Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Dennis
If you would please can the Marxist remarks. A thread can wonder as it is a party line conversation and so far a little bit about machining motorized bicycle parts, but politics have no place on this thread. Rick was kind enough to recommend some great books about Jack Abernathy and two of his sons, in the book Bud and Me his boys made a long distance ride on an Indian motorcycle.
I have been there in the Tavern where folk vent their unhappiness. I read enough on another forum.
Right now it is time for me to flesh out another thread I started about my SF80 build most of which is in this thread as Monday I finally got some seat time after all the dinking around it took to make things right.
DSCN0903.JPG

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Dennis
If you would please can the Marxist remarks. A thread can wonder as it is a party line conversation and so far a little bit about machining motorized bicycle parts, but politics have no place on this thread. Rick was kind enough to recommend some great books about Jack Abernathy and two of his sons, in the book Bud and Me his boys made a long distance ride on an Indian motorcycle.
I have been there in the Tavern where folk vent their unhappiness. I read enough on another forum.
Right now it is time for me to flesh out another thread I started about my SF80 build most of which is in this thread as Monday I finally got some seat time after all the dinking around it took to make things right.
View attachment 102476
Tom I'm going to jump in here and deflect some responsibility to myself because I've also let my political views slip into several posts and I really know better than to discuss politics or religion in open forums, that should be reserved for private messages between individual (or not at all), and which are bound to offend others at some point.

So I'm so sorry for using poor judgement & introducing controversial material in this thread and others. I hope we're all good now and get back just entertaining tavern talk. Me I'm a root beer guy, real lightweight!

Rick C.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Tom I'm going to jump in here and deflect some responsibility to myself because I've also let my political views slip into several posts and I really know better than to discuss politics or religion in open forums, that should be reserved for private messages between individual (or not at all), and which are bound to offend others at some point.

So I'm so sorry for using poor judgement & introducing controversial material in this thread and others. I hope we're all good now and get back just entertaining tavern talk. Me I'm a root beer guy, real lightweight!

Rick C.
LOL! I drank enough to float a battle ship in early days, found it a waist of time, and money. nothing but pop for a good many years now. It does not make you a lightweight, just a little wiser...........Curt

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Dear Curt,
You got the coldest Indian Summer I ever heard of.
The way things are here when a killing frost does come it will be too late this year.
Won't get in the machineshop any time soon unless I can get some high school kids to help me get two cords of nice "dry" as in stored in a pole shed wood in my wood shed. The Mrs. come up unwell this week so won't be able to help. Mona is 4 1/2 years older than me but has pulled hard in the traces for many years. I guess she needs a year off. Mona wanted it warm in our lower level family room / second kitchen to watch TV so I lit some of the newly dropped wood in the woodstove. It is making heat real well.
Last years wood was so wet and heavy though seasoned two years. the last spring, late summer, and fall were wet too. Wood so tough is was hard work busting kindling.
I got a froe blacksmith made in Oregon at the turn of the twentieth century. The blade is about 16" and I expect was originally for riving cedar shingles. The wood two years ago especially wild cherry made some of the best kindling ever. Split fine and caught like gas with a little fat wood. Will update tomorrow.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin

Rick C.
All is right Rick, I just needed to differentiate this place in the Tavern. There is a sailboat forum I have participated in that has a Bilge like this Tavern for off topic discussion.
Good thing I said machine shop in my last post.
I know southern politics pretty well as my youngest step-son Joe after college in Springfield, got a job working for the Speaker of the House there. That said, thank-you Rick. Everybody is here because we in this Motor Bicycling thing together, and I hope the goals are encouragement, enlightenment , and pleasure of this sport transportation.
Dennis, please forgive my yanking your chain. I never was good at being nice as I am a curmudgeon.
Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Nice photo Tom. The book gives a little insight into their family, but I'd like to point out there's much to be understood between the lines. Though this became a story that mesmerized the world of that day it wasn't begun as a media stunt for fame or glory. This was a family of substance and conviction; money wasn't what drove the father to "use" his kids for fame, glory and rewards. Though all these were a result of their adventures. Like many that had taken west to find opportunity and a better life the Abernathy's had flourished in Oklahoma "Indian" territory through hard work, ingenuity and real "grit". as had those who came to each of the western territories Montana, Arizona, New Mexico etc. as they opened up. These two boys were raised and encouraged to be special and that's just what they became. There was a saying in my family growing up, "Men and boys shouldn't be found indoors during the day". This was 1950's carryover of frontier wisdom that had men outdoors working and on alert for danger at all times, watching horizons and surroundings constantly. It was a reality based existence of work to eat and fight to survive that was drilled into boys and girls as they grew up. The Abernathy boys adventures reveal this thinking in the books few pages, but this wasn't a story to them it was their life and it was a good one by all accounts.

Hope you that read these posts and those who take time to read the two books in combination enjoy the true adventures of this father and his two resourceful son's.

Rick C.

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Dennis
View attachment 102476
Good build, put some miles on it! (^)

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
LOL! I drank enough to float a battle ship in early days, found it a waist of time, and money. nothing but pop for a good many years now. It does not make you a lightweight, just a little wiser...........Curt
Got a little time on here since we are busy with the work outside. I gave up drinking any kind of
pop years ago and would have a beer once in awhile. A friend of mine got hooked on Diet Pepsi
and I left a note plus medical references about the health hazards of it. His wife put the kibosh on
it but he still is on Pepsi too much and has had a health problems along with high blood pressure.
Moderation is the secret.
Dennis

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Good build, put some miles on it! (^)
Weather got more mild than I expected today Dennis, so after my buddy Steve Salick parked his Boston Whaler Cohasset and we covered it for the winter and I wasn't in the mood to stack wood. So I opened the shop, rolled out the Sportsman Flyer and rode around town and then I hit one bump too many and the darn saddle spun a notch backward making for an awkward seating and I was only a half mile from home and I should have readjusted the saddle and did some more riding but Mona asked if I was going to mow some of the yard to tidy up the place in case I suppose maybe the President would come calling.
Well I mowed and nobody showed, I'll get over it someday maybe but is all about SWMBO, and Mona is happy.
I'm glad I took my ride today, Last for 2019 I'm sure.
Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Weather got more mild than I expected today Dennis, so after my buddy Steve Salick parked his Boston Whaler Cohasset and we covered it for the winter and I wasn't in the mood to stack wood. So I opened the shop, rolled out the Sportsman Flyer and rode around town and then I hit one bump too many and the darn saddle spun a notch backward making for an awkward seating and I was only a half mile from home and I should have readjusted the saddle and did some more riding but Mona asked if I was going to mow some of the yard to tidy up the place in case I suppose maybe the President would come calling.
Well I mowed and nobody showed, I'll get over it someday maybe but is all about SWMBO, and Mona is happy.
Tom
WO! We had 60 degrees the last couple days, you may get some of that. I don't fold untill deer session.............Curt

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Tom
We had some mild weather but it had high winds so wouldn't be good for riding in since the chill factor is there.
I went into town to the Dollar Store this morning and it was a chilly ride couldn't get everything I needed to get
and might go back in for some lawn tractor gas just to try to get some more hours of riding. There are still fields
not combined and it's getting real late in the season.
Dennis

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Well I took your encouragement Curt, after a late breakfast at the Route 67 Diner in Lomira, WI and needing to get over to West Bend for dog food at Fleet&Farm. I drove the scenic route to our destination through some of the best of Wisconsin's Kettle Moraine.
Got back home, the temp. was 66F so I rolled out the Flyer. Reset the pitch of the Brookes 190 saddle and tightened the seat clamp bolts. Off and running on a fall afternoon and the bike was running fine. Then one bump too many the darn saddle slipped / tipped again ! Quick trip to the shop reset the saddle pitch and retightened the clamp bolt nuts again as strenuously as I dared.
Off again as Mona wanted to photo my sporting my Brando riding cap. So I did some slow passes for her and I am still having fun as this Flyer is a joy to ride so I took off riding around our little Burg enjoying the thrill and then passed over another bump and the seat shifted / tilted back again.
The Brookes 190 saddle is as close as you can get to what an early motorcycle was fitted with. Shortly after I acquired the 190 complaints started to come forward about Brookes saddles stating clamp failure in pitch control.
I suspect the stamped steel seat frame clamps and the through clamp bolt too. "Read cheap"
New seat frame clamps will have to be made of 4140 prehard and grade 8 bolt and fasteners.
The only other thing that saddle nose from wanting to climb skyward is a top tube clamp to tether the nose of the saddle via the torsion spring.
It was a glorious day for a ride.
Loading the wood shed is next as weather dictates.
My Huffy needs some love too. I have all the material to fabricate a proper engine mount and upgrade with a
Q matic trans sitting in a box.
Tom

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Tom
I hear ya on those darn saddles! I've got that Walmart Schwinn seat wanting to rotate and I think it is that
clamp for the rack which I changed around. I wanted to drop the seat about 2 inches since the suspension
tube raises the seat. I guess I'll put it back the way I use to have it since that can be dangerous if a saddle
moves or changes pitch on you while riding it.

Next year I think I'm going to buy a trailer for that bike to get the weight off of it and to haul more things.
A trailer sure would be handy for going fishing and getting gallons+ of gas for the lawn tractor next year.

I got that mount in for the IGSports GPS speedometer and for the price it looks like a good quality mount
for the handlebar on the bike. Get all of the riding in you can because the weather is about to go into the
dumps for the season.
Dennis