Bicycle Motor

GoldenMotor.com

Which would you choose if price was the same?

• 2 stroke bicycle engine kit

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • 4 stroke bicycle engine kit

Votes: 46 60.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
if you were able to buy a 4 or 2 stroke bicycle engine kit for the exact same amount of money which would you choose. again this is if the price were the same for a 2 stroke bicycle motor or 4 stroke bicycle motor. after you take the poll please give a reason for your answer. after you vote you will be able to see all the pole answers. thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i would choose the 4 stroke bicycle motor because i do not like mixing gas. the ease of pulling up to the gas pump and filling up is very appealing to me. also the people i have talked to that have 4 strokes say they are pretty much maintenance free

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would choose the 4 stroke for a couple of reasons....I like the way they sound, and like you said, just pull up to the pump and gas up.....would make long trips a LOT easier.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I love mixing fuel and oil, I can't stand the weight of a 4-stroke - ie the power to weight of a well tuned 2 stroke is just so much better. Easy to work on, no valve train to worry about.

I suppose you can put smelly stuff in your 4-stroke gas, but what's the fun in that?

Last edited:

Can Harm Hen

Mar 1, 2008
Davis, California
I wish there was a two stroke with oil injection. Mixing the gas can become really messy sometimes.

Also, idling a two stroke at a stoplight smells really bad.

cruiser66

Mar 4, 2008
Westport, MA
I would choose a 4 stroke. They have less mechanical problems like broken and sheared bolts due to excessive vibration. Much less maintenance required. They are better for the environment and do not smoke or smell. They run smoother, quieter, and get better gas mileage. The pull start is much more convenient to use rather than peddling to start. 4 strokes also have their own cooling systems so overheating isn't a problem. The carbs don't require any adjustments and, of course, no oil and gas mixtures to keep adjusting for optimum performance. They are not prone to the wristpin and bearing problems that 2 strokes have.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It is all fun to me. It's like back when I smoked cigarettes, there was no part of smoking I didn't like. I loved the feel of the pack, the shaking out a cigarette from the pack ritual, then the flicking of the lighter. The smell of the burning tobacco. I loved all of it.

It's the same with the two stroke, from the mixing of the gas and oil to the feel of it come to live as I pedal it. I love every part of it. I would not be the same with a four stroke, probably things about them are just as nice but I love the ritual as well.

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I choose the 2 stroke because of the looks. I like the almost miniature look of the 2 stroke and the placement of the motor.

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
i like the 4 stroke b'cause i am familiar with the way it works on my lawnmower. it's very forgiving and sturdy and it idles slow and smooth. also i like to be able to start the motor without moving the bike. i just wish that it fit and looked cool like the 2 stroke

TwoWalks

Jul 13, 2008
Sonora Ca.
The question was based only on cost, for that reason I chose the 2 stroke. When comparing 2 strokes and 4 strokes of equal price, you can buy a race ready 2 stroke that is far superior to the china motor and it would have it all over the normal 4 strokes for lawn mowers. I have been mixing gas/oil for years and still do every week for my ultralight so that is normal. For distance, I just carry an extra 1/2 gallon or more. When there is a quality time tested frame mounted 4 stroke, then I will change my thinking.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I voted for 4 stroke. If costs were equal, I would rather have an in-frame 4-stroke kit. Mostly because I'd rather not have to mix oil and gas. Also they're cleaner burning, smell less, etc. Granted it's a tough choice seeing as the 2 strokes are more powerful.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
It depends Cruiser if we're talking about any 2 cycle motor. If it a chinese motor vs. a titan. Hands down it would have to be the 4 stroker. However if we're talking about my motor vs. the Titan then hands down I'm picking my 2 stroker. I love the fact that I can rev the living daylights out of my motor and not worrying about it. Plus the power can't be beat for my 50cc motor and up grades are available. I.E. 9.8hp cylinder, carbon fiber reeds and stiffer clutch springs.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
It depends Cruiser if we're talking about any 2 cycle motor. If it a chinese motor vs. a titan. Hands down it would have to be the 4 stroker. However if we're talking about my motor vs. the Titan then hands down I'm picking my 2 stroker. I love the fact that I can rev the living daylights out of my motor and not worrying about it. Plus the power can't be beat for my 50cc motor and up grades are available. I.E. 9.8hp cylinder, carbon fiber reeds and stiffer clutch springs.
You have a point there. Wait...your motor is only 50cc? Dang.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The question was based only on cost, for that reason I chose the 2 stroke. When comparing 2 strokes and 4 strokes of equal price, you can buy a race ready 2 stroke that is far superior to the china motor and it would have it all over the normal 4 strokes for lawn mowers. I have been mixing gas/oil for years and still do every week for my ultralight so that is normal. For distance, I just carry an extra 1/2 gallon or more. When there is a quality time tested frame mounted 4 stroke, then I will change my thinking.
Hello TwoWalks :) Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us :D
:ride2:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
down here it is a matter of reliability for me. the 4 stroke titan i have not had to do a thing to and i ride every day. i get up to 36mph on it but ussually cruise at about 29 to 30 mph which is plenty quick with the roads here. i have to say i do miss not having any extra's i can add to it. i look forward to new items to hop it up a little when they become available. for now i ride it stock with a 40 tooth sprocket and love it.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
While both types have their own advantages and drawbacks, I like the 4 stroke. My Whizzer is so American;relatively heavy, loud and inefficient. My Puch 2 stroke moped is smaller, quieter and has a more "modern" look, even if some say it looks gay. The Whizzer and the electric Ford Thinkbike are all that's currently running though. So 4 stroke it is!