Best overall 66 cc carb?

GoldenMotor.com

Mercman

Dec 27, 2011
Central VT
Probably a repeat question, but since there are at least 4 units readily available, which unit is favored for tunabilty for all applications?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The NT is the most beloved. The CNS is the least loved.

Every seems to like their DAX RT, and think it was an improvment over a NT or CNS.

I'm running a Speed carb, and I like it a little better than a NT, but the difference isn't earth shaking.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I've read good things about Dax new carb
... I'm thinking of getting one as soon as I have to replace my current air cleaner.

BTW does anyone know how every so often I should change my filter?

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
The Dax RT carb comes with what you need to get started. It has an aftermarket air filter already installed, and it comes with 3 different jets for tuning (#70, #75, #80). They no longer come with the "10cm draw" throttle cable that he claims is the only throttle cable that will work with it. Just swap the cable feed (hollow bolt) on the top of the carb and use the throttle cable you currently have. The RT is great for performance and reliability. If your going for simplicity and spot on tuning the you can beat the NT or speed carb which are basically the same.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
NT & 'speed' carbs are pretty much the same... The speed has a larger inside diameter but I hate the the banjo bolt & shut off valve on the side.
Some of the fastest MBs i've ever seen use NT carbs that have been re-jetted.
I also really like the Dax 'RT' carbs, but they too have to be jetted a little smaller to work well with HT engines.

I've never had good luck tuning CNS carbs. :(

Chrisflik

Apr 2, 2011
California
I'm rockin' the Dax Carb. It's a Dellorto knock off. And runs awesome.
Way more reliable. And powerfull...
Big things come out of small packages... Well that's what my girl says anyways..
I'm in the mid 60 range of my jets.. Jets.. Not M.P.H.
If that helps. Sea level..
Opinion - Stock carb. can be cool with the right jet and needle position.
Speed Carb was my favorite.. I think a 72 jet??
CNS Gen 1 & 2.. Sits in the metal pile.. Could never get it right..
All over the board. Jet.. Needle.. Lame.. way too much time wasted fiddling and not riding. Getin' stuck in gangland.... Lame I tell Ya....
DAX carb best by far!!!!!!!!!

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Take Rustycase's advice, go with the VM16-516 Mikuni. I paid $88 Australian for mine, jets are $6-60, main & pilot. Its a really well built carb, O-ringed everywhere, brass float & is infinitely adjustable, from idle thru to wide open, even needles with different tapers are availabe as well as slides with different size cutaway to ensure low & high speed delivey stays in sync under different jetting conditions. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
I went mikuni as I always had good expeareance with them in the past with dirt bikes. I did consider dellorto as everyone says good things about them, so checked out their web page. I think if I went dellorto I'd pay the extra few bucks & get a PHBG. It just seem like its a better carb than the SHA, but thats not from expeareance, just from reading up. Cheers

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
I'm using the dellorto SHA 16-16 a very good carburetor . Good low and mid range pulls great to top end . This is on a mildly modified 66 cc Jet , pipe , ports cleaned up and piston shaped . It's worth the money , easy to tune . Hope this helps . Dan

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Im also using a dellorto. sha 15.15, great carb! Really smooth low and middle, awesome high end. I have it jetted to 68, but I want to downjet to 66-67. Right now I have an air leak though:(. It takes a lot more pull to open up the carb than the stock nt. All and all its a really good, high quality upgrade.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
why all the cns hate ! lol

i love the cns v3 carb, its a bit larger than the speed or nt and even bigger than the dellorto sha but you have full adjustability over all the jets and thats why its haed for some to tune .. you need to first set the air idle and idle screw then swap the pilot jet it is a bit too small with good porting then adjust the needle position and then the main jet and you should be golden , if you get a flat spot at 1/2 throttle but the needle seems right you can grind the cut away larger on the round slide a little at a tgime till the flat spot is gone.

i dont actualy use the cns v3 that comes with the kit or is sold online but i use the actual yamaha aftermarket dirtbike carb witch is what the cns is a copy of, it quite a bit more expencive but well worth it because the quality is night and day in differance.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I went CNS3 --> NT Speed --> NT on a 66cc

I prefer the NT, it's cheap, simple, responsive, reliable, and the most fuel-efficient.