Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Smoke from the Oregon and Washington fires are visiting British Columbia in my corner of the province along the Pacific Coast. Hanging there like a light sea fog amongst the trees and making breathing interesting for those of us with compromised breathing. The sky looks very overcast and I think that is because of the smoke.

Great to hear your relatively safe, Measure Twice. I say relatively because with wild fires that can change in a matter of hours. I think Canada has sent people and equipment down to help. The U.S. has sent people and equipment up here to help with our wild fires and other disasters over the years, many times.

Hope the foam cutter works out well. I'd be inclined to do it outside to give the smoke and smell a chance to dissipate and not in the house.

Steve.

Reactions: indian22 and EZL

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I know in composite experimental aircraft that hot wire sculpting structural foam is a go to method.
MT's method of sculpting compressible foam is one I would not considered to great a stink Steve points out.

Access to a band saw allows a alternative that I have had much experience with Knife edged band saw blades.
Nice for clean cuts and no shredded material and certainly no fumes. Won't deny the riskiness. Uncoiling a blade was usually accompanied with curled toes. Was the bee's knees on polyethylene foam UPS safe packaging for computer touch screen monitors back in 1997. Opra had one(^)
Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
A compound cut and stiff shaped wire cuts, maybe it could match my butt. Could that be comfortable. Maybe the memory foam, though I did not buy that kind. Anyway I'd just be happy to not have nerves firing off and muscles freeze up. Once one hand had such that I stopped driving even though other hand was doing the steering. Fingers not in control and index was like 90 degree from others bent and fierce pain.

Mentioning unpacking a blade for bandsaw, yikes. Just the foam compressed incy wincy / biggy wiggy like on the cartoons was something. Full metal jacket you might want. Ask the razor ribbon installers?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Went out after a while less smoke smell. Tried to avoid mosquitos. Once it was after sun set a while an cooled off more they were gone. It is ready to hook up wire and transformer and try out some test material. Historical facts: The angle bracket on the right was salvaged from 2015 Burning Man. The ashes cooled just some 3 days after it cooked, me an and some others picked through for souvenirs. On the left two angle brackets are connected together with the darker flat metal piece also from parts in the ashes.
IMG_20200914_210227507.jpg

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Last ride of 2020 today I expect 72F. Well maybe not, but last year we had 10" of snow on the ground same day.
Huffy needs new engine mount. The BBR piece of cr#p needs to go away and make the Huffy Davidson a daily runner.
Got the heat at 60F in the shop and there it will stay. Leather gloves handling the machinery and also when I split kindling for the home wood stove.
Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
My niece and her Dr. husband moved to Atlanta, right at the head of hurricane season. Got a son in Moyock, NC, and he might be the only resident of the State that owns a snow thrower. Once a Northerner always a Northerner. :D
Tom
I remember the company I worked for 20 years ago hired a new maintenance manager that moved here from Boston in the fall, around March the next year he called me to his office and asked me when it usually snowed. I told him that the dusting we had in January and February was probably all we would get, he then called his brother in Boston and told him to sell both of the snow blowers he had left at their moms house because he was never going to need them anymore!

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I tell ya, Sunday before sundown, I grilled Newyork strip steaks ambient was 72F.
Came home from Milwaukee after Mona's med tests and it was 75 F. Gulf Stream we don't get this tine of year.
This time last year we had 10 inches of snow on the ground. Weather was so nice, but liming pines was a need to do.
Fun while it lasted. Wood shed is full. A wife who loves me. I can take Winter.
Tom

carburetor al

Jun 14, 2020
I tell ya, Sunday before sundown, I grilled Newyork strip steaks ambient was 72F.
Came home from Milwaukee after Mona's med tests and it was 75 F. Gulf Stream we don't get this tine of year.
This time last year we had 10 inches of snow on the ground. Weather was so nice, but liming pines was a need to do.
Fun while it lasted. Wood shed is full. A wife who loves me. I can take Winter.
Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Is this a heavy-duty rail bike! (^) What a find and keep it original it is a museum piece and thanks!
Dennis
That is what it looks like. I once went into a mining cave part of a commercial park. It was summer and ice was still covering a few inches of track with the rail cars left there for visitors. Tourist Trap Town. No lights in the mine and bring your own flash light at your own risk. Seemed like 50ft down a ladder from inside first section of cave where there was light.

Last edited: