80/69 CC Take off speed

GoldenMotor.com

Ritchie

May 20, 2008
Manitoba, Canada
Hi Guys,

I just finished my build of a cheap Canadian Tire Cruiser. The engine (standard 80cc China) starts and idles great. With the clutch pulled in, i can rev it fine, the engine sounds good.

When I try to drive it, I have to rev it hard and slip the clutch to get it moving. Is it better to pedal these first then put on power as opposed to a standing start?

-Ritchie

P.S. I'll put a pic up later when I tidy up the wires!

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I'm just under 6' and 209#... I can start the roll from a dead stop. But that's not good for it. I don't peddle hardly at all, I push off with my feet.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, I pedal a bit, not much just a few strokes, about 5 mph.

Then pop and gas and off we go.

As long as you are moving a little when you pop the motor won't stall and the gas works just fine. I am using the 44 tooth sprocket and weigh 220.

If you have one of those "speed" sprockets your milage may differ.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping my engine just needs to be run-in a little more.

-Ritchie.
Unless you put a very large sprocket like a 50T or bigger, always peddle up to 5-8 mph before releasing the clutch and then hit the gas and off you go, the faster you peddle the less likely you are to slip the clutch and the less you slip the clutch the longer it will last, the China clutch pucks are not that durable if you slip the clutch a lot, so just peddle up to a comfortable speed let that clutch out easy then apply the throttle and you will get lots of miles from your clutch.

be sure to do some reading in the performance threads so as you get the engine broke in you will know how to fine tune it for the best performance, many of us here will be more than glad to help you understand what you should do and how you should do it.....

Best wishes fellow MB,er

Peace

dnut

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
No "revving" is necessary.

Just pedal while idling, let out the clutch while pedaling and then give it the gas.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I usually pedal to get off the line, let the clutch out, accelerate, and continue pedaling until the engine gets up to speed. I am not sure if dumping the clutch at a dead stop would actually damage the clutch itself, although I could be wrong. I think it is more likely that it will damage other parts of the engine. It will probably wear out bearings much faster, cause the engine to stall a lot, which will probably flood it, might cause overheating, piston/ring damage, who knows. Either way, one thing is for sure. These engines are definitely not made to roll from a dead stop. If they were, you would never need to pedal them, not even to start them. There is a reason they are called pedal assisted engines.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I go easy on my bike, and let out the clutch at about 8mph (where idle speed it about equal to rolling speed). You must remember that with only one speed, it's like being pinned in 2nd gear. I consider pedaling as my 1st gear. I usually pedal assist until it gets up into the powerband a bit more. Like bigbutterbean said, they are made to be pedal-assisted.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I go easy on my bike, and let out the clutch at about 8mph (where idle speed it about equal to rolling speed). You must remember that with only one speed, it's like being pinned in 2nd gear. I consider pedaling as my 1st gear. I usually pedal assist until it gets up into the powerband a bit more. Like bigbutterbean said, they are made to be pedal-assisted.
Oh, so these China Girls come equipped with a Powerglide! Awesome! I thought that was a Chevy thing!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I have a 48cc and was taking off from a dead stop, these little engines have a good amount of power and mine can even drag a couple of people behind the bike.