49cc generator

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
ok, i have a 12v sla battery and a 12v light. the light probably started life as a trouble light for working under cars. its a GE light and i think its like an older halogen type light. its definitely not a standard filament bulb and its not LED. it has some sort of insulation behind the lens that looks like foam but could be fiberglass. if i hook the light up to the battery, how long do you think the battery could run the light on a single charge? i am hoping the battery could run the light at least an hour or two. if it can, then i am not worried about having a generator to charge it.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Easiest way to figure that out is knowing how many AH (amp-hours) your battery is and how many watts the light is. If you had a cheap multimeter you can test the results yourself easily.

I bet it would be fine if you charged battery every night, as long as your light too much aint bigger than the battery :D

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
anything new worked out for the 4 stroke generator,this is the only reason holding me back from buying a 4 stroke kit for my next build. i really need a charging system for lights.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
anything new worked out for the 4 stroke generator,this is the only reason holding me back from buying a 4 stroke kit for my next build. i really need a charging system for lights.
I agree that it is a negative aspect to the four strokes and would be a great thing if something reliable and affordable comes along. I'm running a HS and a Greyhound. With the HS engine I recently tried using a an old Schwinn sidewall generator putting out 3 watts at 6volts and was able to have pretty nice light with an LED headlight, tail light and brake light... until the generator overheated and gave up the ghost. I have a couple more old generators and will try another, being more careful to leave the generator engaged just at night when the lights are most needed.
I have some limited experience with a front wheel dynamo... a Sturmey Archer drum brake hub with the build in dynamo... laced it into a worksman front wheel for a friend who is very happy with the output and steadiness of the light. It puts out 3 watts at 6 volts and again is enough for a basic lighting system, especially using LEDs. The down side of this type of generator and the sidewall one as well is that when you are stopped you are producing no juice... motion is required. A way around this would be to have a small, 6 volt rechargeable battery wired into the system with a push button to activate the lights while the bike is standing still at a traffic light, stop sign, etc. I don't know yet about how best to set up the wiring so that the battery is kept at full charge without being overcharged or even if that is a problem.
The Sturmey Archer hub is around $75.00 from Amazon.
SB

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Man, I don't know if anyone REALLY has them, but they made a few HS engines with stator coils, they were supposed to generate about 14.4 volts. I wonder if even 1 has gotten in the country. We need more of those.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
a year or two back i clearly remember on the grubee site that some hs engines where coming with a 12 or 14 volt "white wire" for lighting. i also seen one of the vendors shortly after that carrying the same engine,but back then my mind was wraped around 2 cycle and i didnt care much. it sucks,i would of thought for the extra price we pay in a 4 stroke they would at least of thought thru with a gen/alt/stator ect.

EDIT>>> i found it,its a hau sheng 142f.2 or 142f-1 engine that features the 14 volt 7 amp stator,it can be found in a 2011 grubee 4g belt engine kit,the only thing is that it doesn't come with the rectifier but does mention it can be bought from some shop in Missouri. if i did my math right that gives us a lovely 98 watts to play around with! awesome!

now the catch to this is to find some one who sells this engine/kit?

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Any standard ol Tympanium type regulator from a lawn tractor or snowmobile ect. will work with that engine. They all use a similar lighing coil dynamo design that produce bout 40-80 volts ac.

There's prolly mounting ares behind the non equipped HS's flywheel to add a lighting coil if they can be purchased or matched from another type engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty484

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is a cool thought Wayne. Gonna look into it. Got a buddy who is 3rd generation small engine repair guy. Is really the best of all thunking. Already mass produced and readily available. So cheap and parts can be had.

Been talking and thinking about this for last few years but thinking a front wheel mounted stator. My thinking is whether on a 2 or 4 smoke, my average speed is a little over 15MPH. So would be universal to MBs. I don't have the skills or knowledge to make one but gonna try. My electrical engineer buddies keep talking me out of it and going just solar so as not to sacrifice any HP. (I really don't think it would be much and if at all noticeable)

Just a thought. Would love to see one for my Honda 50cc and HF 79cc though.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey Dan, I like your DIY front wheel dynamo idea. It would be very easy to mount a stator coil on the forks and a bunch of magnets on the rim. Then all you need is one of the above regulators salvaged from a mower and a small sealed 12v battery bout 4-6 AH like used in a childs toy.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
There is available what is called a 3 phase tympanium regulator that doesn't need a battery to function but they are more expensive. The Ultralight plane guys sometimes use them to eliminate the battery to save the weight.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey Terry, I read your post in the other thread where you measured the width of the engine as 9.5". Still not sure which directon your "width "is. What side of the motor is facing you when you say "width"?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Width is width. It is not length as we mount the engine.
Width can be interpited to different sides by different people. That's why I ask for clarification.

I might be wrong, but I don't think this engine is any wider between the pedals. The face of the flywheel and the starter should be in the same place on both motors. If this is so, the motor wouldn't be any wider in that direction.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Width can be interpited to different sides by different people. That's why I ask for clarification.

I might be wrong, but I don't think this engine is any wider between the pedals. The face of the flywheel and the starter should be in the same place on both motors. If this is so, the motor wouldn't be any wider in that direction.
The generator Huasheng is 2" wider between the pedals.

There is a new flywheel with an extra 2" of magnets underneath it.

That would make the motor with gearbox at least 11 1/2" wide.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
OK, thanks for the clarification. I was hoping for the width to be in the other direction. The 142's are allready extremely wide without the generator. My 99cc Predator with belt clutch is 10.5"

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
For future reference, Wayne, so you don't keep doing it wrong and making useless posts.

"Length may be distinguished from height, which is vertical extent, and width or breadth, which are the distance from side to side, measuring across the object at right angles to the length."

Source.
LOL, it's still all perspective.

If that that engine was on a shelf, one could easily say that the pull starter was on the FRONT of the engine and not be wrong. Then the width of the engine would be from carb to exhaust.

This previous info posted has clarified it for me maybe some others too, and I am not considered useless by anyone, so it's not wasted or useless posts.

Last edited: