50s style first build..

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's cool that the freewheel can be locked for pedal starting the engine. I'll stay tuned to hear about the first successful ride. This time without snow and ice.
SB

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Hope no snow yet!! Found the driveline type when checking up which engine it was...believed first it was a Peugeot 103, and saw that smart driveline. After dragging a rope for a while, this is gonna be nice, just pedalling to start! Sprocket and chain are in mail!

Last edited:

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Thanks, Velodrome, nice you liked it!

After the new engine cami in the frame, i´d been waiting for other parts, thats needed by this switch... Now they are here! New custommade pedalarms, fitted to the old original pedals are monted, and just the chain to go.....

Attachments

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
That's cool that the freewheel can be locked for pedal starting the engine. I'll stay tuned to hear about the first successful ride. This time without snow and ice.
SB

leaded50,

I agree with " Silverbear ", your pedal start locking freewheel is cool even more so it's " IMPRESSIVE " to me.

Your build is " INSPIRATIONAL ", it definitely is showing your creative ingenuity you got skills bro.

GREAT BUILD!

Peace Crazy Horse.

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Thanks a lot, guys!! Great you appreciate my build.
The locking freewheel is great! After tossing around with ropestarter, broken rope, slipping rope, a lot of draggin rope by misstarts... and so, i love it! No i can pedalstart it, switch the knob, and it free wheels by pedaling, without a lot of extra human power! and pedals back anytime for brake. Engine spins only at the drivepulley and to the rear wheel, or disengaged when pedaling, with drivepulley and engine out of tension.

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Then this build is finished. The bike purrs as a kitten, and runs quite ok! Nicely speeding in 25mph..(taking it easy yet, after rebuilt engine...) Thanks for all geat comments, and to the tips & help this community has given me! I´m still gonna hanging around, but for the moment, just enjoy!!

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Really nice job!

A belt from the manual labor (pedal) that is something I don't usually see, and the guard had a nice shape along with the paint.

MT

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Thanks for appreciations, MeasureTwice! Guard is of my own design, and the choose of belt was easier when the engine already had a belt pulley. After seen one old Puch maxi/Motobecane moped i found a easy solution for the driving!

Regards

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I now see the pulley by pedal on one side and the other side pedal has the gear with chain to rear small sprocket as sort of or actually original bike.

I see the engine with what looks like a centrifugal clutch and belt to one side pulley by the pedal, but the engine when powering wheel does not spin the pedals. You have to have that this way or it would be dangerous, yes.

I know you said that when you pedal the engine disengages from driving the wheel, but am at a loss of how that is done.

I know a centrifugal clutch as is, would operate such that the shaft spinning at around 2000 rpm to 2200 rpm gets the range of engagement of the shoes to the bell on the clutch and 1750 rpm idle they are released. Spinning the bell which is one in the same as the pulley cannot do anything to engage the clutch as the shoes are on the shaft part. I missed something?

Is there somewhere in the description I missed how you achieved such a marvel. I like it! Point me to the post please.

I only wish I had some way for my situation that when I used foot pegs and welded shut the area where the pedal crank went through, I could add some pedals back and have them clear when the foot pegs were folded up. The belt and pulley is something I may try doing this since I have two jack shafts for slow parade speeds and left one jackshaft long enough to have a power take off point like at the front of a jeep as on farm equipment driven by belt. An alternator when stationary with a wagon and battery bank along with inverter for AC powering someday maybe will use the connection.

With rules for pedal that still drive wheels I could be using during more than parade and OHV dirt biking. I’m not so much for the streets, but some parade type events it is easier with the pedals still operational.

MT

PS, I see that you mention about the moped (slow to catch on;)), it was a design that was in existance and you used it for your bike as well?

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
measuretwice

It is a bit to get ones head around! lol He is using a belt tightner for a clutch I`m thinkin.

The big pulley and rear drive sprocket freewheel on the pedal shaft when riding is how I have it figured. He can lock the freewheel on pedal shaft for starting.

I believe that "trick " pedal shaft set up is from and older Moped with pedals. I seen one On craigslist in Pensacola today. He does state that in recent posts.

I`m thinkin his cool set-up would work well with a freewheel rear driven sprocket on the left side also, because his pedals are actually starting his motor.

He really is great at what ever he does. He is a crafsman, that for sure.

Rom

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
As Neat Times found out, im using a setup from an old pedalmoped.
The belt pulley on the left side, have on the backside a chainsprocket who freewheels, or when in locked position, dont freewheel. The pulley is "similar" to a jackshaft.
The engine (centrifugal clutch) engage the pulley by belt, with pulley/sprocket not locked, no power to the chain to the rear wheel, or pedals. Pulley spins free. Locked sprocket (knob on pulley)engine transferes power to rear wheel.

Unlocked when pedaling, pedal chain (right side) transferes power to rear wheel, and trough the chain on left side to the sprocket on the pulley, who freewheels,not spinning engine.

Locked you engage the pulley by pedaling trough the left side chain/sprocket on pulley, trough belt,C.clutch, and the engine will rotate/start.

Pedals are only connected to the rear wheel by its chain, not on the pulley, the shaft just go trough it, and i can backpedal to engage rear brake .
At pedaling just chains & frewheel sprocket would be engaged when unlocked, not in a need om turning engine also.

MeasureTwice, yes its existent on Peugeot 102/103 and Motobecane mobylette. Found the idea by surfing around trying to find out which engine i´ve bought......Could say some about French´ones, but this was a nice idea.

NeatTimes, NO, im not using a belt tensioner, dont need one, the C.clutch on the engine would not engage the drivepulley not under power,
The clutchsystem is of 2 different parts, one by arms who engage quite fast (slow rpm)by centrifugal force when pedalforce,(if drivepulley is locked!) who will connect and start the engine, and another centrifugal clutchsystem who connects on higher rpm´s, engaging the drivepulley, and locked sprocket to drive. And i got a freewheel rear wheel pedalside sprocket,yes.

When starting the motor, bike on the stand, locked drivepulley, and (hopefully enough..) one step on the pedal,nearly as an kickstarter. Unlocked just pedal way..........

Heres a exploded view of a Motobecane drivepulley,and an Peugeot engine centrifugal clutch, who could show a little more.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Still not sure I fully understand (not much of a mechanical mind) but I can see that's a slick setup. If a person found one from an old Peugeot or Motobecane could it be set up through a regular bike's bottom bracket and work with just about any engine? (Please say yes).
SB

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
LEADED50

After looking at Picture`s of local listing of 1972 Peugeot on CL, late last night, I see it does not have a belt tensioner.

I had the pedal shaft freewheeling system working in reverse of actual configeration.

Now, after you explained more, my freewheel, on left side of rear wheel would not work.

Thanks for the parts diagrham. Attached are pictures of local 1972 Peugeot Moped with 1935 actual mileage for $400.

Ron

Attachments

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
SB

I believe you would need a manual clutch system or the Peugeot dual clutch system for pedal starting.

It is a cool setup.

Hope the Peugeot that is listed here sells soon, so I can stop looking at my billfold!

Ron

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
silverbear YES!!
Right, NeatTimes, you got the freewheel rear sprocket then on the other side of how mine are.....but it would be posible to flip it....if engine would rotate the pulley the right way.......
And NO, you dont need a manual clutch! The 2 swinging centrifugal arms (se exploded pic before) get out quite easy, and grab the clutch to rotate the engine for starting. If checking on Youtube you could se someone starts it on just half rotating kick on one pedal. After engine started and more gas is given,the other clutchpart transfer the energy, The "starter" arms would loose their centrifugal tension when engine starts and idles. And if the shipping hasnt been very high to my adress, i´m perhaps bought the Peugeot parts......the time i did bough nearly everything in parts, found bearings to use local, and some mechanical work hours to set it up.....

Made a quick schetch on the crank/pulley/freewheelsprocket/pedals, to perhaps explain it a little more.:

Attachments

Last edited: