Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Having a machine shop does have advantages when ensuring concentricity of a rag joint mounted sprockets.
I turned a stepped, bored disk. The bored/drilled I.D. fit the axel. The minor O.D. piloted the dust cover pocket, and the major O.D. piloted the bore of the 31 tooth rag joint mounted sprocket. Wobble was about .010" T.I.R. . Concentricity was .005 T.I.R.
That was my first build. The 79cc Huffy Davidson late Winter 2016.

Attachments

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Comparing the Polaris sportsman 90 42mm crank to the china doll.... A machine shop should be able to turn down the shafts to accept the china case... The width is really close and diameter the Polaris rod would fit the china crank with a bigger hole for the pin 18mm set out 1mm to just catch the 16mm holes edge and about 1mm off the inside so there's 2 way to get around it... The crank is $50 and the P90 case reed 54mm cylinder is $250... A spacer plate and the case reed 110 case... I have everything but the machine shop sorted 50mm bolt spacing so the ld100 head works just needs the chamber and squish band cut to 54mm

Attachments

Last edited:

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Having a machine shop does have advantages when ensuring concentricity of a rag joint mounted sprockets.
I turned a stepped, bored disk. The bored/drilled I.D. fit the axel. The minor O.D. piloted the dust cover pocket, and the major O.D. piloted the bore of the 31 tooth rag joint mounted sprocket. Wobble was about .010" T.I.R. . Concentricity was .005 T.I.R.
That was my first build. The 79cc Huffy Davidson late Winter 2016.
I flattened out the dust cover and fit it over the sprocket crica 2012

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Machine shop... My broken tooth was fixed the other day with a CNC crown and 2 part epoxy... They used a device to shoot thousands of beams to map my teeth and it was really hi tech... Smoothed everything out with there fancy Dremel... I could think about was my head being ported and polished...

Attachments

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I was talking to a gun smith years ago and heard something odd, he said a dentist customer of his brought him dull dental drills, they were too dull for teeth but drilled steel fine.
There were 2 companies competing for who can make the smallest drill bit the American company sent there smallest one they could make to Japan and they sent it back with a hole down the middle...

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
This is my “shop”. I downsized quite a bit. Sold a bunch of stuff. Sold my big crappy toolbox and got a small one for free that I freshened up with servicing the old friction slides and bolted into my tool cart. Took them all out, repaired all the tabs, cleaned everything, radiused the corners. Now it is super smooth. Also changed a pair of wheels on the cart to some casters to support the extra weight. I like to have my fab tools within a 5 second reach. I no longer build for other people so I don’t need to have all my electric tools and supplies within a quick reach. I don’t have a 220v plug in garage but I spliced an extension with twist lock on the end of the dryer plug so I could connect quickly and without having to move stuff. Now I have just that cart and the belt/disc sander next to it. I sold my big steel table I used for fabrication, been trying to sell my frame jig, next up will be my chop saws. My welder is hidden behind the toolbox on the cart.

I really like to do a lot with nothing. I reorganized the box so I have wrenches, sockets, and small items in the three little drawers, then a drawer with daily tools, a drawer with not so daily tools, a drawer with grinding wheels, wire brushes, countersinks, ie general deburring. And the bottom drawer with daily hand tools such as grinder, impact, etc. my other box rests on top with all the machinist type stuff. Drills calipers specialty tools, and inch grade 8 and stainless bolts and nuts. And that’s it!

Attachments

Last edited: