Briggs bike build

GoldenMotor.com

oppanoia

Oct 20, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
The look that I'm going for is similar to a original whizzer. It's pretty inventive to mount the engine to the under side of the bike. Check out msrfan's threads to see the finished set up. the motor fits in the frame at almost the same angle as the BMX set up.

Attachments

hammi423

Apr 20, 2011
scotland
not to be a kill joy but i'm not sure if the engine lubrication will work with the engine mounted like that, the dipper might not pick up enough oil etc.
nice bike though.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ive seen many bikes mounted the same way. MSRFAN has many bikes that he says he has ridden many many miles with no ill effects. Theres another build on here and he has his briggs mounted horizontally although i havent looked to see how it lasted....

oppanoia

Oct 20, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
I have made good headway on the build over the last few weeks. I'm trying to get the bike ready for the race in October. check it out. The tank mounts came out pretty nice. I have spent some time filing down the fins mainly for a clean look. The other piece holds as well gives me the ability to adjust the belt pulley.

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yessir! Hac a lot of fun working on your bike today. Looks like we'll have quite a few Briggs bikes for the Otober 22 race at Grange. Really looking forward to mixing it up with you guys.

oppanoia

Oct 20, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
So I think I'm finished cleaning up the motor. I spent some time smooting out the intake and exhaust ports. I started smoothing out the welds on the frame. I made a pretty serious discovery today..... air tools SUCK and don't save any time with a 6 gallon compressor!! My "need to buy tool list" just got a little longer and more expensive. I want to hear her turn over!!!!!

Attachments

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Nice looking little engine!

...you did know you can carve a channel from where the intake valve seats down in that recess over to the cylinder... just stay ABOVE where the top piston ring stops it's travel... makes em breathe better, they say.
Then yah gotta mill the head more to get the compression back up again!

Best
rc

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Seems like I'm maybe the only briggs builder that has the engine tilt backward to fit.

I did see that there is more room for carb and exhaust not obstructed by the seat post if tilt forward as long as you can make or get the nice manifold parts like you have done.

Was that intake part something from you made or bought? Your nice weld and grind smoothing makes it look like factory!

Maybe one day I can dream of stretching the frame and having another briggs tilt forward. Then I manually connect externally for a v-twin. Single carb or dual? :)

Measure Twice

Last edited:

oppanoia

Oct 20, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
My frame ,tank , and fork were sandblasted the other day. I did a little more prep work ( removing the lock from the puch forks was a pain in the a.. but worth it) . Then a few coats of primer. I know its a little premature but I'm trying to figure out paint schemes. This is the inspiration for the paint I will eventually end up with.

The carb intake is stainless tubing i had bent by a local boat railing shop. They will also bend the exhaust when I'm at that point. I fabricated the flanges out of steel plate. All my welding is done by a local guy as well.

Looking forward to Friday hopefully going to do mock up to fit the belts, cables, and controls.

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
North American TP-51C Mustang - The Collings Foundation

Another paint scheme of the P51 Mustang.

I went to the Moffet Field where around Memorial Day they had three active aircraft on tour. Wings of Freedom Tour of these old time aircraft. P51, only seen from distance in my picture from underneath the wing of B17 and also another craft the B24 Bombers which I did tour.... not take a flight on way too expensive yet for me!

I spoke with some people about the paint schemes and wondered why such a non-camouflaged look would be done on the fighter P51. That was only done near the end of the WW2 since they were so much faster than the enemies aircraft that it did not matter much I was told.

Maybe the silver color scheme you might choose.... actually am told is just the metal aluminum shined up ... not paint for silver color... and some red thin stripes on the tail, yellow thicker stripes on wing and the star band stripes blue and white on the wings.

Measure Twice

Attachments

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Silver and blue with red pinstripes, and blue wheels would look really cool i reckon..... Do you plan on just using the colors or using some of the writing and symbols on the plane? That would be cool. I saw a bicycle on ratrodbikes that was green like those planes in your picture and had a faux tank and he had a pinup girl decal on the tank, you know like they did on some of the fighter planes. and it looked really cool.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I saw I think the tank earlier on in the posts and I don't know if that is going to be repainted, but that has some small area to add graphics. I am adding covers for moving parts for safety and other covers that I could paint, but I have already thought of shine on the steel parts...? stainless steel maybe it is ?... and go at it with a drill and these small sanding disks for a psychedelic look.

7:49 to 7:54 on the timer for the 8:32 second slide show of this old time motorcycle pictures video on Youtube, shows one better than the pinup girl pic on the motorcycle.... no she is sitting on the motorcycle and does add have at least safety gear... goggles, hat, scarf, and shoes!

Though I think that a scarf left long may get in the hubs and wind up and that not safe, probably just for the still picture.

The picture before in the slide show is of an Indian 402 1930 with an inline 4 also looks nice too.

gunnasmc's Channel - YouTube GUNNASMC CHANNEL 1

Measure Twice

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thats a cool video Measurtwice, whats up with that guy jumping that bike at around 3:30..... no helmet? no landing ramp? Kinda makes Travis Pastranas double backflip seem tame lol

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The image is a little fuzzy but I think he is wear a beret though, so cool looking..... safe??? Those were the days!

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
nice looking build man!

i have an old 5 HP briggs i want to adapt to a bike

i like your yellow tank more than your red tank

sofar so good !