79cc Sportsman Flyer build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Rear wheel in the drop outs. Shoulda finished chaining it up, didn't. Discovered that a bungee cord is a perfect third hand supporting/ drawing the axel into the drop out slots. Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks? Likely to get nothing done Thursday. This last week broke our drought with almost 2" of rain. SWMBO insists on a tidy lawn.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Couple hours in the shop today. Transfer drive #35 diamond chain mounted and tensioned.
Pedal chain and drive chain next. Still have not machined the heavy duty brake arm anchor of 6061 aluminum and I can't ride until it is made. Happy Forth to all.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
4th of July, 9:40 PM I lit Old Beller, my 3/4” bore salute canon. 14 grams of FFFF black powder. Mona said don’t do it. But all the neighbors were shooting fireworks. I wanted to do my part to celebrate the 4th of July.
Tinnitus has been my friend for most of forty years. Always a steady ring. Not sure yet, but my ears are ringing pretty good since Old Beller barked.
I should have put my fingers in my ears. The shock wave is significant by it’s self. Might be why my grandfather Elmer Olson was hard of hearing. Back in his day, he quartered sticks of dynamite. Shot off on fence post tops.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Went to mount the pedal side Shadow chain and must have brain forted. I knocked the hinge pin out of the side plate. Now I have to make a dedicated driver punch to drive the blasted hinge pin back into the chain plate. First time I had a problem with this style chain.
Its all Pilot error cause I have the Shadow breaker maker tool which is beautifully engineered. Murphy strikes again.
Tom

Last edited:

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Went to mount the pedal side Shadow chain and must have brain forted. I knocked the hinge pin out of the side plate. Now I have to make a dedicated driver punch to drive the blasted hinge pin back into the chain plate. First time I had a problem with this style chain.
Its all Pilot error cause I have the Shadow breaker maker tool which is beautifully engineered. Murphy strikes again.
Tom
I wanna see some photos of the finished product Tom. Once I get my new wheels built, I'll be posting my photos. The toughest part will be getting the 12ga spokes laced into the hub.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
In the shop today to make a final assemble press for Shadow Conspiracy half link chain. It isn't common, but on occasion
the factory tool does not work as you wish. Today I machined a small block of 6061 to condense the chain plates to aid alignment, while the chain pin is pressed in. This is another of my deviations from a proper SF build.

The Shadow chain tool is a marvel, and performs break and make effortlessly. But, and it may just be the link I wanted joined. Keeping the chain plates in perfectly tight geometry while seating the link pin. Hence my pin presser.
Tom

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I really should load some shadow chain to illustrate how it functions and photograph it. As simple as it looks there a lot of things going on to manage link plate spacing, limit link plate, and slot depth to assist link plate holes for the axel pin.
Pretty much everything is to .001" and it works.
Tom

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
You might try modifying a bicycle style chain breaker so it holds the pin where you want it, and perfectly centered with the link hole. Then, you just use a wrench to reseat the pin into the plate. Another bonus is that you will never again push the pin fully out.

I always stop turning the pin pusher once I feel the slightest amount of increased resistance, or I make another half turn. It's never failed me.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
i am running out of timeNR. Do you have one of these? The Shadow Conspiracy CHAINBREAKER CHAIN TOOL | Bike Tools - ERIK'S (eriksbikeshop.com)
It works fairly well. But it is not perfect. The tolerances are a little loose, which causes chain making, to be a 80/20.
The later is why I machined my Shadow chain making press.
My maker is just, load the chain and drive the hinge pin home.
My seven year old Grand-daughter could flawlessly build a Shadow chain with my tool.

Glad to have a shop heeled into a hillside. Outside 90F, inside 75F. The dehumidifier at 50%, cycling off and on.
Started to measure up the aluminum bloc to make a solid aluminum brake arm anchor. to supersede the 2.5mm strap.
Time refining is time not riding. In Wisconsin, I am running out of time.
Tom

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
i am running out of timeNR. Do you have one of these? The Shadow Conspiracy CHAINBREAKER CHAIN TOOL | Bike Tools - ERIK'S (eriksbikeshop.com)
It works fairly well. But it is not perfect. The tolerances are a little loose, which causes chain making, to be a 80/20.
The later is why I machined my Shadow chain making press.
My maker is just, load the chain and drive the hinge pin home.
My seven year old Grand-daughter could flawlessly build a Shadow chain with my tool.

Glad to have a shop heeled into a hillside. Outside 90F, inside 75F. The dehumidifier at 50%, cycling off and on.
Started to measure up the aluminum bloc to make a solid aluminum brake arm anchor. to supersede the 2.5mm strap.
Time refining is time not riding. In Wisconsin, I am running out of time.
Tom
Fair enough, lol.

No, but I've seen the chains, and have owned very similar tools in the past. Pretty cool looking, and probably pretty strong too. To be honest, I'm running out of time too. Right around November, it starts snowing. Around the middle of September, it starts getting cold. I've got wheels to build, a porting and polishing to perform, an exhaust to have built, a new battery box to build, and a wiring system to redo. Seriously, my battery box is a rats nest of wires, lol.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I'm thinking of using bloodwood for my battery box. It's tough, weather resistant, and when finished with a clear laquer, gorgeous. It's hard to work though, so I'd need to be careful so I don't crack it when assembling the box. It's among the hardest woods nature has to offer, and it's a closed grain, like maple, so it doesn't rot easily.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Got into the shop (briefly), and did some layout work on an aluminum block today. The layout work helps me visualize where I will drill holes will make corner radiuses and be stop cuts when band sawing begins. Follow me in my other thread
The plan is to machine a variation of a 1914 HD brake arm anchor to solidly position and retain a Shimano 110 coaster brake arm.
93F in the shade with little breeze. Shop was 75F and dry, with the dehumidifier running.
Tom

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Sorry NR on many plaines but I was using the colloquial of photo.
Haematoxylum campechianum - Wikipedia Corymbia opaca - Wikipedia A legume, bloody shades of black locust. Check toxicity of the wood dust and kiss your saw blades goodbye. Even carbide.
I once cut some slices from dry Lilac with my Grob bandsaw. Sparks flew and killed a blade.
Tom
Oh yes, I know. Diamond encrusted saw blades are the only blades that can actually cut through this wood and survive to a degree, which makes this particular lumber expensive.

Don't worry, I'll use a respirator when I work with this wood, or a vacuum to clear the dust as I work. I just want something to block out the mechanical noise from my engine, and bloodwood will do that perfectly.

Sorry, I'll stop hijacking your thread, lol.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Black locust. About the only tree I know of that you can use as fence posts in wet areas and they won't rot. Cut as soon as the tree is down because if they dry it's nearly impossible to cut.

Steve.
Precisely why I want to use it for my battery box. Doesn't rot, doesn't weather, tough as nails, and is beautiful when laquered. It seems though, that before I start work on the lumber, I need to soak it in water.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Oh yes, I know. Diamond encrusted saw blades are the only blades that can actually cut through this wood and survive to a degree, which makes this particular lumber expensive.

Don't worry, I'll use a respirator when I work with this wood, or a vacuum to clear the dust as I work. I just want something to block out the mechanical noise from my engine, and bloodwood will do that perfectly.

Sorry, I'll stop hijacking your thread, lol.
There is no hyjack. We are using the same engines and I can't do it all. and different perspectives leaven the thread.
Tom