Coated two stroke pistons

GoldenMotor.com

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Ive been thinking about doing a run of two stroke pistons with hard coated crowns and hardcoated and ptfe treated skirts, reduced noise friction and heat. If I can get at least 10 people interested I'll give it a go, looking at $30 plus shipping, I'll knock it down to $22 if you do a core return of a piston in decent shape. This is the same treatment we do to the Mahle pistons and performance diesel pistons we coat at work.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yah, MD... I'm interested . That would be a real bargain price for that kind of service!

$22 is great! ... well, plus 5 0r 6 each way for the post office...

What piston clearance is advised in a cylinder with the piston treated in that fashion?
Could it be accomplished only by honing out the cylinder with a stone on a drill?

rc

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
no honing is needed, im running one in my smoker and i gave one to a local guy to try out. they been working great. the hard coat anodized process only builds up a layer of material from .0015-.002 inches.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
This does sound interesting. My take ?? Is it will reduce blow by gasses on sloppier tolerance designed engines and make them run more efficiently.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Yah, MD... I'm interested . That would be a real bargain price for that kind of service!

$22 is great! ... well, plus 5 0r 6 each way for the post office...

What piston clearance is advised in a cylinder with the piston treated in that fashion?
Could it be accomplished only by honing out the cylinder with a stone on a drill?

rc

Yeah, you really can't hone these thing's anyway, the hard chroming they use on the bores isn't much deeper than that. I use a hand applied DFL that goes on a little too thick, maybe thinned and sprayed from an air brush gun you could get it thin enough not to be a problem. The stuff I have is best on gear facing, solid bearings, Wrist pins and crank pins with roller bearings, places like those. I think there's benifits to DFL coating gear teeth, too. Anything there can only help :p.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
between here and the face book pages i got 8 pre orders, thats good enough for me, ill coat up 10 and post the other two up for sale, more details once the pistons get delivered and i can start masking them off for coating.