50s style first build..

GoldenMotor.com

harlyhermansson

Nov 7, 2010
sweden
Found flying could be my new hobby yes..... troublesome build to get the gear ratio right.....but if i could keep it under 40mph, i´ll be satisfied.
Cluthpads??? do ypu think someone is here ?..He,eh. i got the point, and needs to install new ones whatever!

..and harlyhermansson, perhaps we need to meet sometime and do a race.....he,he. ( i normally go summertrips with my car to Swedish Rocking partys & meeting.)
yes i also had problems with that in the beginning. but then i found that the spacing between the drive sprockets on the chainsaw clutch and a normal bike chains spacing matched so i could make the ratios better. i run 18.4 to 1 and it seems to bee just right for the little 35cc. i hit 36mph (57kmh) on flat ground.
yeah why not! i live in västmaland just outside sala..wee.

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
I finded the chainsaw sprocket could do, yes. But on my saw,its a little weird toothsystem, and i gonna change to a another....18.4:1.......,i seemed approx. 30:1 should be okay, to not get to high total speed..if i find a ratio solution who could fit. Im checking out a 92 teeth sprocket for the rear wheel now. Do you used a jackshaft? Or just direct?. What sprocket sizes did you use?

My hometown is Molde, at the westcoast approx. 1/3 up from the bottom of the country.....

harlyhermansson

Nov 7, 2010
sweden
yes there are different sizes in chainsaw chains and only one fit.
i run a jackshaft in the pedal crank, goes from 6 to 48 down to a 16 and a 42 on the rear wheel. recalculation 20 to 1 got the sprocketsizes mixed up last time. but i just went out and checked and it`s 20 to 1. yes my gearing is a bit higher because i run 20inch wheels. you could check out some pics of mine in my album it`s on the last page.
i have been in norway a couple of times since my cousin lived there, beautiful nature but a bit of a nightmare for the clutch.

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
A neighbor was looking into the build today..........a pro motorcykel racer.....suddenly he run home, and came back---------------with a 10v 0,45A "PHILIDYNE" bicycle generator! A original 50s part from his dad. never seen or heard about one 10V before..heres it just have been 6V.
Fully functional! Just some minor lost black color on the top.. great guy..... (it seems my LED´s are in need of other transistors.. he,he!)

Attachments

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Done some testing today...motor is running...LOUD (straight pipe pressed only to fishtail in the end..) is toooooo much, at 12000 rpm, this dont noise, it SCREAMS!
Got some beltguard fixed, from a old DBS chainguard. Fixing the other side similar.

Attachments

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Lurking further......
Bought another engine from Germany, a 50cc Simson who would be looking great in the frame, if the locals want legalize it for street use....

The drive sulotion is nearly finished ( i believed) did get a rear wheel sprocket from a Suzuki TS50, and one for the jackshaft, both seemed to fit easy........

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Chain driving finished & mounted!!
Just waiting for the goods from US /Germany to show up.....as before. Should be just a bit round one week now....... (i hope)

Found a great VDO vintage tach in Germany ,exact as one i had in the late 60, early 70s, and a vintage halfhelmet,etc.....

Attachments

Last edited:

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Leaded50 ... I think your bike turned out great! That vintage tach looks made for it. I hope you can ride it with no toubles from the law, and no breakdowns. I have a Hiawatha bike that uses the old style skip tooth chain, and was wondering if that chain is readily available in Norway / Germany/ or other countries in europe? Its hard to get here, and kind of expensive when found. I know it doesn't concern your bike build, but I was just wondering. Thanks...Porch Lizard

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Thanks a lot!
Its quite easy & cheap to find the heavy duty 3/16 ( 1" pitch ) chain,who normally fit a old bike, but a skiptooth chain?... Not sure, and haven't seen one at stores. I think only places would be in places as with you over there..... I will check up a little, and see what comes up!

Regards

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Got another engine from Germany today... a old French something... 50cc,made for belt drive, quite good, just some cleaning to do! Gotta use this after a while.... it will fill out the space in frame real good ,and seems to have a great fit /angle as the downdraft,etc.
(look a lot bigger than the sawengine )

Gonna take the testrides with the "saw" whatever, even if i know i need to change....the local authorities would easy see this isnt a old original style cyclemotor........and then NO licens to go on road!

Attachments

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Mr Leaded, I was just catching up on your thread and you are doing a beautiful job! I enjoy the pictures and explanations alot. Dan

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Thanks... and great to hear you could enjoy my build. With your nickname i belive you could prefab pieces from metal sheets without big trouble! he,he!

KEEP IT UP!!

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Now that the package with parts came from US, i belived everything was ready for a test.....BUT....no....the tires didnt match. I bought 559 tires, and needed 584 ones!!
650b) 26 x 2 x 2 1/2 (54-584) Does anybody know who sells ones, or the widest tire of this 584´s?

The grips are at pløace, Veglia tacho is on, and etc. fitted straight on!

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Leaded ... I never heard of that size tire, but fortunately, you don't need me. Isn't it great to have a problem fixed so quickly? Hope you can use the other tires, or take them back for a refund or exchange. Let us know how the choice of engines is going when you get a chance.

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
porch lizzard, yes the tire size is nearly un-known/used in US, was used a lot in Scandinavian bikes, together with early French ones... Found dealers some places in Europa... but a lot easier to find one back home, at store!!. Take them back.....well its a looong trip to go....Middle of Norway, to the westcoast of US...http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
On newer bikes its a "normal" size, so will find anyone who wanna by it of me, i hope. The rims are old style originals, and i dont wanna change them to newer slick styled ones.
Engine.. For now, im going with the chainsaw engine, this has to be changed before legalized street use, so later im changing to the French one (Motobecane?) together with some of the driveline. But if the guy with the Ducati changes his mind, then another. rebuild for shure...or a new build!

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Leaded50 ... I have a Hiawatha bike that uses the old style skip tooth chain, and was wondering if that chain is readily available in Norway / Germany/ or other countries in europe? Its hard to get here, and kind of expensive when found. I know it doesn't concern your bike build, but I was just wondering. Thanks...Porch Lizard
Checked it out.....and sorry, the Scandinavian best vintage cycle shop ( The Rusty Spoke) said the chance to find one is like = 0!
Skiptooth havent been used as drivechain in European bikes (at least the North Europa..) later than the years 1800´s... even if we had over 120 bike-factorys over the years. The shop owner said only chance would be antique or Epay sales, or similar. Sorry about it!

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
AT LEAST!!! the last parts are on! (without some minors, just for the look ) Ready for a short testdrive to morrow, even if its snow & icy.....gotta try whatever....

Attachments