Your shop- Post a photo or three here!

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Use the "manage attatchments" after you click on "Reply" so they page won't take FOREVER to load for those of us on dial up PLEASE. This allows the photos to post as "thumbnails".

Thank you!

O.K., I'll start.
The shop is a 24'X24' garage, with an 8'X12' office built into it. I have my internet set up out here, so I can jump from forum to building, and it's also handy when working on anything and I need to look up parts, prices, or just take a break and check out the forum.

It's not nearly as crowded as the photo makes it look.

I have two workbenches 2'X12', and the rolling workbench.

That is a 46 year old orange tree that I am caretaker of in the corner.

The never ending MoonDog project in the foreground.

My shop represents my mind- cluttered and chaotic, yet it has everything I need to do anything I may need to do, plus I am the only one who can understand the methods to my madness.

Who's next?

Attachments

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Yes it is very small. When we moved to this new place I could only keep the equiptment that would fit. The beauty of it is I have plenty of room to do my machine work and it is so easy to heat during these long cold winters. Supposed to be 10 below zero later in the week!

John

Attachments

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Wow! Your shops are so neat and well organized! I'm too embarassed to even post a picture. My wife is totally incapable of throwing anything away so I have paths through the garage. Also, I usually have 4 or 5 half finished projects ongoing thus I have crap spread out all over my workbench. *sigh* My life is chaos!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Nice John! Has to be one of the cleanest, most orderly shop I have seen. There is a path threw mine.

I have the same drill press

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yes it is very small. When we moved to this new place I could only keep the equiptment that would fit. The beauty of it is I have plenty of room to do my machine work and it is so easy to heat during these long cold winters. Supposed to be 10 below zero later in the week!

John
John,
One question. How do you keep cutting oil off the wall behind the lathe? :)
Seriously, lovely place to work. My compliments, sir. I'm going to clean my garage before posting any pix. Or maybe I should do a before and after kind of thing. I have to share my space with two cars, a lawn mower, a snow blower, trash can, recycle bins, etc, etc......

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
John,
One question. How do you keep cutting oil off the wall behind the lathe? :)
Seriously, lovely place to work. My compliments, sir. I'm going to clean my garage before posting any pix. Or maybe I should do a before and after kind of thing. I have to share my space with two cars, a lawn mower, a snow blower, trash can, recycle bins, etc, etc......
That is a very good question Tom, since every shop I worked in always had a huge cutting oil stripe on the wall behind the Lathe's. So, if you take a close look at the picture of the Lathe you will notice a piece of White Masonite panel. I don't use alot of cutting oil, but when I do it wipes right off. I also have the colored epoxy floor to keep oil from staining it. The thing I don't like about my shop is with it being that small, I really don't have room to weld so it is out at my brother's shop. But as most machinist's will tell you we only weld something when we absolutely have to.

John

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I just moved so my garage is still full of boxes. I roll my motorbike out to the sunny part of the driveway before working on it. I'll clear out a spot one day. Cheers

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hmmmm...I guess no on wants to give away their secret batcave like shop interiors?
I know there is stiff competition...must want to keep those secret projects and hardcore R&D under wraps?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just trying to lower the bar for we who are less then neat.

I have yet to really set up the trailer and this is the cellar. Has power and heat

#2 pic is an old one and not supposed to be there, but love that bike. sold it *sniff*

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
My current "shop" is my super messy garage with junk all over the place. Tools are totally unorganized.

I should be closing on a house in a month, and it has a small shed on the side. I'm hoping to make that my workshop...only problem is it's pretty darned small...maybe 10x10 or so. That or we'll extend the garage a bit and make the back half a shop for me/studio for my wife and still have room for the car. Once that gets done I really want to get a welder, maybe a pipe bender, and maybe some type of machining tools.

I'll have to get a pic of my messy garage later.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thanks for posting those thumbnail sized photos Dan...for THOSE OF US ON DIAL UP!

I see two kinds of shops, those that have a cleaning lady come in, ;) and those that are (like the bikes in them) works in progress.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Well here you go Joe.......

I just have two metal sheds... one I use to keep the tools that are used more often and one for storage for big tools and junk. My second shed I cant even walk in it, I have to take everything out just to get something. To embarrassed to take pics of it. We had a auto repair business and a machine shop so have lots of equipment. But we keep all that at my uncle house. He has 30 acres and a huge two story shop, My dream someday.

I keep my 120 gal. air compressor in my laundry room, they tried to steal it one time. I can work just fine on my MB in the shed, but any auto work gets done in my car port and drive way.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I love snap-on..most of the tools are snap-on. I've got Cornwell, Proto & most recently craftsman. The tool box was on sale is the only reason I have it. You should see my dads snap-on tool box, I couldn't even fit it in the shed.

Have you ever tried to get snap-on to warranty their tools? I have tons of broken snap-on tools waiting for them. I have to lie to them and tell them that I am going to buy some new tools, then when I bring my broken tools they say I will be back later to replace them...I never see them again.

Cornwell & Craftsman on the other hand always replaces there tools.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan - lower the bar? hah! I don't think the bar is any lower. You ain't seen nothin :)

Nice shop fair. I have to frown on the Mac tool box though :( (snap-on guy here. I left a bunch of nice boxes in Phoenix unfortunately)

edit - you can catch some small glimpses of it here:

http://motorbicycling.com/f26/painting-my-bike-4656.html

(sorry BGJ, no thumbnails on that one)
LOL Jason.

PS, that tank came out awesome! Nice job.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
LOL Jason.

PS, that tank came out awesome! Nice job.
Yeah, it WAS nice. Till my gas cap leaked and it's now not so nice :(

Fair,

I haven't tried replacing anything, because I haven't broken anything :) Most of the stuff I have was scratch-and-dent type stuff anyway.

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
I think this will officially lower the bar. My "shop" is an 11x18 future master bedroom/current storage area/ construction zone/ bicycle assembly area. Having seen most of you guys' shops all I want to know is, who do I have to kill to get one like it? Just kidding(or not).

Attachments