2nd 212 build... heavy duty

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by Tony01, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Tony01

Tony01 Member

Starting with a '69 CT1 as my frame. No more old schwinns. I've found their limit ~8hp.

Built up some new wheels. Husky 26x50mm steel rims, 11g spokes, rear hub moped (drum brake) and front hub a SA HDS22 dynohub. 12V maint-free system coming soon...

Going to use the same 212 block I've put 13000 miles on.. We shall see how long a 212 really lasts!

Pictured is dirtbike after I stripped most of the crap off it, and before I stripped it further. And my first mockup photo. seems like about a 4-5" drop from original. Going hardtail. Hows the mockup look thus far? Gonna have a gas tank on it too so I need to figure that in at some point for the look.

Attached Files:

2. curtisfox

curtisfox Active Member

Looks like a good start, if you could incorporate the tank into the top frame part. It has the forum or shape all ready there, should make a good build...........Curt

3. Tony01

Tony01 Member

man if I had the skills I would definitely make my own tank. For now I'll be using the 1gal tank that's on my bike currently.

Swingajig:
    I made the assumption that the swingarm is square/straight to the head tube. Everything from there is right on the money. The swingajig does move up and down, but the final location is bounded by the endpoints of my chainstays, which are shown in the next post.

KIMG0092.JPG

KIMG0093.JPG

4. Tony01

Tony01 Member

Sleeving lower frame rails in prep for chainstays. Frame is starting to take shape. Trying to finish the rear end tomorrow so I can get started on motor mounts, and all the small ****.

KIMG0090.JPG

KIMG0095.JPG

5. curtisfox

curtisfox Active Member

That frame has a Simplex look where the tank goes. Just a thought, my old Monark twin had a 2 piece tank. Gas tank half clamped to the frame, then studs stuck through where the tool box clamped to the other side. Weld one up and fill it with goo sealer. LOL..............Curt

6. Tony01

Tony01 Member

well I screwed up a little, so i had to flip the dropouts to have enough meat on the chainstays. cut em too short :(

the jigarm worked great. Added a brace under the frame rails that ties them to the center part, on the underside.

Slotted the tubes for the dropouts. Made a jig for the seat stays. Measured out where to cut for the frame tube, made a support from tubing... tacked it together... looks like a frame now. Can take out the piece of metal that was holding the lower rails together.

KIMG0096.JPG

KIMG0097.JPG

KIMG0098.JPG

Frame is tacked together now. Need to make gussets and supports.

7. culvercityclassic

culvercityclassic Well-Known Member

Looks good so far, really looks more like a motorcycle than a motorized bike. You use this bike for a daily ride? If so what is your commute as far as miles?

8. Tony01

Tony01 Member

Thank you! Yeah bike was daily until a couple months back when i got a car so I started mixing it up. avg commute was 25mi with 200 per week since last summer. I seen every problem!

Yep.. not based on a bicycle frame any more. Deep down I knew this would happen...

Well I did some more work yesterday. Did some finish welding and the rear spacing only shrunk an eighth of an inch when I pulled out the jigarm. Now to figure out how to mount a jackshaft and align it with the engine. I'm thinking of using some steel plate I have here from something else to line up the side cover to the JS somehow, like a torque converter backing plate type deal. And still need to decide on the style and size of jackshaft. Since the 5/8" jackshaft on my schwinn is bent, I'm thinking of moving up to a 3/4" JS and want to rethink the current setup.

KIMG0105.JPG

The box tubing the frame is resting on is the same stuff I used to make my 2-speed, dual JS transmission from.. And I still have 5ft of the stuff :D

KIMG0104.JPG

KIMG0100.JPG

.100" wall 7/8" tubing.. no tubing benders or notchers!

9. MEASURE TWICE

MEASURE TWICE Active Member

Like seeing the progress of DIY stuff! The jig, how was it fastened temporarily to assist with keeping warpage and other undesirable from happening?

It is a bit small for me to see.

Also if closer up or clearer how that rear suspension is to be operating. I really think I need that on my off road bike, but mostly I am standing on pegs anyway. The un-classy extra foam added to my banana seat helps but only so much.