Adjustable ignition timing

GoldenMotor.com

alien

Feb 6, 2013
fl
anyone have an adjustable magnet for sale or know were i can buy one maniac is sold out

mondo

Feb 15, 2013
SAN JOSE CA.
I need help i changed the clutch pads on my bike motor now the bike will not start i have spark i was wondering if there is a way to set timing. 49cc

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I need help i changed the clutch pads on my bike motor now the bike will not start i have spark i was wondering if there is a way to set timing. 49cc
If all you did was replace the clutch pads, why would you think you need to adjust the timing?

In answer to your question the answer basicly is no. The timing is fixed. The stock magneto rotor doesn't have any adjustment.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The only thing that can go wrong with the timing is the rotor can be on backwards. You can check by getting the piston at TDC. The key on the rotor should be at the 1:00 position. It that checks out timing is not your problem.

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
Its realy my friends engine he lives next door, he was so disapointed with his PK 80 that he dont care if it blows, bu now he glad hes got a bike that runs anyway. He says SkyHawks are the best. I had a PK 80 ran strong, cops had it towed, anyway I'll tell him about if he goes to far with the timingl I hope we can tell by the plug chop. He blue one engine, plug looked lean and he ran it wot for about - miles, antway we got a Ace hardware, thanks for keeping me informed, Thanks Alvin
It sounds like i am your next door neighbor, because i just bought a pk80 and it is a pooch.

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
Turn the magnet counter clockwise to advance the timing. Don't go more than one keyway width. Try half a key way width first.
Hey Biknut, can you verify this, please?
It seems that the crank turns clockwise? and if you turn the magnet counter clockwise wouldn't that retard the timing? Just asking?
(Some of Jim's pictures at the beginning of this topic it looks like the magnet was turned clockwise?)

With that being said....
I took my key out and moved the magnet counterclockwise on the crank, about the width of the key-way, and it did make a noticeable difference!! I just don't know if I advanced or retarded it.
Thanks

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm very curious to try adjusting the timing on my Pig, anyone still making the adjustable magnet?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hey Biknut, can you verify this, please?
It seems that the crank turns clockwise? and if you turn the magnet counter clockwise wouldn't that retard the timing? Just asking?
(Some of Jim's pictures at the beginning of this topic it looks like the magnet was turned clockwise?)

With that being said....
I took my key out and moved the magnet counterclockwise on the crank, about the width of the key-way, and it did make a noticeable difference!! I just don't know if I advanced or retarded it.
Thanks
It is very confusing, but that's correct. Looking at the rotor, the motor turns clockwise. Adjusting the rotor counter clockwise advances the timing. It's counter intuitive.

The warning is valid though. There's great danger of burning your motor up if you go too far, and too far is very little adjustment.

jermak

Sep 26, 2012
Bozeman, MT
Hey Bikenut and gokart25 --

I don't get it. If your rotor magnet is spinning clockwise it seems obvious that turning it several degrees in a clockwise direction would be ADVANCING the timing of the spark (as shown by Jim's pictures on page 1 of this thread). How can moving the rotor magnet counterclockwise be doing anything but RETARDING the spark timing? I hope someone out there can clearly explain that mystery to me.

In the meantime I am going to experiment with the magnet position by first removing the keyfrom the keyway, then turning the magnet slightly clockwise from its original position, then tightening it down firmly using a star nut (hopefully it won't slip) and see if it is better. After that I will move it slightly counterclockwise from its original position and check the result. I will then report my findings on this thread.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hey Bikenut and gokart25 --

I don't get it. If your rotor magnet is spinning clockwise it seems obvious that turning it several degrees in a clockwise direction would be ADVANCING the timing of the spark (as shown by Jim's pictures on page 1 of this thread). How can moving the rotor magnet counterclockwise be doing anything but RETARDING the spark timing? I hope someone out there can clearly explain that mystery to me.

In the meantime I am going to experiment with the magnet position by first removing the keyfrom the keyway, then turning the magnet slightly clockwise from its original position, then tightening it down firmly using a star nut (hopefully it won't slip) and see if it is better. After that I will move it slightly counterclockwise from its original position and check the result. I will then report my findings on this thread.
LOL

Go ahead and try what you're planning. That's exactly the same thing I did, because I thought exactly like you. It won't hurt anything, and it's the best way to learn. It'll be obvious to you right away, that your motor is running real doggie. Then turning the rotor the other way will seen even better, because it will feel real powwaful in comparison.

This is the short explaination. Turning the rotor clockwise advances the rotor, but retards the crankshaft. Turning the rotor counterclockwise retards the rotor, but advances the crankshaft. What we're really wanting to do is advance the crankshaft when the ignition fires.

Don't over do it. Jim recommended 1/2 a keyway. I went about 1 keyway but tried to error on the less side.

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
Jermak I questioned it myself..

biknut
This is a good explanation:
This is the short explaination. Turning the rotor clockwise advances the rotor, but retards the crankshaft. Turning the rotor counterclockwise retards the rotor, but advances the crankshaft. What we're really wanting to do is advance the crankshaft when the ignition fires

Bob K

Mar 5, 2009
Insanediego
Yes, BUT, if you are running an expansion chamber, sometimes advancing the timing
is not a good thing. One size ( one timing setting) does NOT fit all.
( also the intake length,the compression ratio,the gearing, the mixture ratio, and probably a few other things I missed all play into the final timing setting)
It is a "Holistic Horsepower" kind of thing...

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Basicly you're not really wanting to advance the timing, you're wanting to correct the timing. A problem with these motors is quality control varies so much from motor to motor, but typically there's no way to adjust the timing.

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
I'm not too bright on this subject, still in the noob ranks... when it comes to the spark, how many milliseconds are we talking as far as advancing/retarding the sequence? i was going to suggest a small time delay fuse if they made one in the time range that was needed....