1911 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
That's not quite correct, CF.

There are repetitive strikes against the mandrel inside the tool. The exterior stub of the mandrel is what the socket goes on.

Those impacts loosen the fastener. The kinetic mass of the flywheel may prevent it from moving much, if the nut comes loose quickly.

Otherwise... well, some people use impact guns to start their engines!

Hope that helps
rc
Technically you are correct, but mine was not on that tight so it came right off with minimal effort. Yes you could start the engine with torque wrench if you were spinning it clockwise. Counter Clockwise won't start it though.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Here is a box shot of the replacement Comet series 30 rear pulley I got. This is the one-piece unit that won't break apart on you and give you a heart attack. it's been working quite well so far.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
No isolators used. The engine is bolted directly to the frame. The headlight has a good rhythmic shimmy at idle. Makes it look like there is something between the frame tubes with substance.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
CF love that ride and that sprung front end could You post some detailed pics of the forks upper and lower. Im looking to build one similar for my gravely davidson build. Thanks, Rick.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Just went in the 54th annual Carmichael Elks Lodge 4th of July Parade riding along with the Sacrament Model A car club. Had a blast and got to wear the period clothing. Had a great day :) click on picture for video.....

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think the Harbor Freight engines are the wave of the future for motor bicycles across the board. Weather it be the 99cc or the 420cc These engines are where its at. I think people are just getting fed up with the cheap quality and unreliability of the china engines.

If you don't have a hf engine yet I suggest you consider one, when you china one goes. They are your best bang for the buck.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I think the Harbor Freight engines are the wave of the future for motor bicycles across the board. Weather it be the 99cc or the 420cc These engines are where its at. I think people are just getting fed up with the cheap quality and unreliability of the china engines.

If you don't have a hf engine yet I suggest you consider one, when you china one goes. They are your best bang for the buck.
Have the Predator Engine proven itself? I got the last of the Greyhounds for my build and don't know much about the Predators. Can you still get all the performance parts as you could with the Greyhounds?

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
Have the Predator Engine proven itself? I got the last of the Greyhounds for my build and don't know much about the Predators. Can you still get all the performance parts as you could with the Greyhounds?
The've been using the predators in carting for a couple years now, AGK has a section just for the Predators on their site, I researched all of this before I bought mine, from what I remember, a lot of the Greyhound parts fit the Predator but they do have different connecting rods.

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA

Lurker, the Predator engine is also made in China. The quality seems to be pretty good but it's still not of the same quality you'll get from a Honda. Don't get me wrong though, we build clone engines all day long and they hold up great. Hondas are nicer quality however it hasn't made them a more reliable or more powerful engine in our experience.

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
The've been using the predators in carting for a couple years now, AGK has a section just for the Predators on their site, I researched all of this before I bought mine, from what I remember, a lot of the Greyhound parts fit the Predator but they do have different connecting rods.
The Predator has a handful of parts that do not interchange with the Honda. If I'm going to keep an engine mild I don't mind building a Predator. I'm talking about governor removal, a header, an upgraded carb and maybe a few other small things.

If I'm going to build a high output engine I prefer to use a Honda or a clone like one of the Greyhound engines. Once you start getting into cams, cylinder heads, pistons and connecting rods, the clone engine will have a larger variety of parts to choose from and it will be less expensive to build.