49cc generator

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I know that developing something like this for production is no small matter and has been a real investment for you in time, thought and money. I just wanted to say something to recognize that and to say thanks for doing it. Down the line it is going to make a real difference having an electrical generating system for the HS and HF engines... people who might otherwise be riding at night with inadequate light will instead be seen and be able to see where they are going safely. It may make the difference in saving lives, something you may never know about, but will be making a difference in a very real way. Hat's off you.
SB

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi A
Rember to get a good center punch sharp. punch it befor drilling always !!!!so the bit doesnt walk..try to make a jig to hold it so when you slide in the piece in the drill press its the same everytime. This will help with production .first shear then straighten metal get a body and fender hammer and a anvil to flatten your pieces befor you brake them. Then slide them into your jig... then presto like magic you have perfect same pieces every time...........Flex Man [Mr Metalmorphic]
Rember you can call me anytime to brain storm
rather talk then type as you can tell I suck at this
bad spelling and what ever long rambiling thoughts
no periods where there supposed to be ..........
Hope you guys can understand my threads...........

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Thanks for your input flex! Though you have not been here a long time, I can tell you have a lot of knowledge about metal working! Keep that knowledge flowing out to us less experienced folks :)

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
Any time anybody needs help let me know maybe I can save you some time .............I know tinkering is the whole
idea about this hobbie or bussiness trial and error . So have fun....

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I will be working on a similar project and any accurate advice would be appreciated. My first step will be to use a 12v DC motor and a voltage regulator to build a generator to power a light. Later on, I will hook the generator to a battery and use the battery to power the light. I cant afford the battery right now, so for now I will use the generator to power the light directly.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Here is what I think I know so far. some of this info I got from an internet page and the rest I got from my dad. take a DC motor and attach a voltage regulator. mount the motor so that the rear tire will turn the shaft of the motor. it may be a good idea to use a large rubber disc on the motor shaft. take the positive wire of the light and solder it to the voltage regulator. take the negative wire and ground it to the frame. as i said, when I can afford it, I will purchase a 12v SLA battery so that the battery can power the light and the generator can charge the battery. for now, the generator will power the light directly. I am aware that in powering the light in this fashion, I will not be able to power the light when the bike is idle. What I have been using for a light is a 6v flashlight purchased at walmart. They work fairly well for their use. once I have the generator powering the other light, I will continue to use the other light until such time as I can afford a battery.

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi Butter
Ya I decided to go with A's set up no moving parts nothing to break .Your idea is sound I also did a very little reaserch and it can work from what i understood is get a low rpm motor that is a higher voltage for best results. I saw somebody use a motor out of a old ink jet printer just for demo didnt see it mounted for any practial
use.....DC ...
Flex.........

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Chain, I was reading the reviews on it, it doesn't look too promising. If you are bending LIGHT gauge you should be fine, but heavy gauge like 16 and down is a problem

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I personally do not know how much voltage a 4 stroke will produce. i only have experience with two strokes, which produce 6v. my idea is to build a generator that will run off the rear tire. i was planning to hook up a battery eventually, but i am currently using a 6v flashlight for a headlight. my new idea is to keep the 6v flashlight and use the generator to power a brighter light. this way i will have a high beam and a low beam. whenever i stop, the high beam will shut off, leaving only the low beam. the high beam will only operate when the bike is in motion, and also has a switch, so i can choose to use it or not. i also have a tail light which i will be running off of a 6v battery.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The voltage a 4-stroke makes depends on what elec motor you're driving. Rather, you are prolly asking how many watts a 4-stroke can produce, and that depends on how much horsepower it makes. Horsepower and watts are both mathematical formulas that are derived from an engine's effective displacement and RPM.

For the layman: If a gas engine makes 1HP, that's just over 745 watts. That can result in many combinations of voltage and amps, all depending.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Right, Ale is right, if you have a 2.5 hp engine your ideal output wattage is 1,865. Then you need to consider that to get this wattage you would need to have a normal pedal bike with a generator in the middle. You could only get that kind of wattage if ALL the hp went to making electricity. Hope this helps

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
If your talking about the throtless shear A was making the comparison with
the shear for his project . I was just comenting on that .for what he's doing
the throtless is a better choice. And when I mentioned the bender would be ok is because his part is one inch wide and his bender is capable of that kind of work..If you want to do serious metal work you need serious tools . I think I made a coment about the only problem with metal workig tools is the size how big the foot print is on all of them MILLS LATHES SHEET METAL BREAKS
SHEARHS TUBE BENDERS and so on and so on . go to any real mteal fab shop
and look around you wont see any cheep little tools .They use the real deal
If its a production shop...I am not saying not to buy them . It all depends on your paticular project and
and how much you want to invest. if your working with small one offs light gauge metal not to wide they are ok for very light duty stuff all those harbor freight tools are . well you get what you pay for..
if you want to bend something big Check out the price on a real 48 or 60 inch break.and shear from a machinery sales company.That will give you an idea on you get what you pay for............
Flex.............

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Aleman, you seem to be quite knowledgeable about these bikes and their electrical capabilities. I am considering the idea of building a generator to power a 12v halogen light, and I will if there is no other alternative. However, I wonder if the electricity generated by the engine's magneto and coil would be able to power the light? My dad says no, and he is probably right, but if you think it is possible, then please tell me how.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I say no right off the bat. First of all, the halogen lights draw HUGE wattage which is the primary concern along with amperage. Voltage is calculated through watts and amps, so those are most important to think about. Then there is the whole matter that on the huasheng or the HF engine, the coil is an integrated cdi which means you would need to basically melt away the potting resin, and rewind the coil with two separate windings of copper wire without frying the electronics inside, in other words, that's impossible. Now IF you are running a two stroke engine, that is a different story, but otherwise there is no feasible way of using a 4 stroke cdi to power a clunky 12v halogen. A two stroke "white wire" powering an led or two, now that's another thing altogether...

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Ah, excellent, well my friend, you are in luck. You can power at most a headlight and taillight and at least, absolutely nothing. The qualities of the chinese engines are so low that it's really a crapshoot whether or not yours will work. What you will want to get is something called a bridge rectifier that will take half of the output wave and use it to power your lights. This will mean that your ignition WILL work at the same time if you do it correctly. If you get a voltmeter then you can see how much you are getting from the wire. If you are getting say, 4.5volts on average, then you can put a voltage regulator after your rectifier and you can charge a NiMH 3.7 volt battery pack. Something like that kind of system could be packed under your seat and would be enough to run a few leds in the front and a few in the back. As long as your magneto coil is a good one, you will be able to do this. Tell your dad it WILL work if you do it right Peace
-LS

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Not looking to power a few LEDs. Looking to power a 12v light. A buddy of mine already has a dc motor I can use to build a friction generator. All I need to do is buy a voltage regulator, which will cost me about $2 on ebay. So, the cost of bulding a friction generator is way lower than anything else at this point for me.