1911 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Agk, Yeah I know I was just talking about the standard bicycle 2 and 4 stroke china engines. I had one at one point in time and was nothing but disappointed with it. I think at some point the hf engines could catch on as a cheap and much more reliable alternative. I had a bone stock gx200 clone for quite some time and put a lot of miles on it with no problems what so ever.

Bigboy

May 4, 2011
Placerville, California.
I think the Harbor Freight engines are the wave of the future for motor bicycles across the board. Weather it be the 99cc or the 420cc These engines are where its at. I think people are just getting fed up with the cheap quality and unreliability of the china engines.

If you don't have a hf engine yet I suggest you consider one, when you china one goes. They are your best bang for the buck.
HMMMMMM......... An engine family that can't be had in the (in most states) legal 49cc form , featuring splash lubrication and a bathtub combustion chamber is the wave of the future??????
Lurker, you're building a beautiful bike, but pulling OVER 100HP per litre out of a dipper rod, bathtub chambered , naturally aspirated stationary engine...... C'mon guys!!!!!!!
We've heard way too many stories of 20+ HP out of these engines, and are getting a bit weary of the bragging.
We have also heard of guys spending something close to $2,000 to get to that (somewhat imaginary) level. Anything is possible if you spend enough time and money on it...........
We feel that if you building a bike from scratch anyway, there are far more rugged , versatile, and cost effective power units out there, all while having power to run real lighting, and gobs of aftermarket mods available.
While looking at that cheap stationary engine, factor in the cost of transmission, lighting equipment, and the limited aftermarket support, plus , the less than bullet proof reliability when seriously hopped up.
Again, boys, A 22HP 200cc HF engine???? Prove it!!!

We run a 88cc engine (half the displacement of many competitors in this class) with 6 hp at the Grange race in October last year
in the mid-class and won. This year we used a 114cc engine with 8.2HP in the same class this year (April) and started to lap the field!

Now both of this engines cost less then $ 400 and that does include the
transmission and e-start / generator! THAT is bang for the BUCK!

If all you are want is the look..... it may be the way to go! But looking at
performance, parts and reliability the Lifan/Honda engine has huge advantages!

We are looking forward running our little engine next time against the 22HP? MONSTERS!!:D

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
HMMMMMM......... An engine family that can't be had in the (in most states) legal 49cc form , featuring splash lubrication and a bathtub combustion chamber is the wave of the future??????
Lurker, you're building a beautiful bike, but pulling OVER 100HP per litre out of a dipper rod, bathtub chambered , naturally aspirated stationary engine...... C'mon guys!!!!!!!
We've heard way too many stories of 20+ HP out of these engines, and are getting a bit weary of the bragging.
We have also heard of guys spending something close to $2,000 to get to that (somewhat imaginary) level. Anything is possible if you spend enough time and money on it...........
We feel that if you building a bike from scratch anyway, there are far more rugged , versatile, and cost effective power units out there, all while having power to run real lighting, and gobs of aftermarket mods available.
While looking at that cheap stationary engine, factor in the cost of transmission, lighting equipment, and the limited aftermarket support, plus , the less than bullet proof reliability when seriously hopped up.
Again, boys, A 22HP 200cc HF engine???? Prove it!!!

We run a 88cc engine (half the displacement of many competitors in this class) with 6 hp at the Grange race in October last year
in the mid-class and won. This year we used a 114cc engine with 8.2HP in the same class this year (April) and started to lap the field!

Now both of this engines cost less then $ 400 and that does include the
transmission and e-start / generator! THAT is bang for the BUCK!

If all you are want is the look..... it may be the way to go! But looking at
performance, parts and reliability the Lifan/Honda engine has huge advantages!

We are looking forward running our little engine next time against the 22HP? MONSTERS!!:D

Wow tell us what you really think SIR!!!! Lol

Doesn't the Lifan have a manual gearbox? Wouldn't that manual gearbox make it illegal in most states regardless of engine capacity?

Last edited:

Bigboy

May 4, 2011
Placerville, California.
Hi, Harry!

Actually, one of the coolest things about this engine family is the variety of transmission options.

Many of these engines have single speed with a wet centrifugal clutch, like Roland's bike runs. The moped versions use a dual range trans, with auto clutch. Some Japanese domestic market versions even use a cvt setup inside the case.
Many of these engines use a wet centrifugal clutch with a three or four speed gearbox, in addition to the manual clutch version.

What this means is that there are several viable options to the bike builder, and over 50 years of continuous production, and development, behind these bomb proof little engines

Roland and I haven't even scratched the surface on performance mods (yet...HeHe!)
Take a look around the net on all the wild and crazy mods people have done to these engines over the last fifty years.... food for thought....

These engines are enduring classics, and rightfully deserve consideration for many cool bike projects!!!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hi, Harry!

Actually, one of the coolest things about this engine family is the variety of transmission options.

Many of these engines have single speed with a wet centrifugal clutch, like Roland's bike runs. The moped versions use a dual range trans, with auto clutch. Some Japanese domestic market versions even use a cvt setup inside the case.
Many of these engines use a wet centrifugal clutch with a three or four speed gearbox, in addition to the manual clutch version.

What this means is that there are several viable options to the bike builder, and over 50 years of continuous production, and development, behind these bomb proof little engines

Roland and I haven't even scratched the surface on performance mods (yet...HeHe!)
Take a look around the net on all the wild and crazy mods people have done to these engines over the last fifty years.... food for thought....

These engines are enduring classics, and rightfully deserve consideration for many cool bike projects!!!
I had no idea there were so many options for that engine. Good to know.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
When I was in the 4th of July Parade I met a group of military vehicle owners, military re-enactors, and lots of militaria in general. I thought that it would be cool to have a piece of living military history myself. I did some research and throughout WW1 all major Countries were using motorcycles in all forms of service. Corpsmen were using them with flat sidecars as ambulances, infantry were using them as scouts, mobile wireless radio, and mobile machine gunners, and the Signal Corps were using them as dispatch couriers. So I decided to make my Indian a dispatch courier bike. Good thing green is my favorite color :)

I ordered a WW1 doughboy uniform. I'll be getting it in about 8 weeks. Dispatch couriers used basic doughboy uniforms but were able to use different footwear, head gear, and eye gear as they wished. This will be fun to ride around in.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
It must have been hard to paint over that red paint with the nice patina. I like the red a lot better but I'm sure the green will grow on me. And you were probably due for a change.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
CF

I`m not sure about this! The picture does not seem quit right!

Oh well, I`ll adapt to it! sigh!

Ron
I must agree. I don't mean to discourage your work CF but the green just doesn't do this bike justice IMO, but then again war replicas were never my thing. Either way it is cool seeing this bike reborn again and being used.

What do the other war reenactors think of your ride? Look forward to seeing more pics

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I realize this isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. Google WW1 motorcycle and you will see dozens of pictures of the old old bikes serving in war. I think I was just getting too old, stiff, uncomfortable on BTR's lol. I submit to you that there is a third type of motorcycle that is equally relivant to BTR's and vintage motorcycles, military motorcycles.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I welded a rear cargo rack to the bike and put on a 800 round belted 7.62 ammo can so my small dog can ride with me now, and I raised the bars a little. Later I'm going to replace the steel ammo box with a period correct wooden box.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
They didn't put stars on anything till after WW1. I looked at 100's of old war pictures and every motorcycle, truck, and tank was rather plain with no graphics like stars and stripes. Just green paint with some lettering, but that's it. They did start to begin camo patterned paint jobs but they were just on helmets, cannons, and some aircraft as far as I can see.

feelyx

Jun 30, 2012
sac. ca 95821
well even without a star it still freakin' awesome!
I do have a question about the oil splash stick,, did you remove it and place it somewhere else, or did you just leave in the same place?
and... heres a biggie... could I trace a life size of your frame onto a sheet of paper to hang up and copy for my frame?
Thanks

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
well even without a star it still freakin' awesome!
I do have a question about the oil splash stick,, did you remove it and place it somewhere else, or did you just leave in the same place?
and... heres a biggie... could I trace a life size of your frame onto a sheet of paper to hang up and copy for my frame?
Thanks
I use the stock dip stick location, but I did make a separate dip stick to use in the hole because the stock dip stick is too short. Sure, contact me via PM and we can make arrangements to have you measure and trace. -John

feelyx

Jun 30, 2012
sac. ca 95821
After seeing this bike one on one I am totally impressed with the build. You have to see it in person, pics don't do it justice. The military theme is a perfect match, you have to look 2 or 3 times to make sure that its a replica. It even sounds realistic to the era. I want to thank John publicly to allow me to measure and take pics to duplicate this work.