4 stroke Panther build

GoldenMotor.com

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
No progression lol. Its been in storage for a while now. I hope to change that as the weather gets warmer. I Really need some wide cranks for it from Pat. Hows have you been?

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
The build looks good! Not sure what Fastenal carries for chain but I like Diamond brand. It will work on the pedal side, too, and comes 10' in a box. Enough for both sides of the bike.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Cranks installed, engine test fit. I have to get a different width chain for the pedal side now. I cant wait for this thing to actually run!
Look at your first picture in post #66. See how the pedal crank arms don't line up? You have one of your cotter pins installed backwards. Each side pin must be installed from the opposite direction because of the wedge design. Reverse one pin and the crank arms will align perfectly.

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
Look at your first picture in post #66. See how the pedal crank arms don't line up? You have one of your cotter pins installed backwards. Each side pin must be installed from the opposite direction because of the wedge design. Reverse one pin and the crank arms will align perfectly.
Thanks! I thought it looked a little off. I will have to check the pins.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I've done the same thing a few times. Also look for the "S" and "D" stampings on the inside of the arms. "S" goes on the left side of the bike and "D" on the right. If you get them backwards your pedals will backout as you pedal around. Please don't ask why I know both these small details!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, I have. I can't say if it is better or worse than other sources. as there aren't many options in my neck of the woods. Don't remember what brand is on the box. Seems to me it was around $18.00 for ten feet the last time I bought some.
SB

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
Thanks for the chain suggestions guys. I just ended up just going to Fastenal, half a block from where I work and they had it in stock.

I think my next challenge/task will be finding fittings that will fit Pats Panther tank, a Briggs fuel bowl and the engine all using copper tubing.

Last edited:

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
So I found a adapter that fits the tanks and guess what. It lines up perfectly with the spark plug :( So Now I have to figure out how to move the engine forward. It looks like I will have to re drill the mount plate or make a new one somehow. This thing is fighting me every step of the way I tell you haha.

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
Don't worry I fixed the brake cable, don't ask me how I figured out it was wrong in that pic.

So after all this progress I was excited to see if it would work. I was hoping for a non gummed carb since it has been sitting for a year or so. A few pulls and it starts, yesss. But victory is short lived, for the engine does run but the clutch does not engage. I take the clutch apart and nothing seems wrong with it(not that I have alot of experience with this kind of clutch). So now I'm wondering why its not working. Could it be not enough RPM's? What would cause this? I might have to post this question in the troubleshooting section.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The Panther looks great. Very clean build. Is the clutch what came with the transmission? If it is get in touch with Quenton Guenther. I've never heard of this. It could be that the belt is the wrong one and slips. Don't know. You'll get it straightened out and when you do, woohoo!
SB