Bairdco Racing Series Begins June 16 in Riverside!

GoldenMotor.com

PistonBike Rob

Jun 19, 2010
Santa Susana
Thanks Baird for putting on a great event. I think everyone had a excellent time. I wish the Amazing Baird bike could have held on a little longer, it was fast all day, love the bike Baird.

*The highlight of the day had to be the 2nd heat for the 2 strokes, 4 bikes battling for 2nd place. The best racing action so far.*

Would like to thank Dave Rust and his crew for always bringing the fast bikes and raising the bar. If your bikes would have lasted for just a couple laps more you would have won.

Thanks to Kevin for pedaling his butt off and bringing another first place finish for PistonBikes. By far the coolest trophy ever, not sure who made it but would like to thank them too.

Can't wait for the next race. Will post pics and vids soon

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
Wow what a heck of a race. The heat 2 the 4 stroke thumpers was an awesome race!! 1st place iceman followed 1 bike length placed second was his dad CCC, And CCC got me by 1/2 bike length!! Nothing like having the top 4 racers all 1 bike length apart batteling for 4-6 laps!!(iceman, CCC, flying Dutchman, scotto). Seriously not bad for my first race this year, I can't wait until my body is 100% healed to see what I can do.

Thanks Bairdco for putting on the event, Adams race track for having us. Nice to see old friends and making new one.

Oh also the main was fun and unexpected , hey Scotto who was that that came from nowhere, shoot its headtrama!! It was fun, great respectful racing. See everyone next time.

Last edited:

nostyle

Nov 27, 2009
Cambodia Town
Man, what a day it was! Thank you Baird! We had a super fun and relaxing time. It was nice to be on a different track. The s curves was fun and l really dug the bank! Boy, do I have to step it up... inspired to go faster...

It was fun hanging out with everyone too. (wishI got there sooner...)
Looking forward to the next race!

Thanks again Baird and co!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
here's what i thought about the race...

from a financial standpoint, it was a disaster. not as bad as my last race in the rain, but i basically paid for half the track rental outta my own pocket. that sucks, but i'm not gonna cry about it. it's only money, i'll just make more...:)

the races were awesome. we had just about all the hardcore guys involved. from start to finish in every heat, every final, and even during practice, everyone was going all out. no sandbagging, no cruising, just flat-out racing, whether it was for a trophy, grudge match, or for fun.

the racing was top notch, and there were as many battles for 1st and 2nd as there was for 2nd to last. seemed like everyone had someone to race against. everyone pushed themselves and their bikes to the limit, and a lot of us went over those limits and paid the price, either in flesh or in broken metal.

the track was fast and grippy. easy to hold a line, but really difficult to pass in the corners. i know there were plenty of times i was stuck behind someone, holding back from bumping their rear tire, waiting for the straights to see who's gonna make it to the next corner first.

we can change up the chicanes and the curves next time. i'm thinking take out the S turns in the eastern corner. that'll leave a long sweeper that'll give some room for some interesting pass oppurtunities.

that's another cool thing about that track. there's a lot of different variations that can be made just by blocking off certain areas. i'm hoping to be able to get out there a few times before my september 15th race to try out some different course options.

here's what i didn't like about the track...

i was under the impression that the open gokart practice would be off the track and outta there by 2pm, not snaking in some final laps, then taking 2 hours to load up and get out of the lower pits.

i also didn't like the attitude some of those gokart guys had, when i politely informed them that the track's ours at 2pm, and if they'd please do their best to clear the area as soon as possible.

then, when our races ended at 10pm (exactly. the last bike in the ultimate class rolled off the track at precisely 10pm.) we had 20 or 30 minutes before the lights were shut off, and we had to load up everything in total darkness.

i understand we've only got the track till 10pm, but it woulda been nice if we had another half hour of lights.

the track lighting wasn't that great, either. there are some pretty dim spots, and some that are blacked out completely.

hopefully i can resolve some of these issues for the september race.

also, if any of you have any ideas, suggestions, comments, criticisms, or whatever, send me a message or post it on the forum for discussion. i'm not doing these races to make money (although it would be nice to break even ;),) i'm doing it 'cause i love to race.

there were a few regrettable moments. most notable, after someone went offroading out of the Big Monza turn and covered the track with sand, Jim Rust thought he was signalled off the track by the guys who jumped out to clean it off. sorry about that Jim, I didn't have any control over that. i talked to those guys after and they didn't tell you to get off the track, just trying to warn you about the sand. they were spectators, and not "official volunteers."

to sum it all up, i think everyone had a great time. seemed like you could feel all the excitement and positive vibes coming out of everyone there, and i really appreciate you guys coming out. in my opinion, it was the best racing this sport's seen since it started.

thanks, everyone!

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Wow what a heck of a race. The heat 2 the 4 stroke thumpers was an awesome race!! 1st place iceman followed 1 bike length placed second was his dad CCC, And CCC got me by 1/2 bike length!! Nothing like having the top 4 racers all 1 bike length apart batteling for 4-6 laps!!(iceman, CCC, flying Dutchman, scotto). Seriously not bad for my first race this year, I can't wait until my body is 100% healed to see what I can do.

Thanks Bairdco for putting on the event, Adams race track for having us. Nice to see old friends and making new one.

Oh also the main was fun and unexpected , hey Scotto who was that that came from nowhere, shoot its headtrama!! It was fun, great respectful racing. See everyone next time.
Lol it was fun racing the four stroke , I didn't really plan on racing the whole race I was just going to do two laps . But I was really having fun out there running with you guys .

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
Baird, that was a great event you put on! I wish I could post a pic of my wheel, er, taco! lol As you said, all in all, it was a good day of racing.

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
After a 20hr day, thanks to:

Nick? Adams staffer who kept me in cold drinks,
MBR who drove some there and back,
the volunteers who scored finishing orders,
Scotto for being of good nature,
folks that hauled stuff over to my car afterwards,
NoStyle who diced it out with me taking Heat1 by inches, (short vid somewhere)
Baird, for offerring us another venue.

Only 4 of us lined up for the Street Cruisers <50cc class though I talked with 4 others who left their bikes at home and showed up just to check things out. But then NoStyle's 49cc ChinaGirl and I were evenly matched. If I pedaled that gave me the edge, motor wise, he had it. Dave(Etard) has a short vid of our tight finish over on the ES forum. But, by the final race, the DNF's took their toll, what the heck Buba, out of gas? Gonna rib you for that next race.

Lined up behind the spiffy 2strokes for the main. I gave it all I had but only passed 1 66ccChinaGirl going into turn 1. The leaders pulled away and lapped me after the halfway point. Spent 10 laps fending off whoever was just behind, I only saw his side and more frequently, his front wheel! Whoever it was I think DNFed late and I pushed on sensing another right there wanting to lap me. I relived my 3rd childhood those 15 minutes. (ahhhh, Venice Biker #68? "After a dozen laps of not being able to safely pass you, we both got lapped by the leaders... so I just pulled off the track (without finishing) & had a beer." What a crack up, such a serious racer.)

Even so, I'm thinking of retiring to the Street <50cc class, incentivizing and motivating newcomers. My 24" folder bike doesn't feel safe pushing as fast as I did in the 2stroke main. Wish I could've seen my Bud Etard running toward the front of the pack. Was he one of the guys who lapped me? I did dare him to lap me right before the start! No Etard, my wife doesn't bath me when I break a collarbone. She takes advantage of me and threatens, sometimes punching me in the shoulder(cry).

The competition is definitely tightening up and looks as this sport may eventually draw some spectators. Surprisingly tight finishes in all the classes. Congrats to Luke and the great sportsman Christophe, even spectating was a thrill!

Here it comes Baird, my critique, comes with staff priveledges(lol). Keep most routines as they are. The follow up awards were much appreciated. The trophies surely are cheap Chinese steel, but if one thongs 'em just right with a finger, the tone is pure. Wonderful centerpieces to trigger bragging around our crude shops! Cut out the break 'tween heat1 & 2, run all heats snappy and give a 1 hour plus dinner break. I'd love 3 glasses of good ice tea at 1 of those fine downtown Riverside restuarants 2-4miles up Market Blvd.

All in all, our sport is forming a foundation to build on. All types of machines were given respect. The staff T's are cool. The track challenges and safety is in place. Our climate is sunny, warm and dry (most times). Give a race and they will come.

Congrats to the racers. See you in September. Start your bike builds/upgrades today.
cvlt1 (foto by Etard/Dave/Tyler copied from ES forum)

Attachments

Last edited:

liveforphysics

Apr 19, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
I had a fantastic time!

It feels good to race at an event hosted by someone who loves racing, and it showed in the way the racers had input in the structure of the races.

The 2-stroke class had as good of racing as I've ever seen in any form of racing, motoGP or F1 isn't as well matched and competitive as that pack of 5-6bikes in the 2-stroke class all pouring everything they had into every corner fighting for mere feet of position advancement in the pack. Just watching from the sidelines had me jumping to my feet shouting encouragement to my fellow Ebiker buddy E-Tard racing wheel-to-wheel around every turn with you guys.

That race was the best motor-bicycle race I've ever seen, perhaps the best that has ever happened. I would have paid the $35 just to watch that amazing race, you only see a small handful that good in your lifetime.

The Tomahawk Tuning moped and rider was a VERY hard combo for me to fend off in the twisties, I could see his tire sneaking up beside my pedal as we weaved through the corners, then I could make good distance in the straight, only to lose my lead again so quickly from his ability to out-brake me as my brakes started fading badly around lap 5-ish, and I was thinking, I don't know how it's going to last 7 more laps of this... lol! But I nursed the brake as much as I could, and it managed to last till the finish, the Tomahawk moped right on the tire for 7 laps in a row, just waiting for any mistake to capitalize on a pass.

Such a great event! Thank you Bairdco!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
thanks luke. you made my night. that kind of enthusiasm is what i want out of these races. growing up with bmx, and then the salad days of skateboarding in the 80's, i've been to so many boring, lackluster races and contests, and i always thought, " i could do a better job than these kooks that are only into it for the money..."

now i've got the chance to do it. and experiences like yours make it all worthwhile...:)

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Lined up behind the spiffy 2strokes for the main. I gave it all I had but only passed 1 66ccChinaGirl going into turn 1. The leaders pulled away and lapped me after the halfway point. Spent 10laps fending off whoever was just behind, I only saw his side and more frequently, his front wheel! Whoever it was I think DNFed late and I pushed on sensing another right there wanting to lap me. I relived my 3rd childhood those 15 minutes.
That was me behind you... Your bike was a little faster than mine going down the straights, but I was a faster rider in the turns.
I kept almost running into the back of you going into the turns because you were hitting your brakes real hard.
I did manage to pass you one time, but then you got right back in front of me as we both went down the straight.

After a dozen laps of not being able to safely pass you, we both got lapped by the leaders... so I just pulled off the track (without finishing) & had a beer.
All in all, It was still fun, & I know I better bring a faster bike next time. :)

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
Hey Venice/Norm,

Classy respectful clean race, hope I was as respectful to you. My bike was only a tad faster than yours up the straights cause I pedalled hard coming out of the turns, clipped in Shamano pedals and such. I cramped all Saturaday nite and ate ibuprofren all day Sunday. Maybe next time I'll pull off with you and hit you up for a beer.

Cool vid of previous heat1. Too bad your GoPro batts faded for our run, I could've been a star!

Great running with 'ya,
Will xct2

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
buba here

just wanted to thank you baird for a great day into night of exhiliration and excitement

any other stock unaltered china kits (like me) sitting on the side lines -- you do not know what you are missing and should make all the event/races by whatever means possible !!!

great time--great people -- great unforgetable fun

truly amazing how the bikes have developed in one short year

congrates and thanks to all -- truly amazing
glad no one was seriously bumped or bruised

ride safe

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
great race's bairdco. all the race's where tight with race's between 4th and 5th place as close as 1st and 2nd. and standing buy the pit entrance gave a most exciting view of the close action out of the first turn's. their was alot of very close racing at very high speed's and no big crashes. as the speeds get faster as they have at every race i'am glad to see that the win at all cost's [sorry neil i disagree with you] has not come into play in a big way. because one major injury or worse will put a end to all the fun. as i have seen a little sportsmanship goes a long way in preventing great losses and it is nice to be able to ''we will get them next time'' and to have a next time. all this coming from a fat old man that comes in last in all my race's. can't wait for the next one! race safe. race again! dennis

Last edited:

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
OLD MAN! Hey, I'm not getting any younger. Maybe they should have an O-G class. No one under 65 years. Not MPH. I got too much chrome on my bike to race it against them young'ens. Some of'em might be a little tetched.

Last edited: