wohoo! that is good to hear Briggs! Was wondering how-2 and just got a lathe for unrelated projects.

Keeps turning out it was good to get one.

briggsbiker

Nov 18, 2010
Riverside, CA
Well I was planning on it until about 2 months ago, the tranny on my truck went out so I don't have a truck right now. I really wanna go though! But there's always next time.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Briggsbiker,

PM me, I am driving out early Saturday morning in a rental truck. I'm coming from Hollywood on the 10 freeway, so Corona is on the way.

Gilbert

RawRaw

Jan 12, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey silverbear. I only have a few books left. Like I told curtisfox, it's more of a ten page instruction pamphlet with a few drawings. I made the book after I built the bike because my brother suggested I could sell them on ebay. So after getting Kinko's to print them, I sold over 100 for $9.95 to $14.95 back when ebay had "dutch auctions". That more than paid for my bike so I'm done with charging for them (although briggsbiker bought one, but I gave him some parts and loaned him tools, so I guess we're okay). Out of all that sold, I know of three bikes built. Two locally and one in Puerto Rico. This was way before the new Whizzers and chinese motor kits, so I copied the old Whizzer style because I own a few of them. Keep in mind it just shows the way I made my motorbike, and should be used as inspiration and guidelines for your own ideas. Send me a private message with your address and I'll make sure you get one. If anyone else wants one, I'll send until I run out, then request someone to make copies for the rest. Thanks for your interest. The info and pleasure I receive from this forum far outways the cost of a few printed pages.
I know im a couple of years off but any chance I could get a copy of that book? I have a 68 schiwnn that i want to put an engine one. The Chinese kits are not my style. I really like the look that briggsbiker has. Also, new to this. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!

briggsbiker

Nov 18, 2010
Riverside, CA
Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately i do not know what happened to the booklet I had but definately an old Schwinn is a good choice for a motor bike, they are nice and strong. Also a 5hp briggs is a great motor to use, parts are pretty cheap and if you want more power, there are tons of aftermarket and performance parts to supe them up. I just got a rebuild kit for my motor and carb and a billet rod, performance cam, dual valve springs that I have yet to install. I wanna get a little more power out of mine. I would suggest going with a torque converter too! Makes the bike faster in bottom and top end!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Re-reading this thread has been a ride down memory lane and a reminder of how cool the Briggs bikes are. When I first saw msrfan's builds I was smitten and this one has me thinking about it all over again.

With some time having passe and I imagine a good many miles later, how would you assess the project? What have you changed along the way? What would you do differently? Wonderful bike!
SB

briggsbiker

Nov 18, 2010
Riverside, CA
Thanks silverbear, I don't think I would Change much that is already there but ever since I got this to the point where I can ride it, I have not done much different. I was thinking of changing where the exhaust 90's down from the motor because it creates a lot of heat since it is not smooth flowing. I still plan on adding some lights and making a charging system for a small battery. But I like it for now, it's got a raw look to it. Soon I will be rebuilding the engine and carb, hopefully get a few more horses out of it.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
This is such a good thread I thought I'd bump it for those who never saw it. Was wondering if anyone ever scanned msrfan's how to booklet so it could be shared (with his permission already granted). It would be a good thing and better yet to have the scan available as a sticky.

Been staring at my 51 "kindalikeawhizzer" back burner build lately as it sits in the front window of my old trailer house. I've been planning for it to use a Jacobsen 147cc 2 stroke, but every time I think about these Briggs engines in a Schwinn cantilever frame I get a recurring itch and want to look through the little how-to booklet again... which I cannot find. I don't know where it is and it's driving me nuts. The "kindalikeawhizzer" is likely going to be my last build and I'd like for it to be something special. It may very well end up married to a sidecar in the form of an old "sociable" where the seating and controls are inside the extended sidecar (made from the rest of my Grumman canoe donor). If I went this route then a substantial engine is called for capable of hauling two adults and a dog up down and all around the town without difficulty. This would also satisfy the itch to build a cyclecar which is not going to happen. The Briggs engine says "Americana" and fills up that cantilever frame beautifully. And the sound of the engine... be still my beating heart.

Dale put a lot of skill and effort into the builds which inspired the how to booklet. It should not be forgotten. It would give an old bear lots of inspiration as he sits by the fire semi-hibernating through a long winter.
Can and will someone scan and share the booklet? It would be much appreciated...
SB

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow, SB! Great old thread and thanks for bumping it!

I found that booklet just the other day but tore up my shop to build shelving and now can't find it right now. I'm sure I put it some where safe and so I would know where it was.

Will scan ASAP. I skimmed through but did not see his permission. I just want to be absolute before posting.

Just realized, haven't seen MSRFAN in a while. Hope all is good!

Hehe, didn't you just make fun of me for "marrying" parts? "It may very well end up married to a sidecar in the form of an....."

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, indeed I made fun with you (not at, really) and yes I use "marriage" in the nautical way too.

I recall Dale asking that someone scan it once he ran out of giveaways, but that was then and this is now and getting permission again would be a respectful thing to do. I'll post a note to him and ask if he doesn't see this thread and jump in here with a comment. He is currently posting on a thread involving a joint effort to rebuild a year 2.000 Whizzer along with Mason-man for a mutual friend. Nice thread to follow, by the way even though I'll never have a real Whizzer. Actually I'd rather have a Briggs version of his.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
By the way, I've been thinking about a hand crank starter for the Briggs like what I'm doing for my 34 Elgin Velocipede. There is a nut on the exposed flywheel isn't there?
SB