212 build

GoldenMotor.com

beltbuckle

Aug 22, 2011
Meridian, ID
the torque converter is $129 shipped, then you'd need 3 bushings to convert the shaft size to 3/4", that's about $12 + shipping. the motor will need to be offset or a jackshaft added for drive chain alignment.

or you could look at a centrifugual clutch + the AGK jackshaft (see http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=99cc) for $135 + clutch cost.

Either way you're probably looking around the $200 range... but you will end up with something that will be durable and reliable.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
not to dispute you scotto, but from what I understand, the higher the rpms, the more horsepower. the 99cc is rated 3hp at the stock 3600 rpm. with the governor removed, the engine will be capable of closer to 5hp. the formula for determining horsepower is torque times rpm divided by 5252. members who have used the 99cc say it is capable of 6000 rpm with gov removed. 6000 rpm would yield higher horsepower than 3600 rpm. so wouldnt it be accurate to say that an engine capable of 6000 rpm would produce enough horsepower to compensate for any power that might be stolen by the transmission? I am not as concerned with top speed as I am with hill climbing. as long as I can get a gear ratio of somewhere around 9:1, that should give me plenty of climb.

beltbuckle

Aug 22, 2011
Meridian, ID
not to dispute you scotto, but from what I understand, the higher the rpms, the more horsepower. the 99cc is rated 3hp at the stock 3600 rpm. with the governor removed, the engine will be capable of closer to 5hp. the formula for determining horsepower is torque times rpm divided by 5252. members who have used the 99cc say it is capable of 6000 rpm with gov removed. 6000 rpm would yield higher horsepower than 3600 rpm. so wouldnt it be accurate to say that an engine capable of 6000 rpm would produce enough horsepower to compensate for any power that might be stolen by the transmission? I am not as concerned with top speed as I am with hill climbing. as long as I can get a gear ratio of somewhere around 9:1, that should give me plenty of climb.

I'd tend to agree with both of you. Yes, a CVT does rob some power, but I think there is adequate power in this engine that it shouldn't be an issue for most people. If you're racing or something than yeah, you want all the power you can squeeze out of an engine, but for most riders the convenience and range of a CVT outweighs the reduction in efficiency.

beltbuckle

Aug 22, 2011
Meridian, ID
Last edited:

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
so what you are saying is, if it can be adapted, a cvt would be better than the agk jackshaft tranny. I am a little concerned about drivetrain offset. not sure how to achieve chain alignment if my transmission is sticking out way far away from my drive chain. and if its going to end up costing the same, I will just go with the agk tranny, because that is the next cheapest from the torque converter.

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
so what you are saying is, if it can be adapted, a cvt would be better than the agk jackshaft tranny. I am a little concerned about drivetrain offset. not sure how to achieve chain alignment if my transmission is sticking out way far away from my drive chain. and if its going to end up costing the same, I will just go with the agk tranny, because that is the next cheapest from the torque converter.
If you don't want to use any type of jackshaft, then yes, you are going to have to offset the engine quite a bit to one side to get the TQ sprocket to line up. Making your own jackshaft isn't that expensive. I believe it's either Scotto or Glenbo that have a write up on how they made their own. I've also seen a write up on replacing the second pulley shaft of the CVT to one that is longer and going through the back of the CVT to add a sprocket that will align with the rear wheel sprocket. You have to use a pillowblock and something on the other side to brace it though that is mounted to the bike frame below the seat.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Agk does not have the cheapest Jackshaft kit and there are maxtourqe clutches available for the HF motors already bored out to 16mm

the 97cc LIFAN motor uses the same bolt pattern to mount the motor and jackshaft/cvt and the 99cc predator

http://www.hotrodminibike.com/Home_Page.html

Remember folks most of what we use for these MABS is made to go in something else
be it a weedeater pocketbike Gokart or the good old Minibike toss it all in a pot with a bicycle or two and mix well

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Agk does not have the cheapest Jackshaft kit and there are maxtourqe clutches available for the HF motors already bored out to 16mm

the 97cc LIFAN motor uses the same bolt pattern to mount the motor and jackshaft/cvt and the 99cc predator

http://www.hotrodminibike.com/Home_Page.html

Remember folks most of what we use for these MABS is made to go in something else
be it a weedeater pocketbike Gokart or the good old Minibike toss it all in a pot with a bicycle or two and mix well
At $24.95, this is the cheapest. Actually, it's the jackplate for Torq-a-verters. You can jackshaft it now, then add the drive/driven pulleys later:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baja-Motors..._Accessories&hash=item4d0048caeb&vxp=mtr#shId

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
At $24.95, this is the cheapest. Actually, it's the jackplate for Torq-a-verters. You can jackshaft it now, then add the drive/driven pulleys later:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baja-Motors..._Accessories&hash=item4d0048caeb&vxp=mtr#shId
and try to move that plate to adjust the slack in the chain

then you have not priced the parts to build a CVT buying them seperately

would like like me to post links to buy all The parts to build A cvt one part at a time? or just spend the $129 for a made in china copy of a comet TAV cvt??

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
and try to move that plate to adjust the slack in the chain

then you have not priced the parts to build a CVT buying them seperately

would like like me to post links to buy all The parts to build A cvt one part at a time? or just spend the $129 for a made in china copy of a comet TAV cvt??
I'm thinking about adjusting the engine mount to adjust tension, or a simple chain tensioner.

You can add up the clutch/shaft and sprockets. They'll be less than the REAL torq-verter, maybe even less than the China model. Way cheaper than the AGK plate & sprockets.

Not everyone wants a torque converter. I don't. Besides, I'm itching to try a simple jackshaft setup.dance1

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
I'm thinking about adjusting the engine mount to adjust tension, or a simple chain tensioner.

You can add up the clutch/shaft and sprockets. They'll be less than the REAL torq-verter, maybe even less than the China model. Way cheaper than the AGK plate & sprockets.

Not everyone wants a torque converter. I don't. Besides, I'm itching to try a simple jackshaft setup.dance1
look at the last pic I posted then at the cvt backing plate you posted
the jackshaft plate is slooted because there is a chain from the clutch to the shaft that makes up the jackshft in that system now explain to me how a cvt backing plate can adjust the tension of the first chain!!!!!

like so...

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
What's all the back and forth talk, by the time you buy all the cheap crap you will spend more than what a proven system such as what AGK offers. That's why it's under the bike section on their site. Look close it's not the same as what you posted.

Good luck with your choice...

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
What's all the back and forth talk, by the time you buy all the cheap crap you will spend more than what a proven system such as what AGK offers. That's why it's under the bike section on their site. Look close it's not the same as what you posted.

Good luck with your choice...
why.... because there is more then one way to skin a cat and on some builds a jack shaft that angles down might fit the bike better then one that mounts straight. May solve chainline problems