9.4 HP ONBOARD video ride; Morini engine road bike

GoldenMotor.com

Jesse002100

May 1, 2010
Parma Ohio
Re: Franco Morini 9.4hp road bike build *video intro

Hey Goat I was going to try a nuvinci with this bike (still want to if the damn fallbrook tech sales guy ever calls me back)

Reason I tried to contact them is if it could work backwards, then I'd put it on my wheel and run the chain to a sprocket.. But I havent seen any bikes with the nuvinci on the left side...

Do you know if it will work?
i dont know if it will work but i would sure like to know... anyways i looked all around and i found this place for 275.99 free shipping NuVinci CVP Rear Hub, 36h, Silver - AEBike.com
its the cheapest from a reliable source. i bought my last mountain bike from them there in Kalamazoo MI

Jesse

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

That would be cool, left side drive. Is there a freewheel drive involved? That maybe a problem. I have not looked at the the pic for months. Have not heard of any problems. Members have been running them a couple yrs. ron

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Hey Goat I was going to try a nuvinci with this bike (still want to if the damn fallbrook tech sales guy ever calls me back)

Reason I tried to contact them is if it could work backwards, then I'd put it on my wheel and run the chain to a sprocket.. But I havent seen any bikes with the nuvinci on the left side...

Do you know if it will work?
Well for longevity I would try a 9.4 Morini but shoot the hub I think is only good to 7 hp top I hear mabey it was 6 I forget. If one never truly woke up all 9.4 phonies hub and Morini might last a long time. But theres less fun in that. The only way I found the Nuvinci was on the right side. My Nuvinci has just over 200 miles on it so far it is holding up. Knocks on wood.. Ya I looked at my hub for awhile before I put it on the bike I don't think it can be reversed. Would love to be wrong about that ,yet I am pretty sure its true.

However I still think somewhere in the small hybrids there must be a hub out there. That sure would rock the bike world! Nuvinci don't know what there missing LOL..

By the way I am the only one I know of that has a Morini attached to a Nuvinci hub right now might give more time to to see if it breaks? So far its been cherry..

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Let us know what you find out from the rep if he ever calls back. Now you got me thinking again. Hate that when that happens...

My free wheel is threaded for right side drive. Meaning that it only works on the right side. Any attempt for the left side would unthread the free wheel. I have not seen one of these apart yet. If mine manages to break I gonna get a look. It would have to be a hub totally made the other way around. I am sure..

N360

Jun 1, 2010
Austin, TX

I know for a fact that you cannot drive the NuVinci hub in reverse...even if the freewheel is removed and a direct cog is used, the hub will freewheel internally in reverse.

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal

I know for a fact that you cannot drive the NuVinci hub in reverse...even if the freewheel is removed and a direct cog is used, the hub will freewheel internally in reverse.
Well that closes the door for me.
I do not want the added drivetrain loss with a jackshaft and the associated extra chain(s) and sprockets.

------------
Fyi the pipe came in today. it's a bit dented from use (came off a LEM moto, an Italian dirtbike)
But for the price I had to get it. Couldnt justify spending $250+ for a pro circuit of whatever since I wasnt even sure it would line up!

Now I can use this one as a template- and get a better quality one later.
Lucky for me it lines up perfect, and this was just from studying the ebay photos lolol

I took it down to my master fabricator friend who's going to make a custom flared adapter... I'll be picking that up tonight. Gotta get some springs also...

Additionally, the clamshell adapter came in, but it's for a 1.5" hub. So now im going to the local bike chop to see if I cant find one the correct diameter. Mine's a 1.15" damn.

If all goes well I will be firing up by tomorrow, and a testride the day after.!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

The rings need to be broken in a seated under load. Don't run it too much without riding it. I know how the excitement is I ran mine before I road LOL!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal

Here's a little racer's secret. Spray some WD-40 into the cylinder and let it run for a short time. The rings will seat almost immediately.

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal

Thanks guys.

That was the first start, but i edited the video. You didnt gee the boring 3 mins or so of warm up.

I only ran the engine for about 5 mins to do the first heat cycle.

I just got back from a ride....It's excellent.
havent gone over 1/2 throttle, but it cruises at 35/40mph effortlessly.

Acceleration is strong (relatively speaking)
But after a couple tanks I know the clutch will free up, right now it's engaging kinda high...

I dont use the pedals at all, and it's fine keeping up with city traffic... starts from a standstill and pulls away cleanly.

Switched tanks, so It looks alot better..
And switched the brakes so the front brake is on the right side like a motorcycle.

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Well it's time for a video ride. This is the second time I took the bike out for a little shakedown...
First time it was running out of fuel so I added a larger diameter fuel line, and swapped the goped tank for the standard one.

So you can hear the rpms stay the same and the clutch slips and slips up to the fully out position.
I'm really looking forward to that loosening up and engaging a bit off idle.
But the instructions are strictly forbidding adjusting the clutch for the first 500miles so.....

..Gotta wait.

But not for the ride- Here's my video

YouTube - Riding onboard the Morini bike

Still processing as of 4:10pm but if you can , watch in HD

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Also posted in gen discussion, but I think this qualifies as high performance so I'm posting it here also...

Well it's time for a video ride. This is the second time I took the bike out for a little shakedown...
First time it was running out of fuel so I added a larger diameter fuel line, and swapped the goped tank for the standard one.

So you can hear the rpms stay the same and the clutch slips and slips up to the fully out position.
I'm really looking forward to that loosening up and engaging a bit off idle.
But the instructions are strictly forbidding adjusting the clutch for the first 500miles so.....

..Gotta wait.

But not for the ride- Here's my video

YouTube - Riding onboard the Morini bike

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Re: ONBOARD ride vid; 9.4hp Morini custom road bike

Love it. Going to be putting the 9.4 on my stretch for long distance cruising. I know its a race engine, but the acceleration and smooth idle just beat out anything you can get from a Chinese 2 or 4 stroke for long range use. Keep us tuned as she settles in.

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal

Will do brotha.

A side note the pipe is sized wrong, it's a 1.5" port on the engine, but only a 1.0" opening on the pipe. Thats why I had to make a reducer...

With the properly sized expansion chamber I know there's another 2HP waiting to be released.

OTOH, the lowend tq is good, and I assume there will be a loss going to a larger pipe.

pj-pirate

Mar 17, 2010
So Calif

nice ride but----on the vid--I noticed him "blowing" several stop signs and makling ilegal passes through lanes..No wonder the rest of us have to keep an eye peeled out for the local PD's Please dont make it harder for the rest of us MB riders!

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal

Ya I rolled through a couple stop signs because I didnt want to load the engine having to take off from a stop; it's still on it's first tank of gas, barely starting to break in.

Lane splitting though, is legal in california. In case you didn't know.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
k im planning on doing a simmilar project got my morini ready my forks and rims as well, im looking for a sollution for what im going to do for a exhaust i c what looks to b a aluminium addapter acting as a manifold between the pipe and the engine and was wondering where u scored that piece from ?

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
k im planning on doing a simmilar project got my morini ready my forks and rims as well, im looking for a sollution for what im going to do for a exhaust i c what looks to b a aluminium addapter acting as a manifold between the pipe and the engine and was wondering where u scored that piece from ?
Had to be custom machined.