Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
LOL, my dad never was much to work at home, wood maybe more. He worked at the Northern Pacific Rail way, seems like if he needed anything done it was done over there. So when I started all there was was a brace & Bit for a drill and files for grinding, along with a good old hack saw. I was about 14 when I built a mini bike afire, dad brought home some precut steel parts, but the rest was done with had tools, from there I went on to build a go-kart another mini bike, motor bike, actually I bought a Monark twin motor bike first and when the motor failed, then I built one. No welder so it was my uncle first then I found out a neighbor down the street had one, so I paid him to do some. Then it was slowly get used stuff Gas welder for one uncle, took a year to pay him as I was married then. Seems like it took for ever to get some. Just a couple years ago I bought a really good drill press at a friends sale that passed away. NOW It is time to go the other way and give my sons what I will not use anymore, LOL such is life...........Curt

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
That gives me a good idea and yes I plan to weld. I want to do tig.
TIG requires just about as much hand /eye coordination as stick. TIG needs a inert gas shield.
110V TIGs are not hard to come by. I have one on my weld cart. Most national hardware stores support amateur welding supply needs. Flux core wire MIG's are easier for the beginner. Taking a Junior College weld class is worth the tuition and then some.

Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Figure out how they are getting in, they can flatten themselves out and get in a 1/8" gap, do some google work and and find ways to get rid of them. I always use rat poison, and still have the bait out in town here...............Curt

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Figure out how they are getting in, they can flatten themselves out and get in a 1/8" gap, do some google work and and find ways to get rid of them. I always use rat poison, and still have the bait out in town here...............Curt
I always heard that where a mouse's head could go the rest would follow. Mouse trouble in the shop stopped when the new entry door was installed two+ years ago. But the chit remains. I know I gotta clean up, but maid service is hard to come by.

Tom

Reactions: fasteddy

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I always heard that where a mouse's head could go the rest would follow. Mouse trouble in the shop stopped when the new entry door was installed two+ years ago. But the chit remains. I know I gotta clean up, but maid service is hard to come by.

Tom
Yep same thing, I built a small shed up at the lake place, because when they put in the gas line I had to have a structure to put the meatier by, 1/8" gap under the door, then my was snooping and found out that the can actually flatten there head out. What I did was add a door stop at the bottom, it closed the gap and stopped the messes........Curt

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Something that never got done last Winter season was do a proper closure of the East face of my new wood shed. The center opening was sized for a screen door discard from a home improvement project.
I just cut down the door to 70" and salvaged the top frame section. Rejoining the door frame pieces in a craftsman like fashion is the goal.
Enter a Stanley No. 59 drill jig.
It will be my first time using one. There are a couple you-tubes which I watched.
How To: Stanley No.59 Dowelling Jig - YouTube

Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep a good old one, then there is the new modern one.
Any more I use the Kreg pocket hole jig for most, I built my kitchen cupboards with one, no glue, glad because I had to take part apart to make some changes.
there is several different modals, most big box stores have them now........Curt

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Curt, I was searching for Robertson screws of the proper length in my workshop counter drawers because they are my favorite.
But the only 3" framing and deck screws I have in stock are Torx drive.
Good enough for a wood shed door. :) Sugar fine wet snow came today from WSW. Shed was dry.
Winter is beginning.

Tom

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom, the reason that Phillips screws are so popular is because of Henry Ford. Ford wanted to use Robertson screws in his cars wood body frames but only if Mr. Robertson sold him the patent for the screws. It seems Mr. Ford was a control freak and he wanted it all. Mr. Robertson told him no and Mr Phillips was all to willing to let him have it all.

If you need Robertson screws let me know how many and the size. I'm headed up to Home Depot Tuesday and I'll have them in the mail Wednesday.

Steve

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Ball end Std & Metric long allen wrench set added to the collection. Still like the shorter no-ball end in the fold out Std & Metric for quick access to using them when working on stuff.

Stuff being, doing the valve adjustment that requires taking the engine off the bike and removing the valves to grind valve stem tip a bit. This compensates for the seat smashing in, by the valve after 6 years of use.

I did this last time the engine was out of mechanical timing. Valve lash was nonexistent. I would have hot weather make the engine not able to restart. The paper air filter fowled with fuel spit at it. Yea, wrong way newton.

Piston moving up during compression and intake valve not closed soon enough is not good. Less compression and fuel exits across fuel jet in carb and venturi effect is just as good wetting air filter as putting some in the fuel air mix in cylinder.

FYI, Wrong Way Newton actually was this guy that had engine mounts break on his vehicle and went from out on Long Island New York and then to Manhattan and then to the New Jersey side of the Holland Tunnel.

He got past the toll booth I guess throwing the change in a machine, but got caught by police on exiting into New Jersey. I suppose he had to reach over to the passenger window if driving backward.

Also, back in New York near Long Island, my father had done not quite the same distance driving home and not opting for tow service back in the 70’s. He must have done maybe 20 miles at most using side streets only. He did not get stopped as I remember.

I tried to find out about only reverse available to use when motor mounts broken. Also, about this amazing drive backwards of like over a hundred miles. Nothing even about motor mounts with limiting to just reverse?

Anyway that guy must know how to use mirrors well. His neck was probably very sore if kept twisted all the time, so maybe mirrors did most of the navigating?

The rusted exhaust pipe I made for my motor bike with cast iron water pipe parts needed lots of penetrating fluid. Messed up my hand using a channel lock pliers. Vise Grip was a bit hard to fit without taking more stuff off. My hand is a lot better now.

The long Allen wrenches also had me use the pliers on the end to get into tight spaces. Yea probably voids warranty, be eh! I was so amazed when the union-coupling loosened up with vise grip and a huge adjustable wrench.

Next time wait for the penetrating fluid to do its job, else 5hrs work. I mean if it would have been just half that time, I would be happy.

Going to look for gaskets, which most I have except head gasket. Probably over internet mail order will be the way. The engine is Briggs from the 80’s era, so shops may not have it in my local dinky town.
View attachment 114630 View attachment 114631
It occurred to me that the full usefulness of the color-coded Allen wrench set, needs that you have standard and metric color-coded sets, and are working on something that may have either or both standard or metric sizes.

No, I did not read this anywhere, but it hit me when as I always do when checking if it will be possible to round off a set screw head due to too loose a fit.

I usually get a size that seems good so not to round the surfaces, but think if it could be better still. Then at last resort, I think if maybe it is the other (metric or standard).

With the large set I have that is color coded the colors repeat themselves maybe twice or thrice, such a word?

So, you go to the size you match quite quickly with the colors helping. You don’t really have a problem that the colors repeat at least twice. The difference in that much size is noticeable that it isn’t a problem and help speed narrowing down the zoning in.

I had become good in sorting nylon threaded fasteners at work. Also, at college when knowing thread size quickly in the metal fabrication shop.

The time at work when having to move a work bench, that another person has rested the nylon assortment set of hardware, quite squarely between two benches attached top shelves had made the term practice makes perfect a reality.

I thought that just buying a new set would make more sense that requiring me to sort hundreds of this stuff, but maybe that was not really a care?

As for the valve job on the Briggs Engine, I had other stuff to do and it sits. Now it is quite $(($)* cold, so will just say later for that.

The removal of my truck shell, I have come up with a way to remove the shell with a hoist. I upgraded to a better 4:1 block and pulley system.

No nylon pulley parts, just steel. There is not even really a block. It is just four pulley. The help at the local hardware store showed how to replace a longer pin and cotter clip so you have two ganged together. Then the rest is the same.

Two saw horses and some 2 by 4 lumber to slip under shell once lifted slightly. Yea, after removing 3rd brake light wires and clamps. Can lower down on lumber and saw horses temporarily.

Drive pickup truck away. Clean all surfaces. Have the new water proof weather seal tape. Attach to truck rails new seal. Lower shell.

Caulking stuff is just not going to fix with all the old stuff existing. Some squished to smithereens. Some is slipped out altogether.

When rain is clear for long enough time to get this done and maybe warm enough day. Nor Cal wimp?

Still would like to go outdoor ice skating on frozen lakes. Find up at 7000ft just into Oregon this is a reality. Just don’t go without a vehicle that can manage it. Oh, an no shoveling snow, mush be already clear. No Zamboni up air!

MT

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
"It occurred to me that the full usefulness of the color-coded Allen wrench set, needs that you have standard and metric color-coded sets, and are working on something that may have either or both standard or metric sizes."

Color coded allen wrenches until there are color coded screws is superfluous.
A single color ID to differentiate metric from english would be useful.

Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
"It occurred to me that the full usefulness of the color-coded Allen wrench set, needs that you have standard and metric color-coded sets, and are working on something that may have either or both standard or metric sizes."

Color coded allen wrenches until there are color coded screws is superfluous.
A single color ID to differentiate metric from english would be useful.

Tom
Most important the sets I bought I can put a lot of stress on them and they don't break. Maybe one day a single Allen wrench will just miraculously change to the size you need on the spot.

I saw my StarLink Panel Antenna was doing this self-adjustment as it sensed a better aim to satellites. The wooring sound I heard as I was walking away and turned to see it craning around and back and forth. I was thinking the adjustment was sort of static with the use of phase array antenna where it turns on an off many series of little antennas to do the job. Was I surprised!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
What brand Metric and English Allen wrenches do you use MT?
My last post I was half drunk. My use of Allen Wrenches', span 50+years.
Bondhus and Eklund brands. Bolts and screws will never color code in my lifetime.

ICON SAE Color Coded L-Shape Ball End Hex Key Set, 13 Piece

OPTION for Metric or Standard are the two choices

I bought them both

says life time guarantee .... I suppose you have to not loose the wrenches though, I now always put them back in the holder when done using

says also High Torque S2 Steel

I did once try to get warranty of some other screw driver tips for the multi tip socket type, and the Sear Craftsman required the broken off piece of the Philips head that I did not keep when it broke. Was not a big deal, just buy some more tips. The handle and all still worked. Leatherman though did not balk at all when same thing happened and they only required I pay shipping from CA to OR. They sent me a brand new, newer and similar tool to the Wave I had. It was I think just under the 25 years rule. Maybe 24 years and they replaced it. They paid the shipping back to me. Nice!