are 2 stroke engine kits the same?

GoldenMotor.com

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I just ordered a kit, status is as "shipped" yeah it has that paper cone thing. It also has a "reinforced" muffler plate. Cost me 219$US after tax, but I think it's worth it for the improved carb. and muffler. I saw another guy who just painted the engine with 500 degree rustoleum oil resistant black paint.

I haven't got it in the mail yet, but I will post a picture of exactly what I get in the mail when I get it!

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've noticed one supplier has a new carb with a paper cone filter on their engine kits while everything else I've seen looks like the same exact kit. So I saw some stuff earlier in this post about different manufacturers and I'm trying to figure out how to tell the difference. The more I read, the more lost I get. Anyone else recommend a certain supplier of engine kits for a first-timer?
I think some good advise is don't buy engine kits BGF, or LEB off of ebay. They're cheap, but low quality. Parts and service is ok though.

I've had good luck with BikeBerry, Flying Horse kits. Pirate Cycle is also a company to deal with.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Pirate cycles doesn't answer the phone much though biknut. My order has said "will ship in 24 hours" for 72 hours already. I tried to call to upgrade the shipping to overnight to handle the lateness but I can't even get anyone to answer the phone, and one of the numbers on the website is "no longer in service"

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Pirate cycles doesn't answer the phone much though biknut. My order has said "will ship in 24 hours" for 72 hours already. I tried to call to upgrade the shipping to overnight to handle the lateness but I can't even get anyone to answer the phone, and one of the numbers on the website is "no longer in service"
Well I can understand the frustration of not being able to talk to a real person, but they do say on their website that they don't answer the phone.

When I deal with them I always do it strictly online, and there's never been a problem, and I always get fast service. Fast service to me is if I get it in a weeks time, that's fast. I know for some people that might not be good enough.

What I try to do is order parts well in advance of needing them, and keep extra parts on hand. After a while you'll get a feel for what parts are nice to have on hand.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Then maybe it shouldn't say "All engine kits shipped same day" on the website? Especially since they drop ship some of those kits....

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
I know this is an almost 4 years old thread;
I wanted to know if there have been significant changes concerning this in the past years or not.

Are there still differences, are they still the same differences (aside from paint and cc's), and what's the overall quality of the motors?

As for paint, get the regular metallic motors.
The black painted motors may look nicer, however they are painted over the aluminum, and aluminum does not rust.
So it's basically a layer over the alu metal, meaning it'll cool worse.
What's even worse, there's absolutely no difference between painting one white, black, green, or red or whatever, in heat transfer. Whatever color and layer of paint you put on there, will isolate rather than improve cooling.
What IS the case is, that the black paint will attract more heat from the sun, meaning if you're living in an area with HOT, sunny summers, a black engine will run a few degrees hotter than a metal one.

bill2781

May 24, 2013
okmulgee OKlahoma
hears one I found that shows the specks

Model :

Mode of Engine :

Single cylinder, air-cooling, 2-stroke

Power * Rotary Speed
Rated Power :
1.5Kw / 5000r / min
(2.5HP/5000r/min)
Max. Power :
2Kw / 6000r / min
(5-6HP/6000r/min)

Ignition Mode :
CDI

Compression Ratio : 6 : 01
Driving Ratio : 18 : 01
Fuel type : No. 90
Lubrication Oil : Motorcycle Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil
Mixing Ration for Fuel and Oil : 16:1 for break period (first 300 miles)
25:1 after

Spark Plug : Z4C 14MM
Fuel Consumption : 120-170 MPG

Clutch Type : Friction Plate / Dry
Speed Limitation : 25-40MPH

saposed to be a 80cc I don't know if its realy what it has but its what there saying on this one. I hope this helps some of us out lol.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Take the above specs with a grain of salt...these engines don't make 3 extra hp when revved to 6000, and the oil "ration" is incorrect.

bill2781

May 24, 2013
okmulgee OKlahoma
cool thanks. I am courious on whitch is better the 66/80cc or the 49cc ??? I have seen a lot of the 66cc ones out there and I have seen a few in my price range just curious if I should rigt now money is verry tight so the cheapest is very tempting but I also want a good one not a junky one . lol any ideas will greatly help me on finding me a good first timer kit thanks ohh and the bike I have is a trailblazer mountain bike .

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I buy all mt kits from ebay for $150 shipped.
mingsinternational and zminglu are the same vendor I use. Nearly 20 kits and counting with only one bad coil.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I'm a fan of the x80 kits from LEB. I have bought 10 with no problems. They also have a better head design. It has a proper squish band. Its easy to spot these kits they have a heat shield on the header of the exhaust.