any performance mods

GoldenMotor.com

mycam8u2

Dec 5, 2008
pennsylvania
hello my name is corey and i am new here? i have had my pk80 installed for a wk now.it is running pretty good. i want to go to a 34 tooth sprocket,it is a 26 " bike does any one know what my approx. speed would be, and if i could get some help on any and all mods to get more tourque and power.i wanna know everything..lol thanx in advance for feedback corey

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The easiest way to get big gains is with a tuned pipe. It will increase your low and mid range torque.

mycam8u2

Dec 5, 2008
pennsylvania
also i took off the cover to the flywheel and greased the gears and put some rubber in there to quiet it a lil, i noticed there is what looks to be clutch material, is that normal after a week of running? i am really interested in mods!! mainly right now things i can do by myself without spending to much money at this time. i seen some one said they run without head gaskets, does thta work witout leaking.

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
hey mate.
Iv never heard bout anyone not running with head gaskets but i would highly NOT reccoment it. i reccon that it would leak a bit. the "clutch" material that u talk about might just be wat was left in there from factory, the same thing happed on my bike.

Im not to sure on cheap mods apart from what easy rider said, a tuned exhaust is a good one. I havent had any need to modify mine anymore, it goes quick enough for me.

Good luck with ur bike. ( have u got any pics)

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
There is no metal in automotive wire, try a tractor supply or a small engine shop, they will have a roll and can cut you a length. Or you can can one with one end attached. I think you want 7 or 8 mil but you may want to verify that.
I also used a hot glue gun to put a nice seal around it and never had a problem in the rain after that.

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
I am currently running without a head gasket and I assure you that although it sounds scary it works fine as long as the piston is in no danger of slapping the head, some engines dont have this clearance or maybe some bottom gaskets are thinner. If you smooth the surfaces and use a smear of high temp silicone it will not leak.

I have also removed the bottom gasket while keeping the head gasket and I had better results probably because this lowers the ports as well as boosting compression. I had trouble keeping this sealed with silicone however far more trouble than keeping leaks without a head gasket! believe it or not.

You do have to sand down the head and cylinder top dead flat and smooth using wet n dry paper and water on a piece of glass takes a couple of hours with smooth strokes holding firm and flat.

Combine this with a tuned pipe and better carb and you these engines fly!!

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
Oh and a message for Brissy Boy, I finally got the new style carb from zbox.com.au tuned and it is worth the $65 and some! I ended up using the pin from the stock NT carb on the middle clip setting and lowered the float about 3mm cos the jet seemed to be very low.

The engine seems to have better fuel delivery overall especially at high revs in fact my engine revs out easily and smoothly for the first time ever. The jet is larger looks to me to be an .80+ it also has an idle jet and mixture screw.

mycam8u2

Dec 5, 2008
pennsylvania
There is no metal in automotive wire, try a tractor supply or a small engine shop, they will have a roll and can cut you a length. Or you can can one with one end attached. I think you want 7 or 8 mil but you may want to verify that.
I also used a hot glue gun to put a nice seal around it and never had a problem in the rain after that.
i know there is no metal in an automotive wire.. u didnt answer the question i asked, but thanx for ur reply

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
Copper does not have to be used. A good quality performance wire and boot will give almost as good a spark. I say almost because a solid conductor will always conduct better than one with added resistance. The difference in the spark, however, will be unnoticeable on the street and measurable only with laboratory instruments.

The reason automotive ignition wire has added resistance is to lower RFI. That's radio frequency interference to the FCC guys.

If all you have is some TV coax and an old boot, you can use it but it will play havoc with an AM radio.

Edit: BTW speaking of coax. The boots used for weatherproofing coaxial connections can be used at the CDI, especially if it's mounted with the plug wire pointing up. A straight plug boot can also be used. They don't hurt anything no matter which way they're mounted.

Ted

Last edited:

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I just did the head mod....Taking the ridge off the bottom around the chamber,I really polished the combustion chamber too....I think I might have taken it down past the ridge some,but it works good...All my gaskets are matched to the ports(int. and exh.)....Carb. jet is drilled bigger...Plug is a nice chocolate brown(safe)...I do run a rich gas/oil mixture too....I even ported out the intake mainfold the best I could, to try and straighten it out a little.....It pulls really hard up to about 32mph then the rpms are just to high for my likeing...I have a 41 tooth coming....also have a power pipe coming from Pipelyne...Thanks to this site....
Paul....

Last edited: