79cc Sportsman Flyer build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Thank-you Steve, but as I understand it remission is most often a temporary reprieve.
I am not certain I could witness Mona suffering again. And there would be no end to it.
Mona's mother Ramona died when Mona was 11 yrs. A lot of her spirit has not gone past that point. She is 74 years and if I chide her, she speaks in the voice of a twelve year old. She cannot hate, she forgives all transgressions, loves everyone.
How I deserved her is beyond my reckoning.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Thank-you Steve, but as I understand it remission is most often a temporary reprieve.
I am not certain I could witness Mona suffering again. And there would be no end to it.
Mona's mother Ramona died when Mona was 11 yrs. A lot of her spirit has not gone past that point. She is 74 years and if I chide her, she speaks in the voice of a twelve year old. She cannot hate, she forgives all transgressions, loves everyone.
How I deserved her is beyond my reckoning.
Tom
Hang in there Tom, enjoy what time life gives you both. most of all be strong for her and I know you are. This is all recent news to me as I just joined, my thoughts are with you and Mona.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Briefly in the shop. Removed the intake manifold, screws were not tight, yet engine was running flawlessly.
(Mental note) Monitor mounting flange bolts more often.
Removed the exhaust clamp and SS flex exhaust pipe from exhaust manifold stub.
Removed exhaust manifold, the components were fab'd by Member FFV8.
Lastly, removed the Bully clutch.
Only thing to do now is free the existing engine from the Sportsman Flyer engine mount system.
On Tony's advise I stopped a NAPA to get a quart of High Zinc oil. Back label reads like it could/should be the only lubricant one would ever want to use. My only thought is Synthetic is lower ash. Oil prices being about the same.
Tom

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hot Rod 79cc engine went in Monday. Top engine support was not lining up with the rocker arm cover at all.
To be continued.
Postponing Taco Tuesday to align with Cinco de Mayo. Tonight is homemade marinara with calamari slow simmered in the sauce. Mona made open face garlic bread topped with Mozzarella. EVO to the rescue.
Bon Appetito

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Hot Rod 79cc engine went in Monday. Top engine support was not lining up with the rocker arm cover at all.
To be continued.
Postponing Taco Tuesday to align with Cinco de Mayo. Tonight is homemade marinara with calamari slow simmered in the sauce. Mona made open face garlic bread topped with Mozzarella. EVO to the rescue.
Bon Appetito
Sounds great !!!

best of luck with your alignment problem

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
While in the shop today, I cranked up the ten buck Walmart crockpot. Primary #35 and drive #41 chains got a soak in chain wax. Come out on Wednesday.
Intake and exhaust manifolds are set and torqued. Engine mounting bolt tension determines chain line.
Intake and exhaust are all mounted and set. The exhaust was torqued 22 foot lbs.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
#35 and #41 chains came out of the wax bath hot as a pistol.
Got to take off the blower housing which I should have not mounted until the engine was on it's mount.
Brain fort. Forgot to plug in the keyed switch terminal.
When I set up the Flyer the rotary on-off switch had to go.
Earlier in this thread I posted a photo, not a good one of the stem mounted micro keyed switch with rabbit foot fob.
Devil is always in the details. Thursday is supposed to be rainy. You know where I will be. In da shop.
Taco's for Cinco de Mayo tonight.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Grandchildren are sweet. Bless my 29 year old daughter for not making her 58 yr old dad a grandpa yet lol.

seriously, a time to spoil your grandchildren and let the parents deal with your bad actions, LOL

BTW Tom, I got the fender braces in the day. They are heavy duty, nice. I will get some links out to you next week.

and damn, you’re serious about your packaging!

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
The one on the right may one day be President. Both parents very politically active, she is bilingual. Hope I get to see her teen years. There is a cost to educating well a child, their arguments will be irrefutable. I never had kids. This is fun.
Tom
Enjoy !!! But watch out she sounds more intelligent than both of us already, lol :p

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
After taking Mona to shop for Mothers Day flowers,
Got in the shop to amend the Magneto alignment and attach the on-off keyed switch connecters that I brain farted on forgetting an important detail.
Meant taking off the blower housing and having 1/4" ARC spacers all over the floor.
Thank Dog, I had the presence of mind to sweep the floor prior. Poor house keeper I am.

Remember, I DID NOT lap the flywheel taper to a more perfect union to the crankshaft taper, They matched well.
Consequently the flywheel did not draw in as far as ARC had calculated the flywheel should.

The magneto pick inductor coil was not centered on the magnetic field. Sort of center field by 1/8”. Spark would most likely would have been fine. Getting .500 OD aluminum Friday and make two 3/8” high stand offs to center the Mag pickup. Details!
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Done making heavy duty coaster brake arm straps for Nightster/Danny. Success!

Never did make the 3/8" stand offs for the magneto.
Ace Hardware had steel ones, most of a buck for two, cheap compared to making them. Magneto is centered.
After I mounted the new Hot Rod engine, a couple weeks ago and and bolted up the Bully clutch.
Chain line is off perfect by 3/32" or less. Both Lufkin combination rules are slightly bowed. May double check with a bar of D-2 flat ground stock. The Sportsman #35 reduction drive will not take much deflection.
Which is true of all chain drives. " If it is not true, you are screwed"
There are some things in the engine mounting system that have some adjustment. Perfect is all i want and it will happen with little effort. Just a fiddly detail.

As long as the drive train is down for align. Lubing chains is done. I'm doing a clean, re-lube and rebuild of the Shimano 110 coaster hub.
If anything looks amiss, I have a hub rebuild kit in house.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Weather in Rubicon has been chilly since last I posted. Got to the point of layering with long johns = 50's.

Still have to do a overhaul of the 110 hub before going back on the road to find out if all the monkey farting with a new engine port, polish, head deck, and 18Lb valve spring is worth the trouble.

Having a wife with cancer, and something different effecting her wellbeing just occurred. May affect everything, may effect nothing.
Holiday prevents a sooner visit for doctor consultations.
High priority in the coming week, reluctantly will be to get our estate in Trust.

Having been the Executor twice to manage estates, the latter. Nothing was put into Thrust, open to probate.
We are of the age, where waking up is a good thing, maybe.
Reply's expected..
Happy Memorial Day!
I had a ancestor in Grant's army standing at Appomattox court house at the dissolution of the rebellion.
Both sides of my family, Uncles did WWII. Dad's brother Vic was Army Air Corp in Hawaii Dec. 7. A few days from completing his service term. It was extended Vic and me, to rusty bolts in the same bucket. I miss him.
Memorial Day, and remember.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Burgers done, on plate, topped with slice of American Cheese. Simple salt and pepper season. That was after the Weber flavorizer bars ignited from retained grease. Not the first time I put out the fire with chardonnay.
Anyway.
In 2018, I once hit the rear brake hard. Gave it no thought until next pre ride inspection. When a pretzeled brake arm was discovered.
Still at the time the wheel bearings were still set. It took a bit of riding for the brake arm to unlock the drive side bearing cones, and a bit later to get a rear wheel wobble. Got home and it was a lot of wobble. All from the the twisted brake arm.

Your experience may not be the same as mine, but to get a replacement brake arm for the Shimano 110E. Everything but the hub had to be got as a group. May have been a good thing. the replacement, all of it came packed in Moly grease.

Cleaning and washing of hub and internals Thursday. My concern will be for the power side race and cone surfaces.
Everything else appears to be pristine. Hoping my ignorance is not been compounded.
Tom