27 tooth sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
i just got a 27 tooth sprocket this afternoon, it's on the the bike runs great. it can't go slow, but runs really good on the road. i even made it up my gravel driveway hill but had to clutch it. i don't know how fast it goes but it seems a very comfortable sustainable speed. it's on a schwinn sidewinder mountain bike.

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
hey bikeguyjoe, im round 155lbs, and it's moderately hilly here in eastern ky. there's a 36t on another schwinn i have and i never had any problem with hills with it. i wouldn't want to use a small sprocket for a lot of stop and go situations. like in town for instance.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thanks...I think it may be a little too high for us 200 pounders. Maybe not I have a 36T going on my next build....I've only used 44T's until now.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Joe
I weigh about 195 and have a 36 tooth on the rear of my black redneck bike and it will scoot I left it at home when I came to Mo. I didn't think it would pull the steep hills here but I might be wrong. My stock cough,cough,80cc with the 44 tooth sprocket works very well here in the hills as does the 70cc schwinn bike with the 44 tooth I brought both bikes here to play with and if it weren't for geting sick I'd be out riding now. I was really supprised how well they are doing here my son who is a big guy I'm guessing around 240 seems to be pulled along very well on the bikes as well he does have to help pedal on some of the steeper hills here where I don't have to pedal I've found only one hill that I needed to pedal assist the bike on and it was about 3 strokes and away I went.
Don't know if that info will help or not, thought I'd bore you for a minute.rotfl

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hi All,

Interesting to see peoples opinions on how well our engines work with the different sized sprockets given a particular set of constraints (terrain, rider weight, engine, etc...)

FWIW....I weigh 155lbs, run a Dax 70, and use a 36T sprocket.....I have no problems climbing very steep hills (do run a tuned pipe tho)....Top speed (rpm limited) 34.4 mph @ 6400 Rpm...RPMs for me at cruise are a little high so I will go smaller next time I get a chance....

Just curious, but do you have any idea what kinds of speeds you have been able to reach with the 27T?

Thanks!
Andrew

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
hey andrew, i haven't got a speedo installed on my bike with the 27t, but i can tell from the calculator that my average speed was 28.5 mph. 7 miles/20 minutes. i need a better lighting system for this speed at night.dan ..i wonder how you are getting the rpms, is there a gauge for these 2 strokes?

Last edited:

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN
I believe Andrew has a Tiny-Tach.

I know I've had my 70cc boygofast to about 7000rpm.

If you've got the power a 27 tooth could get you going about 50 mph at 7000rpm. But 40 to 45 mph is the more likely top speed.

Last edited:

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
Norman where you at in Missouri? Is Jeff city what you said one time. I came through there on an amtrak on Monday and then again on Thursday. I live north of Kansas city about 90 miles, in Maryville Mo. What do you think of the show me state, it isn't as bad as you have heard.

Josh

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
just wanted to update this on the speed. a friend helped me test it since there's no speedo on the bike and we got a 35mph, but the road we tried it on turned out to be slightly uphill for almost the entire mile. i timed on the ride to work and now that im a little more used to riding with the 27T, and not scared to keep the throttle open down hill the average speed was 7mile @ 46.6. this includes a 2 minute sit at a traffic light. the wind from this speed makes my eyes water so i have to wear safety goggles. for purpose of error i would say the average is prolly +/- 10% (most likely -) im hoping my new bike with ghost0's jackshaft will perform similar.

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
i see now, how does that tach hook up? that video was cool, easyrider. is that from a cellphone or a camcorder?

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI Guys,

The tach I use is a Fastach by SenDec....Updates are very fast and it has a peak hold feature....I wish I could recall where I got it from but I can't think of it off hand....Good unit tho...

CAUTION: Do NOT use a tach designed for a 4 stroke on a 2 stroke engine...I tried and destroyed a brand new tach.....TWICE! ( I had 2 for some lawn equipment and figured I'd save some $$ and shipping time by using what I had on hand....end result 2 dead new tachs....AARG)

Andrew

Attachments

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN
MrLarkins, you can buy a blank sprocket from jackssmallengines.com in the go-kart section. No math needed just line up the holes from your current sprocket and drill away.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
i thought id throw in my two pennies . ive got schwinn stingray 20' tirewith 70cc two stroke . kit came with the 44t and i purchased a 27t from kings . area is mostly flat and im a hefty 270lb. (id like to think its because im tall) any way top speed on 44t was about 18 or its as fast as i wanted to go without thinking the motor was gonna vibrate loose. after the 27t i can still slip the clutch on take off and it offset the cain away from the tire and was able to put my slick back on the rear. and top speed is 34 mph and the engine still has more maybe if i port the exhaust itll open up a little more. but i am more than pleased with the payoff of switching sprockets. but the best thing for me is i can break the speed limit on main st now . :D when the cops arent looking.