1911 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Lots of room to maneuver. I ran into the President of the local Ford Model A club last week and he said I should ride the parade with them. So I followed last in a group of about 15 or so Model A Fords. I was able to circle, do figure 8's, and come along the far left and right along the edges of each side of the street. I stopped for photos often for people and answered lots of questions. I did lots of waiving to the kids and horn honking. It was a hit. Lots of applause. I recommend doing a parade for a vintage bike build in full vintage garb. Nothing like it. I'm looking forward to next year.

triq2ookvd

Feb 28, 2011
Cocoa FL
Very neat and a fitting tribute for a project well done. Maybe the kids will have something to think about, and next year maybe several vintage replicas in the parade.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
I went ahead and ordered the billet rod with journal bearings from AGK for my clone project yesterday. As well. I am replacing the 18 pound springs with 26 pounders, .265 lift cam, Mikuni 22 mm carb and a single stage header which I will weld a megaphone exhaust to. I'm calling this the stage one engine. Not too hot, not too cold but definately that stock rod is junk and likely not suitable for vertical operation or anything over SLG fixed RPM. I don't like the idea of 18 # valve springs either with a .265 lift cam. Just a personal choice.

I am sure FedEx just mis updated their system, here's to hoping they didn't lose your CVT. Usually they only lose real small packages in my experience.

Your project looks really good. I think the engine angle is just right.

I have been rereading some things in this post as I finally have the parts to begin building up the engine that I will drop into the boardie when Dan ships it back. I wanted to start here with Tre's quote as I had the same question at one time, that is what springs to run with what cam. The 26 # springs with the 265 lift cam is definitely the correct setup. I will be running the 1.3 rockers and chrome moly pushrods which will essentially increase my lift to 344. I spoke with Hunter at ARC, he said that this was a good setup that would not result in any binding.

For cobrafreak, now that you have been running the engine...how many total miles do you have on her now? Have you made any adjustments to the type of oil or how many ounces of oil you are running? I am curious what is the best oil wieght to stick in there, I was thinking of maybe just running straigh SAE 30 weight, just not sure exactly how much given the offset of the motor.

Did you grind the slot for the oil drain with just a dremel tool and grinding bit? Thinking of doing that today!!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I have been rereading some things in this post as I finally have the parts to begin building up the engine that I will drop into the boardie when Dan ships it back. I wanted to start here with Tre's quote as I had the same question at one time, that is what springs to run with what cam. The 26 # springs with the 265 lift cam is definitely the correct setup. I will be running the 1.3 rockers and chrome moly pushrods which will essentially increase my lift to 344. I spoke with Hunter at ARC, he said that this was a good setup that would not result in any binding.

For cobrafreak, now that you have been running the engine...how many total miles do you have on her now? Have you made any adjustments to the type of oil or how many ounces of oil you are running? I am curious what is the best oil wieght to stick in there, I was thinking of maybe just running straigh SAE 30 weight, just not sure exactly how much given the offset of the motor.

Did you grind the slot for the oil drain with just a dremel tool and grinding bit? Thinking of doing that today!!
872 miles on the clone engine so far and it is still as perfect as the day I put her in. Always starts on the first pull unless I leave her in the sun on a 90+ degree day and the carb gets so hot it develops vapor lock. This happened once to me and it took about 5 tries to start. I know now that if I leave the bike in extreme hot weather to put my gloves over the carb to shade it. After that the fan blades on the flywheel makes the carb and intake tube always cold to the touch no matter what the weather. I was in a parade at 100 degrees and the carb was about 65 degrees the whole time :). Built in cold air system! I put one quart in the engine and just leave it that way. I use 10-30w full synthetic. I run a excavation hose from the hole in the valve cover to the bottom of the bike and it slowly drips out a drop every minute or so. Weather I have a full quart or a half quart it drips at the same rate, so this is not unusual. Make a dip stick you can stick it to tell half a quart and a full quart so you know what is going on. For the grinding of the case to help with oil drainage I used a file bit attachment for a drill. Harbor Freight sells them five for $5. Don't grind too much or you may go through the case. If you do go through the case it can be welded or JB Weld will permanently fix it. No big deal. It has to be done or you will have a pile of nasty sludge on the bottom that will never get out. Since we don't have oil filters you can go to radio shack and get a pack of tiny rare earth magnets and put them on the bolt head of the bolt that used to hold the oil level sensor, which you remove anyway. This will keep anything that should not be recirculated from keep floating around your engine in between oil changes. You can take the side case off once a year to clean the magnet off. I have tons of power with the stock cam, so be careful taking off so you don't break spokes or wear your tire out too fast. I have 520 miles on my rear Shwalabe so far and the center brick pattern tread is almost gone completely. I cut an old Shwalabe I had in half and the base rubber is about the same thickness as the brick patterned tread rubber, so even though the tread is gone you still have a decent amount of rubber covering the cord. So if you take off gently you can achieve
a good milage out of the rear. The stock Comet belt is not the best. If you look in my past writings I identify the kevlar belt you want to upgrade to as it wont stretch nearly as much. Looking forward to some pictures and video of your machine!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I've never been in a bike show before so this will be a new experience for me. No prep time as I just found out about it late last night. There is a motorized class, so I will shoot for that. Here is a flyer if any of you locals can make it. Wish me luck.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
That is a beautiful helmet and leggings. So what is the story behind them? Swap meet or Ebay? Garage sale that a little old lady was selling her husbands old things? Looks like history! Treat them well.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Cobra,
The legging and helmet came from ebay. The legging were about $50 plus shipping and I picked up the football helmet for my sports collection and it just so happened that I got into this and it was period correct. The helmet cost an arm and leg but was so cool. It had to be used buy at least three people. They all scratch their names into it which gives it character.